Proposal: Mackinnon for Hayes and Zibanajad

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Yeah, the OP is just not even close for Mackinnon. And I'm a Sens fan that loves Zibby.

Seems to be working pretty well. Edit Sorry that was a joke lol

Value aside, I can't believe how sour our fanbase is on Zibanejad.

Just wondering why your fans are sour on Zibby?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Was hoping for a bern thread.

The Avs are definitely not going to trade their franchise center for merely two wingers or players. Good draft picks and prospects must come back as well.

Avalanche will want a bigger main piece

Avs have right to demand overpayment in excess of fair value here.
And only reason Rangers consider it is to have top line of Kreider - Miller - MacK

The trick for NY is to reasonably overpay w/out gutting the team
Trick for Colorado is to not overplay its hand and turn down a top deal.

consider:
unless Canes would actually part w/Hanifin -- which is huge IF --- do not see 1 for 1 deal Avs like.

also, Rangers should surrender established value of Stepan instead of potential of Hayes

---------------
if we make Stepan the core piece w/solid + after that, it should be winning competitive offer.
I will understand if Avs prefer to keep MacK as an asset, though on current team that would be tough, or to try for best results with Duchene, but he does not fetch anywhere near MacK

--------

Stepan, even on poor Ranger teams, has always produced like 50+-ish points/season, superior defense vs most Fs. Heady, responsible, great passer, makes linemates better. He is all that but not also a bag of chips. He is roughly 20th best C, no more, no less.

Zib, recovered from broken leg earlier this year, was 6OA, and nothing to sneeze at. Solid, stronger than most, solid but not flash speed.
You could just see Miller keeping up with Kreider and MacKinnon blowing past everybody; if not for that, I might keep Zib

Rangers keep Hayes to add to Miller as top 2 Cs, w/MacK to 1RW and emergency/contingency 1C

Core of Stepan + Zib + Ranger 2017 1st
for
MacK + acceptable cap dump gets it done

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Need defense coming back. Wouldnt do the op for Duchene.

MacKinnon would need McDonagh involved. Possibly even for Duchene too.

Duchene
2nd 2017

for

McDonagh
Staal

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Rangers want MacKinnon? They better offer up more than Hayes and Zibanejad. I'm thinking Skjei and a 2017 1st.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He is roughly 20th best C, no more, no less.

Core of Stepan + Zib + Ranger 2017 1st
for
MacK + acceptable cap dump gets it done

There are more than 20 centres in the NHL I'd take ahead of Derek Stepan.

Also, that deal doesn't get it done. MacKinnon is still only 21 years old and has already played 4 NHL seasons. IIRC MacKinnon was top-10 in the league in points % relative to his team's total goals.

Colorado was absolutely god awful this season and MacKinnon actually had a respectable season. Any other team in the league and we're probably looking at a 70+ point season from MacKinnon.

This isn't to say Stepan and Zibanejad are awful players; they're good players. But the Avs aren't trading their franchise player for guys like Stepan and Zibanejad + a late 1st round pick.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
There are more than 20 centres in the NHL I'd take ahead of Derek Stepan.

Also, that deal doesn't get it done. MacKinnon is still only 21 years old and has already played 4 NHL seasons. IIRC MacKinnon was top-10 in the league in points % relative to his team's total goals.

Colorado was absolutely god awful this season and MacKinnon actually had a respectable season. Any other team in the league and we're probably looking at a 70+ point season from MacKinnon.

This isn't to say Stepan and Zibanejad are awful players; they're good players. But the Avs aren't trading their franchise player for guys like Stepan and Zibanejad + a late 1st round pick.

Not so sure I agree there are 20 guys more worthy, if you take everything into account. For example, guy like Giroux is not much better offensively, sucks defensively. That said, a subjective list like that is more likely to be driven by opinion, not concurrence of hard fact.

Be that as it may
I subbed Stepan for Hayes in the OP to see your reaction
Then given response said in update
how about McDonagh +?

Can that work as a core?
Kreider, Miller, Hayes, Skjei are off the table
that leaves several good pieces still.

scratchhayes*

Mar 24, 2016
Rangers would be extremely dumb to trade Zibanejad. I project him as a 60 point, 55% faceoff guy in 2-3 years. So no, the Rangers would not do this. Hayes I give another year. If he hasn't figured the playoffs out by next year, I move him for a young, talented defenseman which I think they can easily do. He took a big step forward in the regular season this year. Depth wins. Trading two talented forwards for a guy who hasn't lived up to his number 1 overall draft spot is dumb. McKinnon is young but as of now he's a 50 point center who like almost all Av's, sucks defensively.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Rangers would be extremely dumb to trade Zibanejad. I project him as a 60 point, 55% faceoff guy in 2-3 years. So no, the Rangers would not do this. Hayes I give another year. If he hasn't figured the playoffs out by next year, I move him for a young, talented defenseman which I think they can easily do. He took a big step forward in the regular season this year. Depth wins. Trading two talented forwards for a guy who hasn't lived up to his number 1 overall draft spot is dumb. McKinnon is young but as of now he's a 50 point center who like almost all Av's, sucks defensively.

Logic is solid, and we can't move Hayes, we need a C w/size, esp if it is bad enough we would have to overpay surrender Zib. But the point is MacKinnon + Kreider and prob Miller would be lights out domination, both become more productive.

There may be a combo for MacK, but it is not Hayes + Zib, so that point is moot.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I honestly would consider:

McD for MacK

Rangers add cap to even salary.

How about McD+ Stepan for MacK+ Barrie?

With the emergence of Skjei, maybe he passes McD on the depth chart in another season or so?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I honestly would consider:

McD for MacK

Rangers add cap to even salary.

How about McD+ Stepan for MacK+ Barrie?

With the emergence of Skjei, maybe he passes McD on the depth chart in another season or so?

I think they want a little more and get it, but this is a core for a package worth discussing.

It does need to recognize, however, Barrie is a cap dump only here, has no solid value as a D. He can skate well enough but is a negative on actually playing defense.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I think they want a little more and get it, but this is a core for a package worth discussing.

It does need to recognize, however, Barrie is a cap dump only here, has no solid value as a D. He can skate well enough but is a negative on actually playing defense.

Well, if that's the case, we should be able to swap him for Beauchemin, right?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

I don't think I've ever read a more incorrect statement on here.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Not so sure I agree there are 20 guys more worthy, if you take everything into account. For example, guy like Giroux is not much better offensively, sucks defensively. That said, a subjective list like that is more likely to be driven by opinion, not concurrence of hard fact.

Be that as it may
I subbed Stepan for Hayes in the OP to see your reaction
Then given response said in update
how about McDonagh +?

Can that work as a core?
Kreider, Miller, Hayes, Skjei are off the table
that leaves several good pieces still.

Of course it is subjective but I'd be willing to bet most people would not rank Stepan in the top-20 for centres in the league.

There is nothing that the Rangers have that would realistically get the Avs to trade Nathan MacKinnon, unless the package coming back is absurd like Kreider + Miller + Skjei. That's a ludicrous overpayment but other pieces simply don't get it done. The Avs are about to embark on yet another rebuild, so trading 21 year old Nathan MacKinnon for anything short of a king's ransom should not happen.

McDonagh is a real good player, but he turns 28 in June. Not that 28 is old, but by the time the Avs are ready to compete he'll likely be 30 and needing a new contract, and that contract could look VERY bad if he has a really good next 2 seasons.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Of course it is subjective but I'd be willing to bet most people would not rank Stepan in the top-20 for centres in the league.

There is nothing that the Rangers have that would realistically get the Avs to trade Nathan MacKinnon, unless the package coming back is absurd like Kreider + Miller + Skjei. That's a ludicrous overpayment but other pieces simply don't get it done. The Avs are about to embark on yet another rebuild, so trading 21 year old Nathan MacKinnon for anything short of a king's ransom should not happen.

McDonagh is a real good player, but he turns 28 in June. Not that 28 is old, but by the time the Avs are ready to compete he'll likely be 30 and needing a new contract, and that contract could look VERY bad if he has a really good next 2 seasons.

lol what

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes