GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
M.Joseph - 2.950 x 3yrs
Brannstrom - 2.000 x 1yr
2nd Rounder

Any takers for that package?
Just keep him for this season and hope he rebounds.

No point in throwing away more assets for nothing. The Sens have already done that too much under Dorian’s tenure as GM. Senators should just live and die by the contracts they have signed at this point.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Just keep him for this season and hope he rebounds.

No point in throwing away more assets for nothing. The Sens have already done that too much under Dorian’s tenure as GM. Senators should just live and die by the contracts they have signed at this point.

I'm weighing the value of the cap space in negatiations with Detroit, and I think it's a solid bluff.
Basically, freeing up ~3.000 allows us to fit DeBrincat under the salary cap. Right now we can't and that plays heavily in Detroit's favor in terms of negotiation tactics.

Brannstrom can be replaced by Kleven, and Joseph isn't a big loss. I feel this is a reasonable price to pay for the bluff that we'll simply stick with DeBrincat if we don't get what we want from someone.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Joseph and Boucher to Chicago for Future considerations.

Honestly Boucher looks like he can develop into a Josh Anderson in my eyes. Chicago doesn’t have another similar prospect to Boucher so I think that’d be a smart trade for them to make.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Obviously looking to pay as little as possible. What's the lowest price you think a team would be willing to accept to take on Joseph? He's what I'd consider to be a solid 4th liner who is considerably overpaid, and can play 3rd line in a pinch.

Somewhat notable trade assets:
2024 2nd
2025 2nd
LW - Alex Formenton (MIA RFA)
D - Filip Nordberg (64th in 2022)
RW- Tyler Boucher (10th in 2021)
C - Zack Ostapchuk (39th in 2021)
D - Benjamin Roger (49th in 2021)
LW - Roby Jarventie (33rd in 2020)
G - Leevi Merilainen (71st in 2020)
D - Lassi Thomson (19th in 2019)

Not interested in trading:
1st Rounders
R.Greig
E.Sokolov
M.Sogaard
T.Kleven
Any other roster player
Who is that and what team does he play for?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Obviously looking to pay as little as possible. What's the lowest price you think a team would be willing to accept to take on Joseph? He's what I'd consider to be a solid 4th liner who is considerably overpaid, and can play 3rd line in a pinch.

Somewhat notable trade assets:
2024 2nd
2025 2nd
LW - Alex Formenton (MIA RFA)
D - Filip Nordberg (64th in 2022)
RW- Tyler Boucher (10th in 2021)
C - Zack Ostapchuk (39th in 2021)
D - Benjamin Roger (49th in 2021)
LW - Roby Jarventie (33rd in 2020)
G - Leevi Merilainen (71st in 2020)
D - Lassi Thomson (19th in 2019)

Not interested in trading:
1st Rounders
R.Greig
E.Sokolov
M.Sogaard
T.Kleven
Any other roster player
maybe the 2024 2nd + Boucher to dump Joseph.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevinRedkey

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
It’s clear that a lot of people don’t realize we can buyout Joseph if we take Cat to arb and keep him (aka the only reason we’d need to get rid of Joseph’s salary this offseason).

Sens giving up a 2nd to get rid of Joseph is laughable. Giving up Ostapchuk is a fantasy. The Sens will sooner trade Debrincat for a 2nd rounder than they will trade Joseph and a 2nd for nothing.

Reactions: SENStastic

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I'm weighing the value of the cap space in negatiations with Detroit, and I think it's a solid bluff.
Basically, freeing up ~3.000 allows us to fit DeBrincat under the salary cap. Right now we can't and that plays heavily in Detroit's favor in terms of negotiation tactics.

Brannstrom can be replaced by Kleven, and Joseph isn't a big loss. I feel this is a reasonable price to pay for the bluff that we'll simply stick with DeBrincat if we don't get what we want from someone.
I’m sorry, I like you and all, but that is not a very compelling strategy. It’s inconceivable to me that this type of posturing would result in equivalent or greater value in return from Detroit. I really do not think this is a well thought out proposal.

Reactions: bert

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It’s clear that a lot of people don’t realize we can buyout Joseph if we take Cat to arb and keep him (aka the only reason we’d need to get rid of Joseph’s salary this offseason).

Sens giving up a 2nd to get rid of Joseph is laughable. Giving up Ostapchuk is a fantasy. The Sens will sooner trade Debrincat for a 2nd rounder than they will trade Joseph and a 2nd for nothing.

Ottawa can't buyout Joseph in the second window. Only players with $4m+ AAV can be bought out. Joseph's AAV is $2.95m.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Side note but as a Sens fan I find it interesting how many non Sens fans are proposing deals with Boucher as the main prospect.

He's not very well viewed on the Sens board by majority, mostly because of how high he was picked, but he definitely projects at worst as a 4th line winger with the potential for more if he pans out.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Joseph and Boucher to Chicago for Future considerations.

Honestly Boucher looks like he can develop into a Josh Anderson in my eyes. Chicago doesn’t have another similar prospect to Boucher so I think that’d be a smart trade for them to make.
And a terrible one for Ottawa.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I’m sorry, I like you and all, but that is not a very compelling strategy. It’s inconceivable to me that this type of posturing would result in equivalent or greater value in return from Detroit. I really do not think this is a well thought out proposal.

It's ok to have varying opinions. No big deal.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
The big question is why was he given the 2.95 avg in the first place. He has never shown to be that valuable. There are two things he has done well at in the past. A good back checker creating short hancd chances he had limited success with. He’s a turn over machine h trying to move the puck into the zone. He is fast give him that but again and again that does not cover his shortcomings.

Stranger things have happened I guess finding a team to take him on if there is retention. But do not expect any decent return coming back.

Reactions: bert

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
It is when the guy is at best a 4th liner / 13th Forward

I know enough to know that none of these guys have the upside to play top6 or top4D, and that no team will take a 3M 13th Forward for a POTENTIAL bottom 6er

At best he's a 3rd liner...

He makes 2.9

At worst he's a 4th liner.

He's overpaid by like 1.0-1.5. he should be making 1-point-something.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Sens will have 6.7M dollars in cap space if Leafs buyout Murray. Let's say they sign Pinto(RFA) for $2M for 1 year. They will have 4.7M to throw at a FA. They could move Brannstrom ($2M) in a trade.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
At best he's a 3rd liner...

He makes 2.9

At worst he's a 4th liner.

He's overpaid by like 1.0-1.5. he should be making 1-point-something.
He's not a 3rd liner, hia defensive skills are not there.

The guy isn't suited for bottom 6 minutes as he lacks defensive side of the game. And he isnt skilled enough to be a top6.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
He's not a 3rd liner, hia defensive skills are not there.

The guy isn't suited for bottom 6 minutes as he lacks defensive side of the game. And he isnt skilled enough to be a top6.

I didn't say he was a third liner. I said at best he's a third liner. I was correcting the poster. He has definitely shown glimpses of being a good third liner. He just needs to work on consistency. He's pretty streaky. He'll look completely involved and all over the ice for 20 games and then you won't notice him for 20 games.

The issue isn't the player, it's the contract. If he was making 1.4 or something, you'd probably hear no complaints and only here his name as someone the sens are excited or expecting to have a bounce back year.

He's fine in the bottom 6. His 2.9 is not, however, because anywhere around that price you would expect a 3rd line line driver, but he's more of a 3rd line complimentary player, at best.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
The Sens won't trade Joseph as they need depth, can't send it away. And you don't trade a guy after an off year.
He's a decent player, good wheels, good PK. He just seemed snake-bitten offensively. I can see him bounce back and get 10-15 goals.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Not a single asset on there worth taking thay big of a cap dump for that long.

Boucher is a busy
Thompson is a C prospect at this point
Ostapchul was good, but nothing crazy in the O last year, nothing screaming top6 potential
I agree if anything the Sens need to package him with a draft pick or 2 if need be but maybe just keep him.

Ironic how that late season burst after the trade wasn't sustainable but it wont be the last time this happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad