Series Discussion: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Columbus Blue Jackets

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
They didn't have video review of goaltender interference at that time. It was up to the refs to make the call on the ice, which they missed/didn't care to call.

Now it would have triggered an automatic review since it was OT, where they certainly would have ruled interference on Knuble for pushing Thomas's pad in the crease.

Didn't they have the in the crease rule in place, the same one that the heel of Knuble's skate waived off that Ovi goal vs Monty? The rebound was well out of crease, and Knuble's skates were definitely in the crease, as he did his magic while the goal was scored. I guess once you are in with the puck, there is a grace period to get get.

NoLookPass

Jan 16, 2014
The silly thing is Ward's goal would have certainly been waved off for goaltender interference under the new rules.

Yeah and those celebrations are mostly suspension worthy. Guys are literally leaving there feet full speed at teammates into the boards. :laugh:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I didn't say he played a lot, I said he played very well. On this team quality play is not a direct correlation to ice time.

Sounds like you think the coach is playing the wrong players. Might be, I don't know. You might consider that maybe he played well because his ice time and opposition was restricted.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Sounds like you think the coach is playing the wrong players. Might be, I don't know. You might consider that maybe he played well because his ice time and opposition was restricted.
This theory would hold if he just looked good only in the terms of that time of the game and on the basis of conditioning only, but Djoos has looked great all season and he was great last night beyond his endurance.

I think it's more likely that the coach who saw Nate Schmidt as a 7 D undervalues smaller and fast defensemen regardless of the game they play. This is why Orpik is a staple in the lineup despite all statistical and visual evidence that makes the case otherwise. Barry Trotz has not progressed in his philosophy of hockey beyond 2004. Heavy bottom 6, big plodding defensemen, secure a lead and turtle.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
This theory would hold if he just looked good only in the terms of that time of the game and on the basis of conditioning only, but Djoos has looked great all season and he was great last night beyond his endurance.

I think it's more likely that the coach who saw Nate Schmidt as a 7 D undervalues smaller and fast defensemen regardless of the game they play. This is why Orpik is a staple in the lineup despite all statistical and visual evidence that makes the case otherwise. Barry Trotz has not progressed in his philosophy of hockey beyond 2004. Heavy bottom 6, big plodding defensemen, secure a lead and turtle.

I know. Djoos being scratched proves they don't know what they are doing. Orpik in proves they don't know what they are doing.

Anybody have a count on how many goals against Orpik has been on for and how that compares to the others? I see him as even in plus minus which is like top 5 on the team. I assume he has been on for ppga or 2.

Anyone?

Last edited:

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I know. Djoos being scratched proves they don't know what they are doing. Orpik in proves they don't know what they are doing.

Anybody have a count on how many goals against Orpik has been on for and how that compares to the others? I see him as even in plus minus which is like top 5 on the team. I assume he has been on for ppga or 2.

Anyone?
He was on for at least one PP goal because he just stood by while Vanek stood in front of him in the crease without the least bit of discomfort and then allowed him to shoot/score point blank.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC

Anyone?
2 for; 2 against at even strength. 3 more on PK for 5 total

As compared to the other D including PK: Niskanen with 5 against, Orlov 6, Carlson 3, Kempny 1, Jerabek 2, Djoos 0

Orlov only D with more than 2 goals against at even strength and he has 5

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
2 for; 2 against at even strength. 3 more on PK for 5 total

As compared to the other D including PK: Niskanen with 5 against, Orlov 6, Carlson 3, Kempny 1, Jerabek 2, Djoos 0

Orlov only D with more than 2 goals against at even strength and he has 5

5? geez. Why are we complaining about Orpik?

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
5? geez. Why are we complaining about Orpik?

Because while he's been poor, he's still got a 61% CF overall, Orpik's at 42%. Even with his awful GA, his GA/60 is still almost a goal and a quarter per game better then Orpiks. Orlov has been bad, but he's at least still doing things that should eventually lead to goals and points. He's also got a really low PDO (85) which would indicate he's been unlucky.

Essentially every stat says Orpik's played to what he is and Orlov has been insanely unlucky. When he's on ice he's shelling the opposing team.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Because while he's been poor, he's still got a 61% CF overall, Orpik's at 42%. Even with his awful GA, his GA/60 is still almost a goal and a quarter per game better then Orpiks. Orlov has been bad, but he's at least still doing things that should eventually lead to goals and points. He's also got a really low PDO (85) which would indicate he's been unlucky.

Essentially every stat says Orpik's played to what he is and Orlov has been insanely unlucky. When he's on ice he's shelling the opposing team.

Every stat is based on offensive output and Oprik plays defense. Are you saying that primary defensive defensemen shouldn't play?

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Every stat is based on offensive output and Oprik plays defense. Are you saying that primary defensive defensemen shouldn't play?

I'm saying in todays day and age, if all you're doing is letting goals in and hemorrhaging high quality scoring chances against you shouldn't be playing. It's also not like he's playing a super shut down role, the only players with less DZ starts then him are his two partners (and one missed a game, the other missed two). So he plays sheltered minutes and hemorrhages high danger shots, which is where he's supposed to make his money with defending the crease.

At the end of the day, the goal is to put the puck more in their net then ours and he fails at that; end of discussion.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Unless I am completely reading them wrong...

Corsica | Skater Stats

is one and...

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

And StatTrick shows that Orlov's generated 20 High Danger Chances and only been on ice for 5 while Orpik has generated 5 and been on ice or 10. Maybe that's a PK thing but Niskanen has almost identical stats to Orlov in that scenario, 21 generated and 6 allowed.

I was seeing over 50% corsi for Orpik on Corsica. Albeit 50.2 or something, and his GA/60 at 1.5 with Orlov at 2.9 or something.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I had it set to even strength in the link, and his corsi is even but his high danger chances still suck and his generated one's suck as well. Meaning maybe he's giving up as many shots as he gets when on ice, but the quality is night and day. If you change it to look at all data you can see he's allowing 2.55 xGA/60 and 1.62 xGF/60 while Orlov had 1.64 xGA/60 and 4.22 xGF/60. But that's with Orlov playing almost half an hour more of TOI and having an xGF of 4.22 and an xGA of 1.64. You can bump it to just ES, since Orpik has double Orlov's TOI for the PK and none of his PP time, and the numbers change to a more respectable 1.95 xGF/60 and 2.03 xGA/50 for Orpik and 2.43 xGF/60 and 1.09 xGA/60 for Orlov.

At ES Orlov is still a team worst 87 in PDO, while Brooks is compeltely average at 100. So Orpik's been better then we give him credit for, still awful in high danger chances, and Orlov has been insanely unlucky this series.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
His high danger chances? His partners have been healthy scratched. Is that factored in that he is covering for mistake prone young defensemen? He's not out there by himself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad