Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
2dHNVgS.gif

First thought in my head too :laugh:

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Depends what was offered for them.

You can have all the best forwards in the league but if your defence is still half-full of AHL-calibre guys, you need to make some adjustments.

Johnson, Barrie, are a great 1-2 down the right side, but Guenin/Holden/Hejda/Stuart down the left side does not a cup make

Charlatan

Mar 4, 2014
Scotland
No question about it. Id love to have Mak here forever but you don't pass on a generational talent.

Never going to happen but you couldn't pass on that.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Statistically improbable, but man, we'd be set if all 3 guys did.

Sometimes I wonder if 2 of those 3 could already hold down the left side better than the mess we have there (Hejda, Guenin, Holden). I honestly wouldn't be surprised at all.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
It'll be interesting to see where McDavid lands

I mean my concern for him is that if he goes to ARZ, TOR, BUF he is immediately going to be slotted in as a no.1 C esp in BUF
Mack and Seth Jones were so supported on their respective teams that if their spots were reversed I think they would have struggled mightily

I mean is ARZ going to add some serious offensive support and BUF just cant score to save their lives

As much as I hate to seem here there, he would do well offensively in EDM.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
In 4 years this team will be trending down. I hope I'm wrong.

Edit:

Okay maybe 5-6. Our key guys are stilooking so young.

Pretty damn hard to say how the team will look in 5-6 years. We may not have the foundation in place for it yet, but draft choices , proper trading and signings can basically create an entirely new competing team in that time.

If the most of our stars remained the same. We'd still have a Mackinnon(24), Duchene(30), Landeskog (28),O'Reilly(30) (unlikely), Barrie(29), Johnson (31)...even if not hopefully decent trading doesn't leave those as major holes in the line-up. I would also expect atleast 2-3 nhl players from 5 drafts. Plus we have Siemens, Bigras, Geertsen and Bleackley hopefully turning out for us.

So long story short, just because the team might be starting to be taken apart by then compared to now, doesn't mean it will necessarily be a worse team.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

I mean my concern for him is that if he goes to ARZ, TOR, BUF he is immediately going to be slotted in as a no.1 C esp in BUF
Mack and Seth Jones were so supported on their respective teams that if their spots were reversed I think they would have struggled mightily

I mean is ARZ going to add some serious offensive support and BUF just cant score to save their lives

I hope he lands in Edmonton just because I'd love to see what management does to screw up the team after drafting him. Probably something stupid like trading Nugent-Hopkins and then making McDavid/Draisaitl the top 2 centres on the team next season lol.

He'll probably end up in Toronto, though. It's just too good of a story to not happen. The Ontario boy who grew up cheering for the Leafs and is the best prospect since Crosby going to Toronto, while the American kid who if in most other drafts would probably be a good bet to go 1st overall going to the American team, Buffalo. Builds an instant rivalry, too. Leafs/Sabres already hate each other, this would add immense fuel to the fire since both teams would essentially be starting from the ground up.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Why trade one for the other, when we are just going to win the lottery and have both on the same line.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Until Edmonton fixes their other gaping holes, they can add 3 McDavids and they'll still sit outside the playoffs

That management group is just so incompetent it's mind boggling. We thought we had it rough with the previous regime over the last couple years. I would hate being an Oilers fan. It's depressing talking hockey with them here in Edmonton because they know almost every year the last 10 years, their season is usually over by November/December.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Buffalo won't Oiler him. That's why murray has such a clue for ROR. Girgs will help them ease their young Cs in, but they're still looking for someone to play the stastny role for them. If they can't get ROR they'll look elsewhere and I wouldn't be surprised if they signed Vermette to a fat 3 year deal.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
New insider article out on ESPN today with this exact same topic. Actual NHL GM's basically suggest the idea of trading away the 1st pick is laughable, let alone doing a 1 for 1 straight up for MacKinnon.

The fact that this poll is only at 76% shows that people become too attached to players.

I wouldn't hesitate to wager any sum of money that all 30 NHL GM's would rather have McDavid.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm excited to see McDavid prove me wrong, but I'll remain skeptical that he really is on a different tier than the MacK we saw in the mem cup or down the stretch + playoffs last year until I see McD doing it in the NHL.

Now if I had that pick, I wouldn't trade it away for MacK either, even feeling the way I do. Likely cause I'd just trust my scouts and it seems likely they'd favor McD, but also because that's not the kind of trade you can make unless everyone in your organization shares my view of MacKinnon and is skeptical of McDavid; and even then you can't do it 1 for 1. The fanbase might revolt, all of the great hype teams like Buffalo and Arizona are building about their futures would evaporate, and unless McDavid busted (not just failed to match the hype like Tavares) or MacK lead you to multiple cups quickly, you couldn't come away from a 1 for 1 trade without it hurting your resume/reputation/image.

So I understand no GM actually making such a trade if in position to do it...but I'm still not sold that the on ice results between mack and mcdavid won't be a lot more crosby/malkin or sakic/foppa than Ovy/nash. And if that does prove to be true, I just can't get on board with giving away the guy who's already shown that his skills are special against the pros and spent two seasons growing with the rest of our core and fitting in nicely...plus he's a year older and closer to the rest of our core. They're already sorta gunna have to wait for MacK and Bigras/Siemens/Gaertsen, if we swapped MacK for McDavid that's even longer we'd have to wait until he's adjusted to the NHL and gained the experience he'll need for us to be cup contenders with him.

Now I may have gone from under-rating mack before the mem cup, to over-rating him after last season because of how he blew me away and how crazy young he is, as MacK has only made me more certain that he'll be a perennial top 5 player who's the best in the NHL for multiple seasons in his career. But even with his struggles this season, I was really happy to see him keep plugging away and making big progress on the defensive side of the puck while figuring out how to adjust to the adjustments the league made to him offensively. If he could've stayed healthy I'm certain he would've gone on an absolute tear to finish the season closer to 25 goals than to 20, and with ~35 assists for a 55-60 point season despite all of his struggles...at least. Everything he'd been learning was coming together plus his tendency to crank his play up as the games get more important was going to lead to a monster for these final ~20 games that he'll miss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad