Seravalli: Mackenzie Blackwood to Leafs?

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
He never mislead anyone. He was nervous to get a brand new shot that had literally just come out that still hasn’t had all the information released on it. He was then pressured by the league, media and fans to do something he wasn’t comfortable with all the while he had already Covid. Just because someone doesn’t agree with you in every aspect of life doesn’t make them a “jerkoff”. However, pressuring people into doing things to their body they aren’t comfortable with…
Well it's clear we have differing opinions on the vaccine but that's not an argument I'm remotely interested in having with a brick wall for the hundredth time.

What is an indisputable fact is that he knew he would not be allowed to play in Canada without it, and that would have been putting his team at a disadvantage. It is also quite clear that the Devils were lead to believe he was getting it and were quite surprised to learn he hadn't when he showed up for training camp. Clearly that was the start of the whole mess and bad feelings on both sides.

Which is a shame, because if he can ever sustain what he's capable of for a whole season, he is absolutely a goalie you can win with. There's a litany of excuses you can make for him, but whether it's with NJ or elsewhere, next season is put up or shut up time for him.

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Well it's clear we have differing opinions on the vaccine but that's not an argument I'm remotely interested in having with a brick wall for the hundredth time.

What is an indisputable fact is that he knew he would not be allowed to play in Canada without it, and that would have been putting his team at a disadvantage. It is also quite clear that the Devils were lead to believe he was getting it and were quite surprised to learn he hadn't when he showed up for training camp. Clearly that was the start of the whole mess and bad feelings on both sides.

Which is a shame, because if he can ever sustain what he's capable of for a whole season, he is absolutely a goalie you can win with. There's a litany of excuses you can make for him, but whether it's with NJ or elsewhere, next season is put up or shut up time for him.
A agree with your last paragraph. However I don’t think it was fair any of the players in the NHL were pressured/forced into getting it to keep their jobs. Wasn’t part of their contract to start nor the players association so to force it on anyone really isn’t correct at all

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
Is there any reason Bernier can't come back? He got surgery so he should be healthy by the start of next year in theory
Hip surgery, and us Devils fans saw the ill effect that had on Schneider. We have no faith he can play at all, let alone at a top level.

Also, I recall GMTF's words on Bernier sounded like they don't expect Bernier to play. Can't recall the exact words though, so that needs a fact check.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
He never mislead anyone. He was nervous to get a brand new shot that had literally just come out that still hasn’t had all the information released on it. He was then pressured by the league, media and fans to do something he wasn’t comfortable with all the while he had already Covid. Just because someone doesn’t agree with you in every aspect of life doesn’t make them a “jerkoff”. However, pressuring people into doing things to their body they aren’t comfortable with…

man enough with this...literally almost every other athlete in sports got it AND his mom is a higher up in the healthcare world which makes it even worse.

Please stop.

A agree with your last paragraph. However I don’t think it was fair any of the players in the NHL were pressured/forced into getting it to keep their jobs. Wasn’t part of their contract to start nor the players association so to force it on anyone really isn’t correct at all

there wasn't a once in a lifetime worldwide pandemic clause in the contracts?! You don't say!

Ledge And Dairy

Hip surgery, and us Devils fans saw the ill effect that had on Schneider. We have no faith he can play at all, let alone at a top level.

Also, I recall GMTF's words on Bernier sounded like they don't expect Bernier to play. Can't recall the exact words though, so that needs a fact check.
Fair enough, being 33 and all you may be right. Unfortunate for him if that is the case though

Reactions: MakoSlade

TF1970

May 9, 2021
as an NJ fan, i think blackwood w/ a fresh start could still turn out to be legit.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I'd personally rather keep Blackwood and try to sign Campbell as a free agent
I'm hoping this is a surreptitious way for the Devils to negotiate with Campbell before he goes UFA so they can sign him then myself.

Edit: Assuming there's anything to this rumor.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Is there any reason Bernier can't come back? He got surgery so he should be healthy by the start of next year in theory
Yeah apparently Devils management isn’t confident he’s going to be able to play again. Still no timeline for his return. Can’t afford to wait it out but he did look really good before his injury.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
....Puts you on the supreme court.

I also don't see why NJ would help Toronto out of their cap and goaltending issue. Campbell's rights are worth a 6th or 7th and Blackwood has more value than that.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

I also don't see why NJ would help Toronto out of their cap and goaltending issue. Campbell's rights are worth a 6th or 7th and Blackwood has more value than that.
I mean I would assume it would be more then just a straight Campbell for Blackwood swap with something else going the Devils way. A B/C level prospect would make the most sense.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

Valuing "rights" is a little more complicated than that... are you trading for them without negotiation from the player? or you essentially doing a trade & sign.

If New Jersey believes that Campbell is the guy they want in net next year, and Campbell doesn't really want to deal with the uncertainty of unrestricted free agency, it is quite possible that he's amicable to a trade & sign situation with a variety of teams.

If NJ doesn't do it, somebody else might.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Yeah apparently Devils management isn’t confident he’s going to be able to play again. Still no timeline for his return. Can’t afford to wait it out but he did look really good before his injury.
if bossy or lafleur (rip) played for new jersey, the devils management would still list them as day-to-day

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Valuing "rights" is a little more complicated than that... are you trading for them without negotiation from the player? or you essentially doing a trade & sign.

If New Jersey believes that Campbell is the guy they want in net next year, and Campbell doesn't really want to deal with the uncertainty of unrestricted free agency, it is quite possible that he's amicable to a trade & sign situation with a variety of teams.

If NJ doesn't do it, somebody else might.
it's also good for a team like New Jersey if they want to make a big splash in free agency. Free agents want money, sure, but also want to join good teams. If the Devils are starting free agency with their goaltending secured, it could be the difference in adding a free agent forward or D.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: