Seravalli: Mackenzie Blackwood to Leafs?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Seravalli was on the fan 960 and he brought up Mackenzie Blackwood as possibly going to the Leafs in a sign and trade with Jack Campbell going to NJ.

this is something I have wondered about myself, it has been heavily reported that the Devils have lost faith in Blackwood and that both sides are open to moving on.

I wouldn't be surprised if this happened and I'm open to it. Blackwood is coming off a rough year but his first couple years were very solid.

Blackwood would e going to a much better team with a top medical staff and there he would have a good chance to bounce back.

Reactions: teddygmr

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Why does NJ trade Blackwood for a guy who will be a UFA in a matter of days? If they trade for Campbell they aren’t getting a discount on any contract. NJ doesn’t have to move Blackwood and even with Campbell they have no second goalie. I don’t see NJ just giving Blackwood away since they don’t have to.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Seravalli was on the fan 960 and he brought up Mackenzie Blackwood as possibly going to the Leafs in a sign and trade with Jack Campbell going to NJ.

this is something I have wondered about myself, it has been heavily reported that the Devils have lost faith in Blackwood and that both sides are open to moving on.

I wouldn't be surprised if this happened and I'm open to it. Blackwood is coming off a rough year but his first couple years were very solid.

Blackwood would e going to a much better team with a top medical staff and there he would have a good chance to bounce back.

the Leafs and Devils gave up nearly the same exact number of shots overall, and the Leafs gave up more high danger chances than the Leafs did at 5 on 5, FYI....

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
the Leafs and Devils gave up nearly the same exact number of shots overall, and the Leafs gave up more high danger chances than the Leafs did at 5 on 5, FYI....

That doesn't mean that the Leafs are not a much better team

Why does NJ trade Blackwood for a guy who will be a UFA in a matter of days? If they trade for Campbell they aren’t getting a discount on any contract. NJ doesn’t have to move Blackwood and even with Campbell they have no second goalie. I don’t see NJ just giving Blackwood away since they don’t have to.

If they did that you have to think they'd have a deal done with Campbell

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

I doubt he has a lot of value at this point. I think Campbell + a 3rd/Holl gets it done. Maybe a 5th to Toronto for negotiating rights beforehand.

The incentive from NJ's perspective is to move on from Blackwood & get permission to negotiate with Campbell before he goes to free agency.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I mean of course they are, because they score a ton of goals and have an elite PP

defensively, the teams were similar. That is proven by the statistics.

That still doesn't mean he wouldn't do better on a better team.

Maybe he stays healthy in Toronto and isn't destroyed by injury/Covid

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I doubt he has a lot of value at this point. I think Campbell + a 3rd/Holl gets it done.

The incentive from NJ's perspective is to move on from Blackwood & get permission to negotiate with Campbell before he goes to free agency.
Meh. That seems counterproductive. I would think you just wait for Campbell to hit UFA. If Campbell was agreeable to a cheap deal then maybe but why does he do that? You figure he waits until he sees what his best offer is. Even if NJ wants Campbell they can get his rights at this point for less than Blackwood. Who knows if Campbell is even interested in NJ? Maybe he wants to land somewhere else.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Meh. That seems counterproductive. I would think you just wait for Campbell to hit UFA. If Campbell was agreeable to a cheap deal then maybe but why does he do that? You figure he waits until he sees what his best offer is. Even if NJ wants Campbell they can get his rights at this point for less than Blackwood. Who knows if Campbell is even interested in NJ? Maybe he wants to land somewhere else.

Offer him 5m x 3, which is a lot more than what the Leafs are offering, and if he doesn't take it, trade his rights to another team. I think that happened with some other players the past few years.

I don't think he's in a position to be expecting a lot of term on the market so he would likely jump at 15M.

'''''''''''''''somehow''''''''''''''' agents usually know what offers are out there before their players go to market, like Hyman.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Offer him 5m x 3, which is a lot more than what the Leafs are offering, and if he doesn't take it, trade his rights to another team. I think that happened with some other players the past few years.

I don't think he's in a position to be expecting a lot of term on the market so he would likely jump at 15M.

I think he can get 4 years, I wouldn't do it but I think somebody will

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Maybe Campbell doesnt sign in NJ if it’s a 1A/B situation with Blackwood and only agrees to a deal in a sign and trade where he goes the other way? Idk but I’m fairly confident it won’t be Blackwood for just his rights and the ability to negotiate with him early, the deal would have to be worked out first.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Maybe Campbell doesnt sign in NJ if it’s a 1A/B situation with Blackwood and only agrees to a deal in a sign and trade where he goes the other way? Idk but I’m fairly confident it won’t be Blackwood for just his rights and the ability to negotiate with him early, the deal would have to be worked out first.

of course, if this happens then you have to think NJ knows they have a deal with Campbell

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
We'll send you Blackwood for Campbell and Lyubushkin on pre negotiated deals.

NJD has a hole at 3rd pairing RD...

Blackwood and a pick (one of your 4ths, Edmonton?) for Campbell's rights and Holl?

Would like a 3rd rounder to come from NJD but figured I would save the counter negotiation.

Reactions: teddygmr

minibrodeur

May 17, 2022
NJD has a hole at 3rd pairing RD...

Blackwood and a pick (one of your 4ths, Edmonton?) for Campbell's rights and Holl?

Would like a 3rd rounder to come from NJD but figured I would save the counter negotiation.
Easy no, we aren't paying picks + for FAs and cap dumps. It will cost the Leafs to get rid of Holl and Mrazek, no one is giving picks for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad