News Article: Maatta re-signed, 6 years, $4.083M/yr

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
In what world is a player that averages 20 minutes a year and can play in literally all circumstances not worth 4 million dollar? Especially when they are 21 and can really only go up from here.

It isn't "fair", it is a complete steal.

I think he's essentially a 2nd pairing d-man who is now getting 2nd pairing money. The fact that we force him to play on the top pair doesn't mean paying him 2nd pairing money is a steal.

Sure, he is averaging 20 minutes a night but not looking great doing it. He's doing well enough to be the #2D on a pretty mediocre defense. Also keep in mind that he's yet to play well for a full length season. Assuming he can do that, it'll be a good deal. And if he can get back to the level he was playing at the start of last year, it will be a steal.

I don't think its crazy to think he will do either of those things. But there is some risk to the deal for sure. I think calling it fair is about right currently.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I hate paying guys up front for future results... but I feel like the Penguins left a fair amount of meat on the bone, so to speak. And the term is helpful to Maatta, who undoubtedly enjoys the security and stability of such a deal.

Like I said... sometimes it works out nice for both sides. That isn't to say Maatta doesn't have some work to do. I think that's pretty clear watching him this year.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I hate paying guys up front for future results... but I feel like the Penguins left a fair amount of meat on the bone, so to speak. And the term is helpful to Maatta, who undoubtedly enjoys the security and stability of such a deal.

Like I said... sometimes it works out nice for both sides. That isn't to say Maatta doesn't have some work to do. I think that's pretty clear watching him this year.

It's better than paying for past results like SJ and Washington did with Martin and Orpik.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think he's essentially a 2nd pairing d-man who is now getting 2nd pairing money. The fact that we force him to play on the top pair doesn't mean paying him 2nd pairing money is a steal.

Sure, he is averaging 20 minutes a night but not looking great doing it. He's doing well enough to be the #2D on a pretty mediocre defense. Also keep in mind that he's yet to play well for a full length season. Assuming he can do that, it'll be a good deal. And if he can get back to the level he was playing at the start of last year, it will be a steal.

I don't think its crazy to think he will do either of those things. But there is some risk to the deal for sure. I think calling it fair is about right currently.

It is crazy to me how neurotic this board is about player assessments.

Two years ago, Maatta was one of the best young defensemen in the league. Cancer and two shoulder surgeries later and he is at best a mediocre # 4.

He was never going to be Lidstrom, but he is a 21 year old that can easily play 20 minutes a night in the NHL for any team in a top four position for the next six years. Even at his lowest points, he is still going to be capable of that. This is exactly the type of contract we should be giving out and calling anything but a win is just stupid and short sighted.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's better than paying for past results like SJ and Washington did with Martin and Orpik.

That's probably true. Though I'd argue that many times they lead to the same result -- ass contracts you are stuck with. Though at least with the future-results contracts, the players in question are young enough that you can get some team out there to bite with the hopes of "fixing" the player.

Just to be clear... I like the Maatta contract. And feel like the Penguins left the appropriate amount of "growth" on the deal. The term is balanced out a bit by having a NTC kick in the last two years. Very smart deal all around, I think.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Two years ago, Maatta was one of the best young defensemen in the league. Cancer and two shoulder surgeries later and he is at best a mediocre # 4.

I have been saying since his first day in the league that people here were overly praising him and often argued that Despres was every bit as good as him. Again, he's a good player. He's not a great player yet. He was getting there before the injuries. Hell, he was there for a few weeks last year.

I also didn't say he was a mediocre #4. I said he's playing like a 2nd pairing guy. That's not an insult. He'd be on most team's 2nd pairing imo.

And can I make the point that you really can't just ignore cancer and two shoulder surgeries. It is entirely possible that he will never be as good as he could have been without those. Especially considering he will be on medication for the rest of his career due to the cancer.

He was never going to be Lidstrom, but he is a 21 year old that can easily play 20 minutes a night in the NHL for any team in a top four position for the next six years. Even at his lowest points, he is still going to be capable of that. This is exactly the type of contract we should be giving out and calling anything but a win is just stupid and short sighted.

I also called this a good contract. Worst case scenario (other than more injuries obviously, but that's for any player), its fair value for what he already is.

Last edited:

NordicHockeyFan

Feb 26, 2016
I think this just shows how commited the Pens are to help Määttä level up his game which gives more assurance that he will be worth the money along the way. This gives assurance both ways and an understanding that if everything goes well both sides benefit. But given the health issues it's a huge gamble. Though after four successful healthy years Määttä will be thinking he should be getting more which may lead to ever greater personal progress. I'm really just writing what ever comes to mind here, not really being analytic. There are only so many examples of statistically unproven players getting big contracts that didn't back fire, that weren't draftees or rookies.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011

Shocking, a hive of people proven wrong year after year about the potential of this team might have evaluation problems.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness

:laugh:

When I first scanned this I thought it was actually Rutherford's account. Either way it's good.

Also Nice.

Does this mean we should call him Skynet?

I got not issues with this deal. 6 years is a bit of a stretch but not a huge deal. Overall I like it. If he stays healthy and improves his weaknesses I love it.

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
Awesome contract. Hope Maatta only goes up from here and works on his deficiencies a bit.

Now if only we could trade Kunitz for Despres and have the perfect defense :)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Shocking, a hive of people proven wrong year after year about the potential of this team might have evaluation problems.

too bad I don't believe and never said the things he attributed to me. But hey, I get it. Its easier to counter an argument you make up yourself.

Last edited:

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
too bad I don't believe and never said the things he attributed to me. But hey, I get it. Its easier to counter an argument you make up yourself.

It's funny how if you say someone isn't quite a first pairing player then you're automatically saying they suck. And then he went on to complain about posters on this board, the irony is strong there.

You're allowed to take middle roads sometimes people. And I don't think anyone here thinks he won't be worth this contract if he progresses as expected.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011

What's too bad is you wasted time writing this response.

Besides, the point of that quote is actually highlighting a flaw in his opinion, not yours. Whining about overreactions to maata and his new contract by this board due to prior hypothetical overrating of his ability compared to now is hilariously farcical considering the vast majority of this board is wrong about almost everything about this team when comparing supposedly "informed" opinions at the beginning of seasons to the actual results of them, and has been for years, yet continues to act like this is god's gift to hockey discussion. I'm still waiting for that supposed one or two moves they're missing from being set to beat anybody in the playoffs, any day n...wait...year now.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It's funny how if you say someone isn't quite a first pairing player then you're automatically saying they suck. And then he went on to complain about posters on this board, the irony is strong there.

You're allowed to take middle roads sometimes people. And I don't think anyone here thinks he won't be worth this contract if he progresses as expected.

Yeah, people really don't like arguing against the middle-ground.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Olli knows what he has to work on, that's what I love about this kid, he knows his faults and wants to fix them. Very Crosby like.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The way I figure it is that we're seeing his floor this season. Top 4 defenseman (yeah, yeah, warts) and $4M for a top 4 defenseman isn't shocking. After that the contract is better and better. The big risk is injury problems taking their toll on him and causing some kind of decline or not playing enough. With Letang being Letang they need the rest of the defense to be durable.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
Määttä already gone crazy with his money: http://www.iltasanomat.fi/nhl/art-2000001127298.html

"I instantly had to go shopping and buy myself a new mattress topper for my bed. It is officially my first purchase after signing the new contract. I would have bought it anyway, though."

Loving it :D

Whoa. That's some crazy extravagance. Someone on the Pens should sit the kid down with a financial advisor and give him the money talk. Everyone knows bedding is the gateway drug of excessive spending. :laugh:

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
It's all making sense now...OM's skating has been off because of a stiff back! If only they'd paid the kid sooner...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad