Proposal: MacKinnon for McDavid

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Absolutely. I love MacKinnon, but just look at these numbers for the last 6 forward through their first 38 CHL games in their draft year compared to McDavid:

MacKinnon: 27 goals, 38 assists, 65 points
Yakupov: 30 goals, 35 assists, 65 points
Nugent-Hopkins: 10 goals, 39 assists, 49 points
Hall: 29 goals, 39 assists, 68 points
Tavares: 35 goals, 33 assists, 68 points
Stamkos: 33 goals, 29 assists, 62 points

McDavid: 37 goals, 63 assists, 100 points. What he's doing hasn't been seen since Crosby, and he's on pace to put up 158 points if he were to play 62 games like Crosby did. Crosby had 168. Kid is going to be the real deal, the hype behind him is real

MacWinnon

Jul 2, 2012
Mountains, Somewhere
I would keep McDavid if the Sabres win the lottery.

I keep MacKinnon, but I can see either sides of the story here. I'm honestly just very tired of people saying stuff like, "99 out of 100 Avs fans would trade MacKinnon for McDavid." So I just wanted to see what the numbers actually look like on here.

MacWinnon

Jul 2, 2012
Mountains, Somewhere
Absolutely. I love MacKinnon, but just look at these numbers for the last 6 forward through their first 38 CHL games in their draft year compared to McDavid:

MacKinnon: 27 goals, 38 assists, 65 points
Yakupov: 30 goals, 35 assists, 65 points
Nugent-Hopkins: 10 goals, 39 assists, 49 points
Hall: 29 goals, 39 assists, 68 points
Tavares: 35 goals, 33 assists, 68 points
Stamkos: 33 goals, 29 assists, 62 points

McDavid: 37 goals, 63 assists, 100 points. What he's doing hasn't been seen since Crosby, and he's on pace to put up 158 points if he were to play 62 games like Crosby did. Crosby had 168. Kid is going to be the real deal, the hype behind him is real
It's not as if I don't think he's going to be a special player or anything, but I just think MacKinnon will really put it together in the next year or two, to the point where I think the move would be close to lateral for us anyways. I don't know, it's an interesting question.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It's not as if I don't think he's going to be a special player or anything, but I just think MacKinnon will really put it together in the next year or two, to the point where I think the move would be close to lateral for us anyways. I don't know, it's an interesting question.

I don't think it would be lateral at all. MacKinnon is going to be a great player I have no doubts about that. But McDavid is going to be a franchise changing player.

To me, it's like asking "Would you trade a prime Sidney Crosby for Ilya Kovalchuk or Rick Nash?"

No doubt the latter two are outstanding players, and in the case of Kovalchuk, he was IMO one of the top 10 forwards every year. But Sidney Crosby was THE top forward. That's what I think is going to be the difference. I believe that MacKinnon is going to be in the top-10, maybe even top-5 if he puts the work in. But ultimately I believe McDavid is going to be the new face of the NHL

EDIT: Should have phrased that second part better. More like saying would you trade Sidney Crosby heading into the 2005 draft for Kovalchuk or Nash

Last edited:

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I make the trade just because one is a possible generational talent, the other is just a possible bad assed mofo. I love Mack though.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Ugh this is a terrible hypothetical. I'd take mackinnon, he's our player with 2 more years development and a known quantity. And I totally get McDavid is likely to be the better player. That's where this question becomes impossible. Like you are supposed to pick him of else you are just a stupid homer.

Draisaitl

Dude, where's Makar?
Oct 18, 2013
Berlin
giphy.com
Ugh this is a terrible hypothetical. I'd take mackinnon, he's our player with 2 more years development and a known quantity. And I totally get McDavid is likely to be the better player. That's where this question becomes impossible. Like you are supposed to pick him of else you are just a stupid homer.

I am a stupid homer and voted for MacKinnon.

Still got a slight hope of winning the lottery anyways, in case we shud actually(!) miss the playoffs. Most likely we're catching Winnipeg and Calgary still:naughty:

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I am a stupid homer and voted for MacKinnon.

Still got a slight hope of winning the lottery anyways, in case we shud actually(!) miss the playoffs. Most likely we're catching Winnipeg and Calgary still:naughty:

That's the spirit. Hope for the playoffs, and if not, hope for McDavid! And if that fails Avs still get a good prospect and build on a good run this season after a terrible start.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I make the trade just because one is a possible generational talent, the other is just a possible bad assed mofo. I love Mack though.

My thoughts as well

The minute an outsider sees this they will want to throw in the "MacKinnon + ___________" post.

My guess is the blank would be enough for me to vote to keep MacKinnon and the ____________

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I keep MacK. If he weren't hurt earlier in the season his draft year stats would've been ridiculous as well. And he's already shown how his game can translate to the NHL, McDavid's still gotta prove that.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't think it would be lateral at all. MacKinnon is going to be a great player I have no doubts about that. But McDavid is going to be a franchise changing player.

To me, it's like asking "Would you trade a prime Sidney Crosby for Ilya Kovalchuk or Rick Nash?"

No doubt the latter two are outstanding players, and in the case of Kovalchuk, he was IMO one of the top 10 forwards every year. But Sidney Crosby was THE top forward. That's what I think is going to be the difference. I believe that MacKinnon is going to be in the top-10, maybe even top-5 if he puts the work in. But ultimately I believe McDavid is going to be the new face of the NHL

EDIT: Should have phrased that second part better. More like saying would you trade Sidney Crosby heading into the 2005 draft for Kovalchuk or Nash

I have a hard time seeing MacK not become at least a top 5 player at some point in his career if he stays healthy. And if he's not the best player in the NHL for at least a couple seasons in his career, I'll be mildly surprised. IMO this will be more like trading Malkin for Crosby, only we've already had Malkin for two seasons, and we'd be moving him for Crosby before he's even stepped onto the NHL ice.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I take McDavid.

I think he'll be at least as good as Mac. The tiebreaker for me is to have McDavid on a rookie deal for 1 more year than Mac.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
I see McD as a notch above Mac just from the OHL stats alone. It's an easier decision when you take the sentimentality out of it.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I see McD as a notch above Mac just from the OHL stats alone. It's an easier decision when you take the sentimentality out of it.

So what's the point then if sentimentality isn't taken into account? McDavid wins every poll until he gets in the NHL because nobody approaches his potential and you can't argue against it. It's like a trick question.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
This question really does feel like a trap, but when trying to be objective:

Do I give up the #1 pick if the Avs offer up Natty? ... I honestly don't think I would.

Would I offer him up if I thought I could pull in that pick on draft day, even though he's my favorite player on my favorite team? It'd be tough, but most likely. What indication exists that McDavid wouldn't live up to his promise?

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I have a hard time seeing MacK not become at least a top 5 player at some point in his career if he stays healthy. And if he's not the best player in the NHL for at least a couple seasons in his career, I'll be mildly surprised. IMO this will be more like trading Malkin for Crosby, only we've already had Malkin for two seasons, and we'd be moving him for Crosby before he's even stepped onto the NHL ice.

People don't understand how young MacKinnon is. I think at the start of the season he was still one of the youngest players in NHL alongside with Barkov. These guys are unbelievable talents. MacKinnon will be great player in NHL.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Do you think Mac has lived up to his promise already, on the flip side?

I think the first season was pretty much perfect for him. Sure this season has been step back, but the first season was great for him. Heck, he even broke Gretzky's record. That's pretty insane.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't even think MacKinnon took a step back. He had a tough year but so did everyone else. He was never faring worse than anyone else at any time. I still think he's our most talented forward. My opinion of his hasn't changed at all this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad