MacKenzie interview w/ MacT

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Pretty sure MacT blames last year almost completely on Dubnyk. Eakins seems to get a free pass from him still as if he was just an innocent bystander while Dubs single handedly ruined the whole season. Might be an eyeopening year for him if we still play poorly using Eakins tactics.

Pretty hard not too consider what happened. Hell if you "read between the lines" in any interview Taylor Hall gave after Scrivens and Fasth arrived, you can see that Hall blamed Dubnyk as well.

The whole plan for the year was submarined, because they 2 goalies who just Didn't make saves. I don't care what "tactics" you think would have been better, doesn't matter much when your goalies Don't Make saves.

I like the interview, Mac-T much more calm and measured about things.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Pretty hard not too consider what happened. Hell if you "read between the lines" in any interview Taylor Hall gave after Scrivens and Fasth arrived, you can see that Hall blamed Dubnyk as well.

The whole plan for the year was submarined, because they 2 goalies who just Didn't make saves. I don't care what "tactics" you think would have been better, doesn't matter much when your goalies Don't Make saves.

I like the interview, Mac-T much more calm and measured about things.

Was that what Hall said?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I know he called Scrivens "team MVP" a large number of times. That tells me all I need to know.

Talking about not having to worry about making a mistake because you had Scrivens back there was something a few guys brought up quite often as well.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah the old 'building by seeing what shakes loose theory' a time honored winning strategy.

Yeah the Bryz thing is a perfect example, he waited with an obvious weakness (after all he threw Dubnyk under the bus before the season) and acted once the season was lost after 25 games or whatever it was.

Pretty sure we talked to Bryz in the summer and he wasn't interested. They also spent quite a bit of time during the season before Bryz would actually sign. It's not like they phoned and 10 minutes later Bryz signed a deal.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Maybe i drink the koolaid but MacT is and always has been a very smart person. I trust he is exploring every avenue he can to make sure he gets what he can, without crippling the team to fill the holes he has. He fixed the goaltending ( i still believe Fasth will be the starter before christmas). he took garbagekov, potter, larsen, fraser, etc and turned it into Fayne, Nikitin as well as bringing up marincin and klefbom. Our defence is significantly better than when we started last season. He brought in Pouliot and purcell to add veteran players on the wings to help out the younger forwards on the team. at teh same time our Star players like Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov have to step up their games. the "they are still young" excuse is done. they have proven they can play at a high level in this league now they need to elevate their games. the hole is at C and we know it and he knows it. I trust MacT to fix that problem one way or another.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
If the team is still struggling 20-25 games into the season, it's time for Mac T to admit he made a mistake and let go of Eakins.

He'll effectively have had three seperate training camps by that time (last season, the Olympic break last year, and again this year's camp) to instill some type of workable system, if he still can't do it you fire him, let Ramsay take over as interim coach until you find a better candidate to bring in.

With the way the schedule is light to start the season, i believe if the team falters out of the gate Eakins coukd be gone by the ten game mark.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Not sure how you extrapolated that from watching the video.

MacT clearly didn't throw Nuge and Ebs under the bus. He wants them to take the next step is all.

Maybe you would understand it better if you took off your "I hate Oilers Management and Coaches glasses".

Nice try on twisting the truth there Oi'll say.

Maybe try harder next time.
"Oh, look over there at Nuge and Ebs, needing to get better. Forget about the dogvomit coaching change I made last year, or the terrible signings I made in the off season. Nuge and Ebs need to get better and if they don't then we will revisit this conversation."

MacT needs to worry more about how much of an idiot he is and less about what other people are doing.

FYI I didn't watch the video. I could hate MacT just by what I could see of him from the surface of the moon with my naked eye.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Maybe i drink the koolaid but MacT is and always has been a very smart person. I trust he is exploring every avenue he can to make sure he gets what he can, without crippling the team to fill the holes he has. He fixed the goaltending ( i still believe Fasth will be the starter before christmas). he took garbagekov, potter, larsen, fraser, etc and turned it into Fayne, Nikitin as well as bringing up marincin and klefbom. Our defence is significantly better than when we started last season. He brought in Pouliot and purcell to add veteran players on the wings to help out the younger forwards on the team. at teh same time our Star players like Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov have to step up their games. the "they are still young" excuse is done. they have proven they can play at a high level in this league now they need to elevate their games. the hole is at C and we know it and he knows it. I trust MacT to fix that problem one way or another.

Macy's re-emergence in oil town was intended to come just as the welfare draft picks that he helped us obtain were supposed to be helping this team turned the corner. Instead he took the upswing season of 2012/13 into the dumpster dive season of 2013/14.

If you look at the value of the oilers assets before and after MacT's season as gm it's brutally obvious that the oilers only threaded water asset-wise due to the addition of the third overall pick.

oilz89*

I agree except with the part of you saying that Yakupov can't still use the "they are still young" excuse. He's played just a season and a half. He needs a bit more patience. Someone needs to tell Haircut that

By Haircut i mean the Great Dallas Eakins :sarcasm:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
So I finally read the article. Expecting that Mac T never made the comment that Digger12 refers to... that got people jumping on me for just taking Digger 12 at his word.

Mac T clearly states "We all know Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle are really good players but what we don't know is whether they are star players. They have a lot of room for growth...but they've had enough experience and enough time. I think, in fairness to them, they want this more so than anybody else. We need to see whether they're going to be good players or whether they're going to be star players."

So Digger12 was right in his comment and I was right in stating Mac T's comment is out to lunch.

Hopkins is a featherweight player with advanced hockey IQ and vision. RNH will need a lot more time before he reaches his potential. His skill set requires time to get his strength/weight up and experience to utilize his hockey IQ. RNH may well not be a star until he is 25+, much like his draft comparable Pavel Datsyuk.

I am blown away that Mac T would even suggest The Nuge needs to be a star now at this point in his career. Shows a complete lack of common sense. I can only hope RNH uses it as motivation and Mac T just had a brain cramp.

Joseppi

Oct 12, 2008
Kepler-22b
"Oh, look over there at Nuge and Ebs, needing to get better. Forget about the dogvomit coaching change I made last year, or the terrible signings I made in the off season. Nuge and Ebs need to get better and if they don't then we will revisit this conversation."

MacT needs to worry more about how much of an idiot he is and less about what other people are doing.

FYI I didn't watch the video. I could hate MacT just by what I could see of him from the surface of the moon with my naked eye.

Why are you making such strong statements from a stance of ignorance? MacT wasn't calling out either of the players, he was saying that they have it in them to be stars, but they haven't got there yet.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Why are you making such strong statements from a stance of ignorance? MacT wasn't calling out either of the players, he was saying that they have it in them to be stars, but they haven't got there yet.

I guess the new evidence is that the word is want, and that most of the expectation comes
From the players themselves.

I have one less reason to hate MacT, but a million minus one is still for all intents and purposes one million. It's an order of magnitude kind of hate, not something born of a specific incident.

I will continue to comb the far reaches of the Oilosphere for more reasons to fire MacT.

oilz89*

I guess the new evidence is that the word is want, and that most of the expectation comes
From the players themselves.

I have one less reason to hate MacT, but a million minus one is still for all intents and purposes one million. It's an order of magnitude kind of hate, not something born of a specific incident.

I will continue to comb the far reaches of the Oilosphere for more reasons to fire MacT.

Yeah your right.. he's not as great as the Amazing Tambellini :help: Atleast MacT is trying to make changes and create a different culture.

All Tambellini did was bring the suck on us and get us Hall.. which I could've done as a gm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad