Series Discussion: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Columbus Blue Jackets

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
They are in a good position and I wouldn't be surprised if they try to goon it up some if they have a good lead. No doubt about it, I think we can safely say they have talked about it in the locker room that the Caps PP is hurting them.

I too expect a parade to the box. They should put their foot on our neck and not back off one bit.

I hope Barry gives Bura's PP time to Vrana, and doesn't just put out his 4th line for the last 30 seconds.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
If they win the cup this will turn the professional sports world upside down and show no plan or model is set for winning a championship. I'm not a fan of Vegas, but I do like their coach a lot.
You give the talking heads too much credit. The storyline will be that the cast away players banned together with a chip on their shoulder and yada, yada, yada...

I mean the Knights are already spoken about as if they're a team comprised of other teams trash, that narrative is so not true it's funny. These expansion rules benefitted Vegas more than any previous expansion ever had. Teams were forced to expose almost 50% of their roster, good teams were extremely handcuffed as to what to protect. In the current NHL you design a quality team with potential scoring on all lines and at the very least excellent top 4 defensemen (although most elite teams are pretty deep through all 6).

The last expansion team was the 2000 draft and teams were allowed to protect 9 forwards, 5 defensemen, and one goalie, oh did I mention two teams were drafting as well? So the decks were stacked against those teams being competitive. Not to mention that draft happened in 2000 when teams were still somewhat stuck in the era of the heavy bottom and skilled top 6, today the game has evolved.

So returning to this BS narrative that the Knights are composed of trash, they're plainly not. This expansion required only 3 defensemen be protected for 7 forwards, what this meant is a lot of d-men were exposed and Vegas held all the cards. Vegas was able to do two things, develop a deep defense as well as use these terms to leverage out the trade and release of other players. I give GMGM and his staff credit, but this idea that they've taken the 74 Capitals and made them into Champions is so incredibly wrong.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
....I give GMGM and his staff credit, but this idea that they've taken the 74 Capitals and made them into Champions is so incredibly wrong.

Heh George couldnt get the 2010 Capitals to the finals.

Not sure what you mean but it's so incredibly wrong to think Vegas's chance at winning a cup will be as difficult as ours was. Has been. Is. They are already in the playoffs. Incredible management by George, my ass he was gifted a playoff team. Not only did he get handed a playoff caliber team, every other team was weakened.

We are still looking for our replacement for Schmidt as I type this.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
You give the talking heads too much credit. The storyline will be that the cast away players banned together with a chip on their shoulder and yada, yada, yada...

I mean the Knights are already spoken about as if they're a team comprised of other teams trash, that narrative is so not true it's funny. These expansion rules benefitted Vegas more than any previous expansion ever had. Teams were forced to expose almost 50% of their roster, good teams were extremely handcuffed as to what to protect. In the current NHL you design a quality team with potential scoring on all lines and at the very least excellent top 4 defensemen (although most elite teams are pretty deep through all 6).

The last expansion team was the 2000 draft and teams were allowed to protect 9 forwards, 5 defensemen, and one goalie, oh did I mention two teams were drafting as well? So the decks were stacked against those teams being competitive. Not to mention that draft happened in 2000 when teams were still somewhat stuck in the era of the heavy bottom and skilled top 6, today the game has evolved.

So returning to this BS narrative that the Knights are composed of trash, they're plainly not. This expansion required only 3 defensemen be protected for 7 forwards, what this meant is a lot of d-men were exposed and Vegas held all the cards. Vegas was able to do two things, develop a deep defense as well as use these terms to leverage out the trade and release of other players. I give GMGM and his staff credit, but this idea that they've taken the 74 Capitals and made them into Champions is so incredibly wrong.

I never said they were garbage and yes of all the expansion teams, they were given good pieces to select. I am pointing out how an expansion team winning in the first season of their existence will shake the sports world. If anything, Vegas had a nice choice to select from.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

Also, I don't listen to the talking heads. I play my games on mute for most of the playoffs and don't have twitter etc.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Heh George couldnt get the 2010 Capitals to the finals.

Not sure what you mean but it's so incredibly wrong to think Vegas's chance at winning a cup will be as difficult as ours was. Has been. Is. They are already in the playoffs. Incredible management by George, my ass he was gifted a playoff team. Not only did he get handed a playoff caliber team, every other team was weakened.

We are still looking for our replacement for Schmidt as I type this.
There were still decisions he could have made that would have knee capped the team. He could have seriously gone forward thinking and traded all capable players off for future considerations, no one would have slighted him.

I somewhat suspect this year of success is actually breaking his 5 year plan, he'll never be able to go full rebuild now. Meanwhile if he had kept March or Karlsson for a year, failed and still gotten comparable stats he could've flipped them

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Don't fool yourself. I'm here because of Ovi initially and will forgive him anything but he wasn't an ES force first 2 games. This could be it the rest of his career. The speed just isn't there and he's checked good enough by competent (top) defenders.

I believe (and hope) he can do better (like in 10 minutes soon) but the real driver on that 1st line is Kuzy. My whole suggestion was about to give Kuzy another proven top-6 winger with 1) good age 2) speed (and proven top-6 winger means IQ + skill) to work with. Then make Ovi middle-6 hockey ambassador for line matching and PP purposes.

In the offseason I thought Kuzy is enough to make all the work for Ovi in ES but maybe it isn't. Maybe there is a need for Panarin like player on RW... But where do you get that player (and he has to play some defense to offset Ovi's inability to do so)???

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Did you watch game 2? Eller was great at creating chances around the crease. He was far from the issue, and if he continues to play like that he will end up on the score sheet soon enough.

8bAw.gif

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I’ve pined for Ovy w Eller for a while now. I think it may force Ovy to do the dirty greasy things needed to score ES in the Loffs. I’d love it.

And even though they won, I’d sit someone (Chiasson or DSP) for Gersich. Get that kid and his speed in there. ASAP.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
DSP could be Kuzy's winger. Why sit him? He certainly knows what to do in playoffs. I think he's playing solidly for his role on the team. Any dumb penalties by him? No, AFAIR. Good ES goal? Yes. Contribution for OTG? Yes. This guy has some poise to not force things and can play a passing game with Kuzy. Showed it at some point of the regular season, mind you.

DSP is on the roster to stay.

Also, Gersich will make 4th line to play once a period for Barry.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Connolly-Eller-DSP was clearly our best line yesterday. I don't think that's a great sign but they did seem tough to play against.

Ovie needs to step his game up -- more bull rushes like the one he put on Jones, please. Oshie looks concussed again. They need their stars to be stars the rest of the series.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
DSP could be Kuzy's winger. Why sit him? He certainly knows what to do in playoffs. I think he's playing solidly for his role on the team. Any dumb penalties by him? No, AFAIR. Good ES goal? Yes. Contribution for OTG? Yes. This guy has some poise to not force things and can play a passing game with Kuzy. Showed it at some point of the regular season, mind you.

DSP is on the roster to stay.

Also, Gersich will make 4th line to play once a period for Barry.

Druce Smith Pelly has played well. He gets playoff hockey. :)

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
The Ovi-Backstrom-Kuz Bermuda triangle is an old problem.

All of these players, especially Ovi, have problems with work-rate. Ovi doesn't have the stamina, Backstrom is missing a top gear, Kuz can fly but relies more on skating proficiency and does not have a great motor for stop-and-start hockey (which sometimes is necessary).

For a long time, my opinion has been that each of these guys ideally needs two linemates with great motor, especially for today's NHL. This is why they struggle (or don't impress) when playing together. The other team can outwork them by a big enough margin to negate any talent disparity.

It makes sense to try them on different lines, Ovi with Eller, etc. But I think it's pretty clear that Trotz will never try Ovi out of the top-6 (until his scoring drops precipitously), so we'll continue to see Ovi-Kuz and Ovi-Backstrom problems. In Trotz's defense, I think most coaches would not dare either. It breaks their programming.

On a slight tangent, purely as a Gedankenexperiment (hehe), would be interesting to see Backstrom & Kuz on the same line at ES. Can't afford to do that... but would be interesting to see what chemistry they might develop -- and whether it could be enough to overcome motor deficiencies, esp. with Kuz freed from center duties. With Vrana as the 3rd guy, for example.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Connolly-Eller-DSP was clearly our best line yesterday. I don't think that's a great sign but they did seem tough to play against.

Ovie needs to step his game up -- more bull rushes like the one he put on Jones, please. Oshie looks concussed again. They need their stars to be stars the rest of the series.
Agree on all counts. And honestly, of Oshie got his bell rung, sit him. He's not bringing anything. Put Gersich in on the 4th line and move 18 up to Backy's wing for moar speed!

And on another note: PK was much better last night. Obviously that's partly Holtby's strong play, but I thought they were much stronger on their clears and more aggressive closing the gap on the Jackets' skaters anytime the puck was loose.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
The most painful possible scenario involves the Caps making it to the Cup finals, and losing in Game 7 to the Golden Knights.

Still half-expecting that.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'd be happy for Schmidt, McPhee, Eakin, and all of the guys the Panthers inexplicably ran out of town (Gallant, Marchessault, Smith). I'd be mildly upset about Fleury and Neal winning a cup, especially because that probably means MAF would lock up a Hall of Fame spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad