Value of: Mackenzie Blackwood

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Because he’s playing for the New Jersey Devils and you shouldn’t put a lot of weight on a goalie who’s playing behind an awful team?

You guys had Anderson who apparently wasn’t the answer to your problems but has been a revelation for the Canes. A change of scenery is all that’s needed sometimes.

if you watched freddy last night you saw why some turned on him, last night he allowed at least 1, arguably 2 soft goals.

that was not a rare occurance in Toronto.

Reactions: Doubledose

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I never said he’s a good starting goalie, or even average. Simply that he is a starter.

Well he (Smith) isn't. Koskinen is. Now I never said he's a good starting goalie, or even average. Koskinen is 100% is our starter and has been all season.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
As a Devials fan I don’t want to give up Blackwood. He was fighting a weird injury all this year so I wouldn’t look to hard at his numbers this year as an indication of how good he is. Last year he was decent. Year before he was showing he could be a very good #1 if he continues on his path. As in a mid range #1 , 15-20 goalke overall but with potential for more.

Reactions: TBF1972

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Because he’s playing for the New Jersey Devils and you shouldn’t put a lot of weight on a goalie who’s playing behind an awful team?

You guys had Anderson who apparently wasn’t the answer to your problems but has been a revelation for the Canes. A change of scenery is all that’s needed sometimes.
That's more on Carolinas defence.
Andersen and Raanta better this year, Nedel and Mrazek worse.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Blackwood plus whatever it takes minus Hughes brothers for Hellebuyck. Ok thanks bye,
On a serious note , what about Blackwood and ?? for Pool party and cap dump ? Or we can get crazy and do Blackwood amd Severson (50% retained so 2 mil cap hit) plus?? for PoolParty , McLeod , Skinner (plus cap dump if needed)
devils' biggest needs are g and rhd. just out of frustration and perception this proposal will dig a bigger hole in the line up.

i am not against trading those two, if there were alternatives available. but there aren't. so let's punt at first and 10.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Goaltending

A starting goaltender.

You guys are better off keeping him of that's the need. He has a solid foundation and will turn it around in time. The offers won't make sense I doubt.

From Ottawa for example, you can take on the Murray fiasco if you like. He's clearly a starter but he's so often injured that he can't be relied on. That's massive gamble and the contract is gross.

A swap for Gustavsson is another possibility but he has not shown those flashes of being a starter yet, so again, it's a gamble.

Two examples of why you're better off staying with what you have and waiting it out.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I'm very big on context. You got to adjust statistical expectations based on the surrounding cast. Maybe Blackwood bombs here but based on his past, I'd love to try a goalie like him

And imo my team should be trying out goalies instead of just sticking to the same two guys forever
What about the context that, outside of his first 2 years in the NHL (one in which he only played 23 games), his numbers have mostly been bad?

1647690779998.png

His numbers in the AHL are bad and his numbers in the OHL aren't much better. Since his rookie year in the NHL, his numbers have gotten progressively worse. He doesn't have the body of work to suggest that the past 2 years are the anomaly.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I never wanted to trade Blackwood because I know when healthy his true skill is that of a .915 goaltender with upside. Unfortunately, the team likely pressured him to play injured this year and as a result, his stats faltered and he lost a trust in the organization. I'm not sure what they are looking for, maybe a 1st and prospect. It's a shame, when he is on he is one of the leagues best.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I'm surprised to see such generous offers from Edmonton fans. Goalies aren't worth as much and seldom are moved for a 1st except a desperate Sakic. I don't think blackwood is good enough to pay a 1st for. Look at what nejdkelvleocbc went for. With his season, how atrocious his game is right now, injury or not, seems like a fools errand to bet big on a goalie that hasn't proven anything with a first round pick.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
nejdkelvleocbc
Somehow my brain still understood this.

I agree that high or mid 1sts can be a bit much for goalies that aren't proven, but late 1sts don't seem like a stretch to me at all. Blackwood might need a new situation to get going, but really he probably just needs time.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
What about the context that, outside of his first 2 years in the NHL (one in which he only played 23 games), his numbers have mostly been bad?

View attachment 518100

His numbers in the AHL are bad and his numbers in the OHL aren't much better. Since his rookie year in the NHL, his numbers have gotten progressively worse. He doesn't have the body of work to suggest that the past 2 years are the anomaly.
these numbers mean very little and we still dont know what he can become.
his weird Heel injury thats been bothering him has been around since last season.
That and NJ overall were pretty poor
feels like you were dying to jump on and post how bad his numbers are.
Maybe you should just get back to worrying about the Rangers

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
NJ likely only gets a 2nd or 3rd for him now and are much better off keeping him and hope he rebounds. Go after a 2nd goalie in the offseason who is more reliable and let them battle it out.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
NJ likely only gets a 2nd or 3rd for him now and are much better off keeping him and hope he rebounds. Go after a 2nd goalie in the offseason who is more reliable and let them battle it out.
Would never move a goalie like him for that unless there was a clear option thats better
Daws has been great but still a little young
Blackwood is their best option imo and NJ isnt in a position imo to move out big assets for that for sure big goalie upgrade
might as well continue to develop Blackwood

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I do not think they will trade him now unless they get a good return. I think a lot of this has to do with Blackwoods agent knowing the Devils will not give him a long term deal. His agent would like to avoid Blackwood coming in and playing well nfor the Devils next year and than having the Devils take him to arbitration and him not having a chance for a long term deal in the next couple of years.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I do not think they will trade him now unless they get a good return. I think a lot of this has to do with Blackwoods agent knowing the Devils will not give him a long term deal. His agent would like to avoid Blackwood coming in and playing well nfor the Devils next year and than having the Devils take him to arbitration and him not having a chance for a long term deal in the next couple of years.
I dont think his agent is worried about that
NJ finally getting better. next season if Blackwood has a solid season I dont see why he cant play himself into a 5x5 type deal

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I dont think his agent is worried about that
NJ finally getting better. next season if Blackwood has a solid season I dont see why he cant play himself into a 5x5 type deal
The Devils do not trust him enough to give him a long term deal IMO. I do think his agent is worried about him getting a long term deal,. That is what agents do

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Would never move a goalie like him for that unless there was a clear option thats better
Daws has been great but still a little young
Blackwood is their best option imo and NJ isnt in a position imo to move out big assets for that for sure big goalie upgrade
might as well continue to develop Blackwood
Agreed.
Getting a good return isn't in the cards based on his declining stats for 3 straight years.

In fairness, neither should want a long term deal. NJ would get him cheap du e to his play and for Blackwood, if he believes he can be much better, bet on yourself and don't worry about a long deal now. Play better and a better deal will come.

But we all agree, NJ should keep him.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I'd like to see the Sabres go after Blackwood. We have some nice goalie prospects on Levi, UPL and Portillo but they could be a few seasons away. I'd move one of the three 1st round picks and a prospect.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
The Devils do not trust him enough to give him a long term deal IMO. I do think his agent is worried about him getting a long term deal,. That is what agents do
I forgot hes still RFA
maybe he gets another short term deal that takes him to UFA but if he has a solid season I dont see 5x5 being impossible for a goalie even if they trade him
Blackwood's agent prob use Cal Petersson's contract as a comparable
and yeah I assume they dont trust him after the whole vaxx nonsense?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad