MacKenzie interview w/ MacT

Joseppi

Oct 12, 2008
Kepler-22b
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=461738

Mostly stuff we've heard before from MacTavish, but a couple of interesting nuggets here and there. Seemed honest about his mistake in being overly optimistic last season, and gave a bit of a subtle poke at Eberle and RNH with his "they've had enough experience and enough time" comment.

Can't really disagree with his assessment though, both RNH and Eberle have proven that they are good/great players, but neither has elevated themselves to that star status. I'm not sure Eberle has it in him to be a 'star', but he hasn't hit his ceiling either. RNH on the other hand has a lot to prove.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I haven't seen the interview but if mac t is calling out rnh for "having enough time" that shows how out to lunch he is. I can't believe any sound hockey mind could rely on a 21 year old featherweight as their #1 center no matter how much "potential" they have.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I haven't seen the interview but if mac t is calling out rnh for "having enough time" that shows how out to lunch he is. I can't believe any sound hockey mind could rely on a 21 year old featherweight as their #1 center no matter how much "potential" they have.

He wasn't calling them out. Watch the interview if you are going to judge his comments.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Another vote of confidence for Eakins. I still have to wonder if Mactavish really believes the things he says or if he believes if it's said often enough that it will just become fact. It's going to be interesting to see how he handles the coaching situation after the season starts and if this team doesn't perform any better than last year. It's easy to talk up Eakins in the summertime when the team isn't playing. It will be much tougher once the season starts and everybody gets to see him behind the bench again. It can be a long season around here when the team is out of contention early, does Mactavish have it in him to keep pumping his tires without any evidence to support it?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I think you probably need to watch the interview first.

To be honest I don't disagree ... if you're a no.1 overall pick you should be ready to take a sizable step forward in your 4th season if you haven't already.

I liked this interview at least it wasn't the typical spin-job that was expected and a fair bit of humility.

I'm no fan of Eakins, but at this point if you've chosen to keep him for the sake of continuity, then you have to back him now. If he gets off to a bad start then of course you look at maybe having Ramsay take over.

I felt honestly this is the best interview anyone from the Oilers front office has given in the last few years. Realistic and candid.

Last edited:

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I think MacTavish is pretty much bang on. Three things....

Draisaitl - I'm not sure they'll do what's right for the kid. If he's best off in junior, will they send him down?
Rocky Thompson - question mark.
Dellow - question mark.

Other than those minor things, I agree with MacT. Draisaitl may not be a minor issue.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Any GM will back their coach in public... until the day they fire them. A GM isn't going to want to help create a divide between the coach and the players by basically sabotaging the coaches leadership by announcing that his time is nearly up if he doesn't get the team going in the right direction asap.

It's obviously hard to get into management's thinking about just how much they will back Eakins... and how long they will stick with him through thick and thin no matter how bad the team is.

If it was me he would have been canned by the midway point last year... and logically you would have to think that if this season starts similarly to last year... he'll be gone by the 20-30 game mark.

There has to be a logical limit to just how long this team can stay in the crapper and the head coaches head is the easiest to send rolling if it doesn't turn around after all the roster shuffling.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=461738

Mostly stuff we've heard before from MacTavish, but a couple of interesting nuggets here and there. Seemed honest about his mistake in being overly optimistic last season, and gave a bit of a subtle poke at Eberle and RNH with his "they've had enough experience and enough time" comment.

That's what I like about MacT. He's always honest and straight forward when he answers questions. He flat out admits that the teams biggest weakness is up the middle and he didn't avoid it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If he was the GM since day one of the rebuild, this team would be in the playoffs by now. Easily.

I do think Eakins is a good coach. Last year was a jumbled mess with atrocious goaltending, players trying to learn yet another new system and everything else. Basically what could go wrong did go wrong at the beginning of the year. Now whether he is the right coach for the job remains to be seen, but I do believe this year will be the biggest jump the team makes since the rebuild. Most of the players know his system, what they he expects out of them and will be much more comfortable. Basically no awkward handshakes for once.

If they have a bad season again though, then he deserves to be gone.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That's what I like about MacT. He's always honest and straight forward when he answers questions. He flat out admits that the teams biggest weakness is up the middle and he didn't avoid it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If he was the GM since day one of the rebuild, this team would be in the playoffs by now. Easily.

I do think Eakins is a good coach. Last year was a jumbled mess with atrocious goaltending, players trying to learn yet another new system and everything else. Basically what could go wrong did go wrong at the beginning of the year. Now whether he is the right coach for the job remains to be seen, but I do believe this year will be the biggest jump the team makes since the rebuild. Most of the players know his system, what they he expects out of them and will be much more comfortable. Basically no awkward handshakes for once.

If they have a bad season again though, then he deserves to be gone.

If the team is still struggling 20-25 games into the season, it's time for Mac T to admit he made a mistake and let go of Eakins.

He'll effectively have had three seperate training camps by that time (last season, the Olympic break last year, and again this year's camp) to instill some type of workable system, if he still can't do it you fire him, let Ramsay take over as interim coach until you find a better candidate to bring in.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Awful hire for the team, a rookie gm with zero qualifiactions who had no clue what he was doing. Who proceeds to hire a head coach who has no clue what he is doing.

Marc08

Mar 17, 2006
Awful hire for the team, a rookie gm with zero qualifiactions who had no clue what he was doing. Who proceeds to hire a head coach who has no clue what he is doing.

Prior 2013-14 NHL season. Joe Sakic, who is a figurehead of Colorado's hockey operations, hired Patrick Roy who has zero NHL coaching experience. :nod: Based on your logic, it doesn't make sense.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Prior 2013-14 NHL season. Joe Sakic, who is a figurehead of Colorado's hockey operations, hired Patrick Roy who has zero NHL coaching experience. :nod: Based on your logic, it doesn't make sense.

If The oilers were 3rd overall in the league last year instead of 3rd last overall that point might shut me up. EVeryone and their dog loved the nonsense mact was spinning when he was hired. The more sensible people saw that he was a total newb with no real clue. People patted mact on the back for his fooliush comments then and will now pat him on the back again after he admitted he was out to lunch.

Marc08

Mar 17, 2006
If The oilers were 3rd overall in the league last year instead of 3rd last overall that point might shut me up. EVeryone and their dog loved the nonsense mact was spinning when he was hired. The more sensible people saw that he was a total newb with no real clue. People patted mact on the back for his fooliush comments then and will now pat him on the back again after he admitted he was out to lunch.

Are you ignoring my previous post?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

The Avs were third overall in the league because their goaltending bailed them out on many, many nights. If the Oilers had that kind of goaltending their season wouldn't have ended before Halloween. :laugh:

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
That was a good honest interview. Not a shocker that the anti MacT crowd look bad with some of the comments in this thread. But then again, these are people who have vendetta with the guy for years.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I expect better of BMac tan to make simple mistakes in a story. Nick Shultz?? Really? A little fact checking Bob would do wonders.

That was whoever wrote the article (all it says is TSN.ca staff). In the actual interview, he just says "Schultz".

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I'm with him on this. If you're ignorant to the topic of discussion (the interview), what's the point of commenting?

lol.

This logic is as faulty as faulty gets. If the post I commented on isn't worth commenting on, then take it up with the person who wrote said comment.

I never did comment on the source material. Just Digger12's comment. If you think that isn't worth jack, talk to him about it not me.

We are all just dealing with hypotheticals on this boards anyways. You find a fact anywhere in this mess and win a prize for being the most gullible.

Its not my job to police what people say on the internet and it certainly shouldn't be yours.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Pretty sure MacT blames last year almost completely on Dubnyk. Eakins seems to get a free pass from him still as if he was just an innocent bystander while Dubs single handedly ruined the whole season. Might be an eyeopening year for him if we still play poorly using Eakins tactics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad