Proposal: Mackinnon for Hayes and Zibanajad

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I can usually at least follow the logic. Not always agree with it, but this one is just extra out there. Barrie is no Tanev or Hjalmarsson, but he isn't terrible defensively.

And considering the NYR have guys like Girardi, Staal, Holden and Klein.......Barrie would be a welcomed addition.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
At least start with Buchnevich lmao

Hayes is probably the most valuable asset the Rangers have

6'5 220lb... 24 year old center... 76-17-32-49 career season... led the NHL in shorthanded points

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Wouldn't do it if I was the Rangers

Two young 50 point centers that haven't finished developing, or one young 60 point center that isn't finished developing?

Easy decision. Don't see MacKinnon developing into the PPG superstar people predicted him to become after his rookie year.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Wouldn't do it if I was the Rangers

Two young 50 point centers that haven't finished developing, or one young 60 point center that isn't finished developing?

Easy decision. Don't see MacKinnon developing into the PPG superstar people predicted him to become after his rookie year.

This is how I see it as well. I don't think ZBad and MacKinnon's production will differ by too much over the next 5ish years. Definitely not worth adding Hayes.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I honestly would consider:

McD for MacK

Rangers add cap to even salary.
How about McD+ Stepan for MacK+ Barrie?

With the emergence of Skjei, maybe he passes McD on the depth chart in another season or so?

I think they want a little more and get it, but this is a core for a package worth discussing.

It does need to recognize, however, Barrie is a cap dump only here, has no solid value as a D. He can skate well enough but is a negative on actually playing defense.

Well, if that's the case, we should be able to swap him for Beauchemin, right?

I don't think I've ever read a more incorrect statement on here.

I stand by what I said.

And I was honest in my representation that Barrie was a cap dump here.
Beauch is 2 years and a full 1mil/yr less, so even tho he is 36 yrs old = 35 yr old restrictions on his contract, sure, Beauch instead of Barrie is fine under the circumstances.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I stand by what I said.

And I was honest in my representation that Barrie was a cap dump here.
Beauch is 2 years and a full 1mil/yr less, so even tho he is 36 yrs old = 35 yr old restrictions on his contract, sure, Beauch instead of Barrie is fine under the circumstances.

I respect your dedication to your beliefs. I really do.

But if you honestly believe Beauch = Barrie, there are serious issues here.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I respect your dedication to your beliefs. I really do.
But if you honestly believe Beauch = Barrie, there are serious issues here.

Oh, I've seen it before. But usually it's not as bad as beauch=barrie.

Not saying that. Did not say THAT.
Am representing that a cap dump would have to come to NY. Few possibilities.
I did say Barrie can skate but not play defense.
I never said Beauch was all that, let alone the proverbial bag of chips.
If the objective is a cap dump, Beauch for less $ and term are more desirable.

Totally has nothing to do with comparative production.
Totally all about cap dump

Bern is.....special
That's one way to describe someone who long ago suggested:

Stepan + a pre-injured Marc Staal + a shotblocking champ Girardi, when all were younger, and the wonder twins were more wonderful
for
rookie Taylor Hall

It turned out the way it has,
but Rangers would be better off
and given the temporary good production of Staal/Girardi, who could have been moved for picks/prospects,
arguably that was a better return than Larsson

.. but getting credit for thinking outside the box is
a special recognition:laugh::D:naughty:;)

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Wouldn't common sense dictate than an awful hockey team in the rebuilding process would want to build the team around a star 21yr old center like Mackinnon? Why would Colorado even remotely consider trading him? Let's stop the Tom-foolery here.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

That's one way to describe someone who long ago suggested:

Stepan + a pre-injured Marc Staal + a shotblocking champ Girardi, when all were younger, and the wonder twins were more wonderful
for
rookie Taylor Hall

It turned out the way it has,
but Rangers would be better off
and given the temporary good production of Staal/Girardi, who could have been moved for picks/prospects,
arguably that was a better return than Larsson

.. but getting credit for thinking outside the box is
a special recognition:laugh::D:naughty:;)

I think im still just struggling with the idea that a 25 year old, top 4 defenseman, signed for 5.5 million for a few years, who is 24th in points between this year and last is considered a cap dump. Maybe thats my issue.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

I don't think you understand the concept of a cap dump.

A productive player signed to a reasonable contract for what he brings to the table is not a cap dump.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Only thing a #1Center will ever trade for, is another #1C or a #1Dman.

Not picks. Not prospects. Not Wingers, not a collection of #2s.

#1C or #1Dman.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
This is how I see it as well. I don't think ZBad and MacKinnon's production will differ by too much over the next 5ish years. Definitely not worth adding Hayes.

Comments like this just prove how ignorant 99% of HF is when it comes to players outside their own team.

Lets do some simple math... Colorado as a team scored 166 goals, MacKinnon had 53 pts meaning he was in on 53 of 166 goals, which means he was in on 53/166= 32% of Colorado's goals.

Zibanejad has 37/56=.66 pts per game*82 games= 54pts if he had played 82 games. So NYR scored 256 goals meaning had he been healthy all year he'd been in on 54/256= 21% of the team goals.

Had MacKinnon been on the Rangers this year and produced at a similar rate he'd scored 256*.32 = 81pts.

MacKinnon actually had a really solid year, it's not his fault that our team was completely incompetent, he did everything he could to contribute. In fact if you break down the numbers his 32% rate was with elite company. Crosby's rate was 31.5%, Backstrom was at 32%, P. Kane was 36%, McDavid was highest in the league at 40%.

I guarantee that over the next 5 seasons Zibanejab and MacKinnon will not have similar production rates, MacKinnon will blow Zibby out of the water. Numbers are on my side assuming that Colorado actually does something to get a better supporting cast. As that is the one thing a player can't control.

Bordeleau Of Blood

Archangel
Jul 28, 2005
Wouldn't common sense dictate than an awful hockey team in the rebuilding process would want to build the team around a star 21yr old center like Mackinnon? Why would Colorado even remotely consider trading him? Let's stop the Tom-foolery here.

That's not even mentioning that he has six years left on his contract.

There are players available from the Avs, Nathan MacKinnon is not one of them.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
At least start with Buchnevich lmao

Buch, Hayes, First, + Ok prospect. Sure, I'd do a quantity for quality. I think Mack would be insane on the Rangers.

Last edited:

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Comments like this just prove how ignorant 99% of HF is when it comes to players outside their own team.

Lets do some simple math... Colorado as a team scored 166 goals, MacKinnon had 53 pts meaning he was in on 53 of 166 goals, which means he was in on 53/166= 32% of Colorado's goals.

Zibanejad has 37/56=.66 pts per game*82 games= 54pts if he had played 82 games. So NYR scored 256 goals meaning had he been healthy all year he'd been in on 54/256= 21% of the team goals.

Had MacKinnon been on the Rangers this year and produced at a similar rate he'd scored 256*.32 = 81pts.

MacKinnon actually had a really solid year, it's not his fault that our team was completely incompetent, he did everything he could to contribute. In fact if you break down the numbers his 32% rate was with elite company. Crosby's rate was 31.5%, Backstrom was at 32%, P. Kane was 36%, McDavid was highest in the league at 40%.

I guarantee that over the next 5 seasons Zibanejab and MacKinnon will not have similar production rates, MacKinnon will blow Zibby out of the water. Numbers are on my side assuming that Colorado actually does something to get a better supporting cast. As that is the one thing a player can't control.

You can't just cherry pick and manipulate stats like that. To assume MacKinnon would be involved in 33% of the Rangers offense is ambitious to say the least.

Edit: this proposal is insane and would never happen anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad