Seravalli: Mackenzie Blackwood to Leafs?

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Valuing "rights" is a little more complicated than that... are you trading for them without negotiation from the player? or you essentially doing a trade & sign.

If New Jersey believes that Campbell is the guy they want in net next year, and Campbell doesn't really want to deal with the uncertainty of unrestricted free agency, it is quite possible that he's amicable to a trade & sign situation with a variety of teams.

If NJ doesn't do it, somebody else might.
The top half wouldn't matter. It would be up to Toronto if they want to let NJ negotiate. Toronto has zero leverage here, Campbell is walking regardless.

NJ could just talk to Campbell during the legal tampering period and ask if he has interest. If so, then work out a deal and cut out Toronto.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
The top half wouldn't matter. It would be up to Toronto if they want to let NJ negotiate. Toronto has zero leverage here, Campbell is walking regardless.

NJ could just talk to Campbell during the legal tampering period and ask if he has interest. If so, then work out a deal and cut out Toronto.
Campbell still wants to play in Toronto and Toronto could easily circle back and give him his 4.5 to 5 million.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
it's also good for a team like New Jersey if they want to make a big splash in free agency. Free agents want money, sure, but also want to join good teams. If the Devils are starting free agency with their goaltending secured, it could be the difference in adding a free agent forward or D.
I do not think they are. Devils GM is constantly talking about keeping bad contracts off his books when the Devils are contending. Fitz is going to have to take a chance on a goalie and IMO that will be it as far as "first day" UFA types go. I am thinking a "second day" type for NJ at this point.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I would imagine if Toronto wanted him at that price they would have at least chatted about a contract, since there is silence, I doubt they want to give him that.
A lot can change as free agency gets closer. I'm considering it a possibility, you were speaking in absolutes.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
A lot can change as free agency gets closer. I'm considering it a possibility, you were speaking in absolutes.
If there was a possibility, wouldn't they have kept dialogue open? I think the fact that they haven't talked since the first round exit pretty much solidifies his exit.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
If there was a possibility, wouldn't they have kept dialogue open? I think the fact that they haven't talked since the first round exit pretty much solidifies his exit.

I do think its more likely he's gone but things can change quickly. I think the Leafs want to move on but there's always the possibility they can't acquire any of their other targets, in which case circling back to Campbell could make sense.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I would imagine if Toronto wanted him at that price they would have at least chatted about a contract, since there is silence, I doubt they want to give him that.
Since there is no chance of an 8 year deal, I think it's in the players best interest to go to UFA and see what offers he gets, as this will be his most lucrative contract in his career. And then allow Toronto to match

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Playing behind Fleury would be a good situation for Blackwood. I don't think having him as a 1A going into the year is a good idea. 30 games on a good team would let him build his confidence back up.

Reactions: Magic Man

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
man enough with this...literally almost every other athlete in sports got it AND his mom is a higher up in the healthcare world which makes it even worse.

Please stop.

there wasn't a once in a lifetime worldwide pandemic clause in the contracts?! You don't say!
If your first sentence indicates how you personally make decisions in life then there’s no point in trying to have a rational conversation with you at all on the fact that different people have different thoughts and opinions on things. Hope you have a good day.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
He is definitely a cap dump.
I thought a cap dump was a contract being dumped for cap space while having negative value and costing an asset to shed. Or even a neutral value asset that hovers around free, but you take back some dead contracts or something.

Justin Holl could be moved for cap space, in that sense they'd be dumping his cap. But, he will no doubt bring back positive value in trade though. So, I'm not sure if you worded that correctly.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Why do the Leafs refuse go get a real proven #1?
seriously?
Potvin
Joseph
Belfour
meh goalies that didnt reach potential Reimer/Bernier that are still NHL regulars
Anderson
Campbell ...we're here

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I thought a cap dump was a contract being dumped for cap space while having negative value and costing an asset to shed. Or even a neutral value asset that hovers around free, but you take back some dead contracts or something.

Justin Holl could be moved for cap space, in that sense they'd be dumping his cap. But, he will no doubt bring back positive value in trade though. So, I'm not sure if you worded that correctly.
a cap dump is a player that is not worth their contract and therefore holds negative value.
Holl at $2mill is a steal for what he brings on the PK and minute munching, and the Leafs love him, but the fans (myself near the top of the list) hate him and want him moved to let Lily get a regular spot, not spot duty

unloading a decent player to free caps space is not a cap dump ...Kerfoot is another example, really good player, but, expendable to allow younger/cheaper players to fill his spot

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
They can't afford it.
there isnt a proven #1 available (that hasnt played bad the past 3 seasons) anyways.
any available, like Bobrosky for example at $10mil is a joke of a contract that no team will take on without near max retention

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
Blackwood is made of glass. Sure when healthy he has the potential to be a solid netminder but he doesn't stay healthy. I would be trilled if we got a starter in return or even a late 1st.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
This makes absolutely no sense for NJ lol. Why is Campbell doing the Leafs a solid? He can just hit FA and sign with NJ if they actually want him. Then they trade Blackwood to the highest bidder.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Yeah this makes zero sense to me.

I get that the Devils want to move on from Blackwood (on a personal level, I'll be happy to see him gone for non-hockey reasons) but this.. can't be the best Fitz can do.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Blackwood is made of glass. Sure when healthy he has the potential to be a solid netminder but he doesn't stay healthy. I would be trilled if we got a starter in return or even a late 1st.

Thing is if this happens then you aren't getting a starter in return because Jack Campbell is not a starter

Yeah this makes zero sense to me.

I get that the Devils want to move on from Blackwood (on a personal level, I'll be happy to see him gone for non-hockey reasons) but this.. can't be the best Fitz can do.

you actually know him?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Legal tampering period went out with the new Covid CBA.

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
Seravalli was on the fan 960 and he brought up Mackenzie Blackwood as possibly going to the Leafs in a sign and trade with Jack Campbell going to NJ.

this is something I have wondered about myself, it has been heavily reported that the Devils have lost faith in Blackwood and that both sides are open to moving on.

I wouldn't be surprised if this happened and I'm open to it. Blackwood is coming off a rough year but his first couple years were very solid.

Blackwood would e going to a much better team with a top medical staff and there he would have a good chance to bounce back.
This makes perfect sense, however what is actually going to happen is Mrazek will be given another chance to start with Michael Hutchinson to back him up. You all got chills when you read that because you know it's likely true.

Reactions: Gilles Meloche

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1