Trade: Mack to Bears for 2 first rounders

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Hmmm, still aren't a playoff team unless Trubisky improves immensely but a good move for Da Bears. That front 7 is very good.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Mack is going to get paid regardless so I could see him hesitating to sign an extension with the Bears and waiting until free agency.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Mack is going to get paid regardless so I could see him hesitating to sign an extension with the Bears and waiting until free agency.
This isn't the NHL, there is no trade without a deal, and he risks injury if he waits.

Reactions: Tuggy

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
This isn't the NHL.

No, but it's a hockey board , hence why I used the analogy of a club with unrealistic expectations.

The Bears aren't going to win their division in the next two years. I'm not convinced they're even a playoff team.

Cheers.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Meh

If they stay healthy and Trubisky can play above average they are probably a 9-7 team and in WC hunt

If Trubisky sucks or Howard gets hurt team offensively will be mess and D isn't going to carry them like 2005 Bears D carried Orton led offense or how 2005 Bears D carried Grossman

D is not as good as it was then though we haven't had a true impact player since Peanut so bringing in Mack is exciting

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There better is an impact roster player coming back along with those picks. Why not just trade him before the draft if they were that far apart on a contract?

Sigh.
I agree. Not like they got R. Smith as part of the deal. Getting 1 guy who can help now.

Better than sending him to GB where the picks would come later in the draft. Chicago should be better than last season but don’t see them as a playoff team in the NFC with the quality of the South and North likely to get 2 playoff teams each.

Up to the raiders to hit on those picks.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
No, but it's a hockey board , hence why I used the analogy of a club with unrealistic expectations.

The Bears aren't going to win their division in the next two years. I'm not convinced they're even a playoff team.

Cheers.

How do you know? The NFL is the toughest league to predict.

Reactions: Amerika

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I agree. Not like they got R. Smith as part of the deal. Getting 1 guy who can help now.

Better than sending him to GB where the picks would come later in the draft. Chicago should be better than last season but don’t see them as a playoff team in the NFC with the quality of the South and North likely to get 2 playoff teams each.

Up to the raiders to hit on those picks.

Look at Gruden's drafting record. He's awful.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Plus injuries can change the fortunes of any team, like GB last season and what happeneded to Seattle’s defense.

But based on healthy rosters, I don’t see Chicago being better than GB or Minny. And u likely they are better than the #2 team in the south.

Disappointing to see the raiders not get Smith to soften the blow.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
you absolutely give up two 1st rounders for a guy like mack if you're chicago

raiders clearly didn't want to give mack a massive contract. not too surprised but i would've thought they'd want to lock him up for the move to vegas. he's a guy people come to watch

Reactions: Tuggy and Voight

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I feel it must be pointed out Mack is only 27 (Doesn't turn 28 until next offseason)

Bears will be locking up longterm a NFL DPOY thru his prime years while hopefully watching him and young LB group (Smith , Floyd and Kwiatowski) hopefully prove to be foundations of a D returning to prominence

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Raiders players are not taking too kindly to the trade on twitter
No surprise right? Best player on Defense is dealt for no help this season. The players would be less upset if the deal returned Smith and 1st in say 2020, than 2 first rounders and say a 2nd.

Could the raiders have gotten smith had they been able to deal Mack during Smiths contract negotiations with Chicago?

NFL is really hard to predict final records of teams. Could Chicago pick in the top 10? Possible if SF, Indy, Hou, Den all improve and all 4 of these teams are getting an improvement at QB for the entire season. Teams may fall from last season and who knows how good the bears will be. Lot depends on the development of Trubisky.

Reactions: robertmac43

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018

Because elite QB's are everything and are the best predictor for success.

The Packers have Rodgers (and an improved roster, imo) , the Bears do not.

The Vikings have Cousins (not an elite QB , but better than Trubisky, imo) and a vastly superior roster.

The Lions aren't pushovers either and have Stafford. Who is guess what? Better than Mitchell T.

The Bears are nowheres near good enough to sacrifice two 1st's. This deal has huge backfire potential, imo. By the time they're good enough Mack will likely be ending his prime --- and if that's the case , what's the damn point?

Take the two top 15 picks, Oakland.

Reactions: Voight

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Who won SB last year at QB? Did a not broken down Manning win recently?

A strong roster with capable enough QB can do just as much damage in NFL today

27 yr old DPOY LB > 2 1st round picks

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Yeah, this is really Pejorative Slured for Oakland.
You draft and dream to get players like Mack. They had it and they blew it. This isn't Herschel Walker. This is arguably the best D player in the game and he is in his prime and will be in his prime for a few more years. This is a guy who, if he keeps going and stays healthy, is on the path to be a HOFer.

This isn't the NHL. In the NFL, things can turn on a dime like THAT. This isn't gonna turn into some bounty of "2 top 3 picks!"

This time last year everyone would've laughed if you would've said the Jags would've been in the AFC title game.
It happens every year when a team is junk one year and then a threat the next.

Last edited:

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
These false equivalencies are hilarious.

The Eagles had by far the most talented roster in the league , and an offence the rest of the league hadn't adjusted to. Plus, Foles, played out his damn mind. They didn't win in-spite of him , they won because he played like an elite QB for that entire playoff run.

Can Mitch do that? No
Are the Bears as loaded with talent as the Eagles? No

The Broncos had one of the best defences in the modern era , and a broken down Peyton who still effected the game with his brain. If you re-watch the game versus New England , he made the requisite throws. Throws and mastery at the line of scrimmage that Mitchell friggin' Trubisky is quite simply incapable of. Let me know when he can win a championship game against Brady/Belichek in foxborough with any defence.

The NFL is unpredictable , but again, elite QB's are the best predictor. There's 3 , count em' , 3 QB's in the Bears division better than Mitchell , and I would argue, comparable or better rosters.

Reactions: sfvega

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I was already down on the Lions so I wouldn't be surprised if Chicago finishes ahead of them this year now.

I don't view Chicago as a playoff team but they could compete for the last wild card spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad