Value of: Mackenzie Blackwood

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Interesting speculation that Devils and Blackwood are on bad terms.

The relationship was strained from the start of the season due to Blackwood initially not getting vaxxed and missing all of camp.
He’s also had some injury issues that he foolishly tried to play through this season before the Devils shut him down.

If he is on the market, what offers could the Devils get.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
As an Oiler fan I'd love to get him. I see his stats arent the best but I get that there are factors there.

Idk a 1st plus a decent prospect like Savoie? Maybe Kassian for salary reasons.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Paying a 1st + for Blackwood would be a very Edmonton thing to do.
Hes a starting goalie, no?

A depth player just got traded for a couple 1sts. 1sts in the back half of the round are nice but not that amazing

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Blackwood is definitely worth at least a first and the devils would be foolish to trade him for anything less. Think of what you would trade for carter hart and take a little bit less off because of his injury

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Hes a starting goalie, no?

A depth player just got traded for a couple 1sts. 1sts in the back half of the round are nice but not that amazing
Mike Smith is also a starting goalie.

Blackwood hasn't been good for 2 years. It just reeks of a move to try and save the season because they don't have enough assets/time to build up a proper offer for a better piece.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Blackwood hasn't been good for 2 years. It just reeks of a move to try and save the season because they don't have enough assets/time to build up a proper offer for a better piece.
I'm very big on context. You got to adjust statistical expectations based on the surrounding cast. Maybe Blackwood bombs here but based on his past, I'd love to try a goalie like him

And imo my team should be trying out goalies instead of just sticking to the same two guys forever

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Lol as an Oiler fan that's fine by me. Hes a promising prospect. Ideally next season would be Starter-Skinner if we could swing it, although Koskinen has been good for a while now
My bad pal. I skimmed and didn't actually read.

I auto see the words Skinner and am conditioned to think GTFO. I didn't think you meant the Oilers or a prospect

My bad, that's on me.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
My bad pal. I skimmed and didn't actually read.

I auto see the words Skinner and am conditioned to think GTFO. I didn't think you meant the Oilers or a prospect

My bad, that's on me.
That's fine. It's not like Stuart Skinner is very known on the mains. He has good stats overall but has been very hot and cold. I know some Oiler fans say hes been given easier opponents but I haven't checked that. Either way hes very young for a goalie but very promising

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I'm very big on context. You got to adjust statistical expectations based on the surrounding cast. Maybe Blackwood bombs here but based on his past, I'd love to try a goalie like him

And imo my team should be trying out goalies instead of just sticking to the same two guys forever
He’s been bad even given context.

If you get him for cheap as a reclamation project then great I agree - but to divest a 1st rounder + that could be used as part of a bigger deal and real solution is crazy.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

Mike Smith isn’t even a reliable backup at this point. Nice try though

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Blackwood plus whatever it takes minus Hughes brothers for Hellebuyck. Ok thanks bye,
On a serious note , what about Blackwood and ?? for Pool party and cap dump ? Or we can get crazy and do Blackwood amd Severson (50% retained so 2 mil cap hit) plus?? for PoolParty , McLeod , Skinner (plus cap dump if needed)

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I would be very interested in Blackwood if I were Dubas as good as these last 2 games have been there is no chance that he is comfortable with his goaltending, he cant be no matter what anybody says

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Blackwood plus whatever it takes minus Hughes brothers for Hellebuyck. Ok thanks bye,
On a serious note , what about Blackwood and ?? for Pool party and cap dump ? Or we can get crazy and do Blackwood amd Severson (50% retained so 2 mil cap hit) plus?? for PoolParty , McLeod , Skinner (plus cap dump if needed)

You're always trying to sneak Puljujarvi in your proposals! That is a no go for Edmonton. Ditto McLeod. The Oilers can move a decent pick, like a 2nd and a decent prospect plus a little bit of salary to make this trade work. The guys on their roster like McLeod and Puljujarvi they need to move forward as a playoff team.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
I would be very interested in Blackwood if I were Dubas as good as these last 2 games have been there is no chance that he is comfortable with his goaltending, he cant be no matter what anybody says
Why would the Leafs want to have a goalie that's been bad for two years...

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
You're always trying to sneak Puljujarvi in your proposals! That is a no go for Edmonton. Ditto McLeod. The Oilers can move a decent pick, like a 2nd and a decent prospect plus a little bit of salary to make this trade work. The guys on their roster like McLeod and Puljujarvi they need to move forward as a playoff team.
Crap. What about a RHD ? Have any you can offer . Not current roster ones , prospects?

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Why would the Leafs want to have a goalie that's been bad for two years...
Because he’s playing for the New Jersey Devils and you shouldn’t put a lot of weight on a goalie who’s playing behind an awful team?

You guys had Anderson who apparently wasn’t the answer to your problems but has been a revelation for the Canes. A change of scenery is all that’s needed sometimes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad