Series Discussion: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Carolina Hurricanes, Category 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I tell you what, the Canes fans on this board are making every other fan look like idiots. You clearly can tell they have just started watching hockey and/or are extremely young

Every hit to them is a headshot or a penalty

That “icing” was supposed to be reviewable according to a post I saw

The entire NHL, refs, media has a bias for us

Always remember there are a handful of idiots everywhere you go, they’re not all like that.

We too have apparent Caps fans that I see only post on the mains and some of it is cringeworthy, they never talk here.

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
1. I have been offered 2 center ice lower level seats for G6. I am so excited. First to be alive and second to feel well enough to go and third to have the avail of the tickets.

2. Carolina fans are no more stupid than any other fan base. Every Caps hit on a Pen is dirty and so on.
1. That's awesome

2. I don't think Canes fans as a whole are stupid, just a couple of them.

Actually, some of them are pretty darn clever. Especially when trolling :laugh:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think I am figuring out Orpik's MO. He headhunts early in each series and then backs off and focuses on D after that. He imprints his Oprik 44 stamp on opposition jaws to make then think twice for the rest of the series. Which makes his steady eddie job easier.

I loved the hitting at the end of the game. Insult to injury, it is literally putting your foot on their scrawny necks. Very demoralizing.

You know the canes may well be befuddled, as everyone knows they didn't game plan to stop Nick from scoring goals :biglaugh:. They have to close the backdoor on Nick at this point, or hope and pray. Which may mean its time for Ovi to shoot more.

Shoutout to Holts with the shutout. Its funny if he didn't eat Orlov's pizza and we lost, that turnover is all we would be talking about today. Holts but makes it an after thought. Tending is huge in deciding games, but I think every single fan takes tending for granted at one time or another.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think I am figuring out Orpik's MO. He headhunts early in each series and then backs off and focuses on D after that. He imprints his Oprik 44 stamp on opposition jaws to make then think twice for the rest of the series.

Early in the series. You mean like in game 7? Orpik hits to hurt playoff game in and game out.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Ovi 123 and 11 hits says it all. I have theorized that when Ovi goes into heavy passing mode, he is nursing an injury. He may also do that periodically to keep goalies and defenses honest. Or, maybe it's a directive from coaches, including telling Nick to drive the net he is going to be our finisher this series.

We scratch our heads when he passes up great scoring chances, but we literally expect him to shoot all the damn time. It ain't going to happen, and there are times when the goalie or D challenges him properly and effectively close the door on him, and he should pass. Is there another player that goalies should be challenging more aggressively? Hell no.

I flash back to game 7 OT vs philly in his first loffs, when he passed up shooting to pass to Feds. I hope that is the correct game I am remembering.

I think we can probably dispense with any theories about Ovi passing up a shot, especially around things like " the coaches want Backie to be the finisher". I think the simplest answer here is, Ovi makes the play he thinks is the best chance to score, be it pass or shoot.. I think sometimes we see the play differently on TV than he does on the ice, but I doubt Ovi passes up a shot in favor of a pass for any reason other than he thought it was the best chance to score. Also seeing him laser that PPG late in the game, we can rule out injury as well. He's running like a well oiled RussianMachine. He's not broken.

Last edited:

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
That was great statement game last night. No reason why they can't carry it over for Game 6.

There is no reason this series should go 7 games.

Caps need to end it tomorrow night and get a chance to rest up for a few days before facing the Isles.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
So with the Oshie news, who gets inserted into the lineup if they decide they need more skill? Is it just Boyd? Barber finally gets the call? Gersich?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So with the Oshie news, who gets inserted into the lineup if they decide they need more skill? Is it just Boyd? Barber finally gets the call? Gersich?

Not sure I see that as an option. Hagelin, Vrana and Burakovsky are the tools to move around there. Everybody else is a 4th liner. I don't see them going for Barber or Gersich unless there is another injury.

Reactions: Corby78 and Drakon

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Very demoralizing.

I'm sure its been mentioned many times (I was drunk off my ass) but I loved how there was no let up. At all.

How easily we could have taken the foot off the pedal and turtle it up when we were 3-0 up, 4-0 up, 5-0 up, hell even 6-0 up with a few minutes left. Even at the very end we had scoring chances galore.

Score effects had no effect. When you would think Carolina would put in maximum effort to make it a game or just not get shutout, we were the ones attacking them. It was almost workman-like.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Didn't see on TV as I was actually there in the arena but Forslund doing commentary for the Caps game when he is a broadcaster for the Canes seemed odd. Of course he sounded very disappointed after that 6-0 win :laugh:
I agree! Really like Forslund but it's asking too much for him to set his Canes relationship aside for a national playoff broadcast. Very lame by NBC.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I've sat next to too many finance bros at Caps games and listened to them struggle to explain the rules to their dates and too many people who scream "SHOOOT" non-stop to ever look down my nose at another fanbase.

We have some real strugglers in DC...

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I'm curious to see if last game was a part of crazy ebb and flow of playoff hockey or Caps have actually got into the zone.

Props to Reirden for reassembling the D pairs. Zig-n-Zola might make an occasional boo-boo but at least Carlson knows what side of the ice he is supposed to be on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad