Series Discussion: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Carolina Hurricanes, Category 1

Who wins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Switch was flipped at the trade deadline. The record and numbers indicate that. They didn't run at 100% but the last two TB games showed the effort and commitment. 60 shots on goal in one game and Orpik fighting in the second game. The two Canes games showed they were on their game systematically. They strangled the Canes back to back games. Not worried.

yes, they played the Canes much softer but were very sound in playing defensively. I really like how they are coached and can play multiple styles depending on the opponent.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Get well soon Tex as we need you to road represent us proper.

I sure hope Blaine has a trick up his PP sleeve, as Carolina will be even more aggressive in taking away Ovi. I think Nick and Kuzy have to shoot, or get pucks to Oshie.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I sure hope Blaine has a trick up his PP sleeve, as Carolina will be even more aggressive in taking away Ovi. I think Nick and Kuzy have to shoot, or get pucks to Oshie.

Oshie is good at deflecting pucks in. Just aim at him more.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Get well soon Tex as we need you to road represent us proper.

what are the chances the Caps were sandbagging the PP at the end of the season so their playoff opponent would not have a game plan for a new look? i'm hoping that's the case because the zone entries and shot selection was pretty abysmal.

but not likely.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Oshie is good at deflecting pucks in. Just aim at him more.

Definitely an option... and I love when Nick does his very rare leaping screen attempt. But one problem, no one wants to get in front of an Ovi slapper, at least not since Chris Clark took one off the ear that I think broke his helmet, among damage to Clark's head.

I wonder if a rotation with Ovi moving down low, Carlson sliding left etc... may open things up. Have Ovi shoot at a lessor angle, or stuff Kuzy crease crossers. Bah, the trick up our sleeve will be Carlson and Ovi swapping spots.

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I agree no one wants to get hit by an Ovie slapper, but in the playoffs guys are willing to sacrifice their bodies to stand in his shooting lanes.

Or maybe all those Rangers series over the years traumatized me on that, where it seems like every bruise they got from Ovie was like some badge of honor or something. Tell their grandchildren one day.

Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
what are the chances the Caps were sandbagging the PP at the end of the season so their playoff opponent would not have a game plan for a new look? i'm hoping that's the case because the zone entries and shot selection was pretty abysmal.

but not likely.

I feel like we have seen a change. Teams now don't wait for the playoffs to start, to implement a very aggressive PK. It's always been a head scratcher to me as to why they don't.

If I were a PK forward in a soft zone, you are going to be in a shooting gallery. I would rather be in the face of a shooter, and stuff his shot from in close. Yes at the expense of having to skate. NHLers for all their talents, struggle with fast clean crisp wheelhouse passes while under pressure.

I still laugh at Hakstol and his soft ass PK vs us in the playoffs. I think we were at 50% efficiency, which was needed as they took us to 6 games. He should have been fired at the end of that series.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Well, you know. Averages. Niskanen admitted last week that both he and Orlov were flat. He said he didn't think it would take them 60 games to find their legs.
They have looked like themselves to me of late. Holtby has been locked in. Honestly, they are suffocating everybody. I see no reason to be pessimistic. I think they will bring their A game

I agree. Let's just say some of us were more confident than others that they would both find their games by the time it mattered.

Reactions: Blades of Steel

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I agree. Let's just say some of us were more confident than others that they would both find their games by the time it mattered.

I still think it was the two of them making each individual look bad. Seems as soon as Orlov gained the confidence to deke a forward at the blue line and charge the net, Niskanen suddenly was Niskanen again.

Meanwhile this throws a big stinking wrench into everyone that wanted to get rid of him(Niskanen)

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I still think it was the two of them making each individual look bad. Seems as soon as Orlov gained the confidence to deke a forward at the blue line and charge the net, Niskanen suddenly was Niskanen again.

Meanwhile this throws a big stinking wrench into everyone that wanted to get rid of him(Niskanen)

A solid run will increase his value a lot... but maybe moving a top 4 defensemen to keep Connolly or Burakovsky isn't that wise.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
A solid run will increase his value a lot... but maybe moving a top 4 defensemen to keep Connolly or Burakovsky isn't that wise.

Truth. I think the idea is that he is over the hill and the Caps need to get out from under him. Now suddenly he isn't over the hill. Trading top 4 d isn't a good idea.

MacLellan will find a way to keep those wingers that he wants.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Thanks. Whats funny....ok. not funny. Weird maybe. I was in the hospital or recovering from mid march last year thru winning the cup. Here's hoping they can win without my putting in that much time

GET WELL SOON.

#HOLDINGSHIFT

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Thanks. Know that I feel good. I have an electrical problem that will get fixed.

Let me know if you need any help :)

Electric-problems.jpg

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Kempny loss is big, but talking heads on Twitter are making it seem like we lost a 6 time Norris winner and that it happened in game 82.

Maybe I have my head buried in the sand but I don't understand the legitimate discussion of Carolina beating us. At no point this season did they demonstrate one bit of an iota of anything that makes me think they're built for the playoffs. Conversely a team like Long Island that plays staunch defense is hell in the playoffs.

Like I get the whole tepid takes thing because people don't want to tempt fate and so you get a lot of "Oh I could see them beating us" or "It will be a hard fought 7 game series". But if I'm just putting it all out there, there is no reason why we shouldn't blow the doors off this team in 5 or less.

I'm prepared to eat crow if we lose, but I really think that if Michal Kempny was what was keeping us from losing to a WC1 undersized team then we weren't long for this world to begin with.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Thanks. Whats funny....ok. not funny. Weird maybe. I was in the hospital or recovering from mid march last year thru winning the cup. Here's hoping they can win without my putting in that much time

Yea hopefully not that long this time around for you. I'm Type 1 diabetic, so I'm always in and out of hospital beds. It's never fun watching games in a hospital room by yourself (good thing now you can stream games on your phone)

Thankfully I've never had to miss any Caps playoffs, but last year's Super Bowl consisted of me, myself, a hospital bed, and 1 bar of a graham cracker. Wouldn't even give me juice those *******.

Get well soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad