MacKenzie interview w/ MacT

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Pretty sure MacT blames last year almost completely on Dubnyk. Eakins seems to get a free pass from him still as if he was just an innocent bystander while Dubs single handedly ruined the whole season. Might be an eyeopening year for him if we still play poorly using Eakins tactics.

He called last year a "debacle" from start to finish and said he was guilty of being too optimistic. I'm pretty sure he knows there are big problems.

Eakins will get another 20-40 games, but if he can't show tangible improvement by then he's gone IMO.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
one thing that seems clear - mact is not going to have a lot of patience at center. He acknowledges it as the primary question mark for the team.

Leon is going to be given a chance to show he belongs in the #2 spot. If he falters, Mact will move pretty quickly. One of the oiler bloggers said he thought it might be marincin for a center and that makes a lot of sense.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Pretty sure MacT blames last year almost completely on Dubnyk. Eakins seems to get a free pass from him still as if he was just an innocent bystander while Dubs single handedly ruined the whole season. Might be an eyeopening year for him if we still play poorly using Eakins tactics.
It's going to be fascinating to watch, that's for sure. It's going to be even nastier and more anti-management than it was last year if this team can't get out of the basement.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Eakins has all of this next season, as he should.

If it goes like this season did the fans may burn down Rexall instead of just throwing jerseys.

Nothing magically is going to change if he can't coach this group after 120 games IMO.

The players will tune him out by US Thanksgiving if the system simply isn't working.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
If it goes like this season did the fans may burn down Rexall instead of just throwing jerseys.

Nothing magically is going to change if he can't coach this group after 120 games IMO.

The players will tune him out by US Thanksgiving if the system simply isn't working.

Maybe this group isn't good enough.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Maybe this group isn't good enough.

It's easier to change a coach than it is to change the group. Eakins has 20-40 games IMO, if he doesn't show improvement after what is effectively three separate training camps (last year, Olympic break, this year) and a full summer of roster revisions, he needs to go.

You bring in another coach so that for next-next season you don't have to start from ground zero again with a different coach/system, at least in the final 40-60 games the team can learn the ins and outs of their new coach (hopefully someone experienced).

Joseppi

Oct 12, 2008
Kepler-22b
lol.

This logic is as faulty as faulty gets. If the post I commented on isn't worth commenting on, then take it up with the person who wrote said comment.

I never did comment on the source material. Just Digger12's comment. If you think that isn't worth jack, talk to him about it not me.

We are all just dealing with hypotheticals on this boards anyways. You find a fact anywhere in this mess and win a prize for being the most gullible.

Its not my job to police what people say on the internet and it certainly shouldn't be yours.

The OP watched the video, made a comment about a quick quip in its contents, then you took it out of context and extrapolated.

This is the kind of thing that you call people out on in a real world discussion, so why shouldn't the same social rules apply to the internet?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Eakins has all of this next season, as he should.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Ramsay was brought in to help teach Eakins, but he has stepped in multiple times as an interim head coach. If things go south, I wouldn't be surprised if he took over, and we found a new coach next summer

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I wouldn't be so sure of that. Ramsay was brought in to help teach Eakins, but he has stepped in multiple times as an interim head coach. If things go south, I wouldn't be surprised if he took over, and we found a new coach next summer

If Eakins blows the start and gets canned, I would expect Ramsey to finish the season as head coach, and start next season behind the bench.

I hope things don't get to that point though, I really want to see the team perform well out of the gate, and give us all something to cheer for, for the entire season.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Another vote of confidence for Eakins. I still have to wonder if Mactavish really believes the things he says or if he believes if it's said often enough that it will just become fact. It's going to be interesting to see how he handles the coaching situation after the season starts and if this team doesn't perform any better than last year. It's easy to talk up Eakins in the summertime when the team isn't playing. It will be much tougher once the season starts and everybody gets to see him behind the bench again. It can be a long season around here when the team is out of contention early, does Mactavish have it in him to keep pumping his tires without any evidence to support it?

Hopefully, the evidence exposes itself before the season's quarter turn. If they are near .500, he stays; if they are 5-13-2, I think Eakins is gone.

It will be interesting to see what Mact does if they are 7-10-3. That will be the point where it is a tough decision. I think Mact will stick with him. He will have to be clearly a bust like last year to get skidded.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
It's easier to change a coach than it is to change the group. Eakins has 20-40 games IMO, if he doesn't show improvement after what is effectively three separate training camps (last year, Olympic break, this year) and a full summer of roster revisions, he needs to go.

You bring in another coach so that for next-next season you don't have to start from ground zero again with a different coach/system, at least in the final 40-60 games the team can learn the ins and outs of their new coach (hopefully someone experienced).

this is where the Oilers always fail. they only make changes in the off-season, losing the rest of the season, as you say, and the 'dead cat bounce' that players usually get from a coaching change.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=461738

Mostly stuff we've heard before from MacTavish, but a couple of interesting nuggets here and there. Seemed honest about his mistake in being overly optimistic last season, and gave a bit of a subtle poke at Eberle and RNH with his "they've had enough experience and enough time" comment.

Of course it's them and not the coaching or the teams lack of defense that's holding them back. MacT has to have a reason why his team was soundly thrashed 60 times last year., and it can't have anything to do with Eakins/Krueger or any MacT moves/acquisitions.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
That was a good honest interview. Not a shocker that the anti MacT crowd look bad with some of the comments in this thread. But then again, these are people who have vendetta with the guy for years.

Yeah good honest interview as I said the same people on here that lapped up his milk when he was hired and made all these outlandish comments, the same guys that defended him to keeping two crap assistants around, and insisted he was a smart guy and knew what he was doing are now patting his ass for admitting last year was a train wreck management wise and coaching wise. I have a vendetta against crappy coaches, bad gms and team run very badly that thinks it is doing a swell job.

I can't wait to hear mact 1/2 through the year muse that in hindsight he might have done better at getting another center and the fans praising him for realizing this.

Lets get the old bold mact strut animated gif out.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
one thing that seems clear - mact is not going to have a lot of patience at center. He acknowledges it as the primary question mark for the team.

Leon is going to be given a chance to show he belongs in the #2 spot. If he falters, Mact will move pretty quickly. One of the oiler bloggers said he thought it might be marincin for a center and that makes a lot of sense.

Why the ******* is he not moving before the season starts instead of waiting for the team to sewer and then having to use resources mid season to 'fix the problem'.

I had to laugh seeing him say that Draisitl will only play if he is ready, lol as if we have any real alternatives right now.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
If Eakins blows the start and gets canned, I would expect Ramsey to finish the season as head coach, and start next season behind the bench.

I hope things don't get to that point though, I really want to see the team perform well out of the gate, and give us all something to cheer for, for the entire season.

He's said he doesn't really want to be the head coach anymore at his age. My guess is he'd go back to being an assistant and help the new coach transition. I really hope it doesn't come to that as well though

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

I don't know about that.

Surely, Mact noticed that his PP went from being efficient and dangerous to more likely to give up a scoring change then produce one. Surely, he questions if the 1-3-1 was, perhaps, asking a bit too much of these pimplefaced, peach-fuzz 'stached punks.
Surely, he noticed that this 'swarm' left opposition snipers alone too often.
Surely, he noticed that his coach didn't relate so well with his 1st overall Russian.

Only a fool couldn't notice that Eakins was very much a rookie head coach, who made several glaring rookie mistakes.

Eirhead*

Can't really disagree with his assessment though, both RNH and Eberle have proven that they are good/great players, but neither has elevated themselves to that star status. I'm not sure Eberle has it in him to be a 'star', but he hasn't hit his ceiling either. RNH on the other hand has a lot to prove.

I dunno...

Forwards often have career years in their early 20s then go down hill from there. I could see Eberle becoming a more well-rounded player, but at the same time I think it's quite possible that 2011-12 could be the most productive season of his career.

The nice thing is that his contract is fairly reflective of his ability. I'm also very curious to see he can do with his game in the playoffs.

RNH on the other hand was given too much contract too early. Horcoff had a fairly good season, but suffered an injury, and while still having a year left on his current contract, was given a massive extension for big dollars. Terrible contract. RNH was given a similar extension under the exact same pretences... it's like this organization doesn't learn.

I do think RNH can meet and exceed his current contract, but I maintain that his contract negotiation was handled with little to no foresight.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think the RNH contract was essentially a rubber stamping of the Hall/Eberle deals.

Future #1C... check

#1 overall pick... check

$6 million dollar deal like the 2 other good ole Canadian boys on his line... check.

Sign on the x.

Probably almost zero negotiation on that deal.

I wasn't against the contract then (not my money) and still am not because RNH will probably live up to it in years to come... especially with the rising cap each year but yes it was too much too soon if it was going to be actually based on merit instead of mainly potential.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Of course it's them and not the coaching or the teams lack of defense that's holding them back. MacT has to have a reason why his team was soundly thrashed 60 times last year., and it can't have anything to do with Eakins/Krueger or any MacT moves/acquisitions.

Not sure how you extrapolated that from watching the video.

MacT clearly didn't throw Nuge and Ebs under the bus. He wants them to take the next step is all.

Maybe you would understand it better if you took off your "I hate Oilers Management and Coaches glasses".

Nice try on twisting the truth there Oi'll say.

Maybe try harder next time.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
this is where the Oilers always fail. they only make changes in the off-season, losing the rest of the season, as you say, and the 'dead cat bounce' that players usually get from a coaching change.

The Oilers have been one of the busiest teams during the regular season. What are you talking about?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Why the ******* is he not moving before the season starts instead of waiting for the team to sewer and then having to use resources mid season to 'fix the problem'.

I had to laugh seeing him say that Draisitl will only play if he is ready, lol as if we have any real alternatives right now.
the obvious answer is that other teams aren't going to know who is expendable until the season is underway. He did say he wanted to see what would shake loose during camp a while back.

Its a bit like those who asked why we didn't get Bryz day one. Bryz probably didn't want to sign with us and only settled for us after it was clear that he wasnt going to be signed by a good team.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
the obvious answer is that other teams aren't going to know who is expendable until the season is underway. He did say he wanted to see what would shake loose during camp a while back.

Its a bit like those who asked why we didn't get Bryz day one. Bryz probably didn't want to sign with us and only settled for us after it was clear that he wasnt going to be signed by a good team.

Yeah the old 'building by seeing what shakes loose theory' a time honored winning strategy.

Yeah the Bryz thing is a perfect example, he waited with an obvious weakness (after all he threw Dubnyk under the bus before the season) and acted once the season was lost after 25 games or whatever it was.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
I would guess that the decision on Leon will be made during camp. If he is ready, it will be obvious. If it is not obvious, he will be sent down. That is what I get from the mact interviews.

Before the end of camp, some teams are going to have to make some hard choices. The cap is still a problem for a few teams and that is where I see the opportunity. IMO, we can have Kelly for free any time we want. He might not be the perfect 2nd line center but it would be better than an unready Leon.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I find Bryz too weird. Wouldn't shake my hands at the Oilers Meet & Greet last season. Probably germaphobic, but still at least carry hand sanitizer for this kind of event.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad