M Green last Defenseman to Score 30+ Goals in a Season. Who's next?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I really thought Burns would do it last year. He's pacing 31.5 goals right now. He's the only guy with a realistic shot imo. No pun intended. Klingberg might be able to one day.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Weber has an outside shot at it as he will get even more opportunities with the Habs as he did with Nashville (believe it or not). I have to agree that Burns is the more probable though.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
The amount of shots burns puts on net compared to every other defenseman I'd absurd. He's the only one I see doing it imo.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I think Weber has an outside shot at it as he will get even more opportunities with the Habs as he did with Nashville (believe it or not). I have to agree that Burns is the more probable though.

It will be interesting to see how many Weber gets playing the PP with Markov. You watch PK's highlights from the year he won the Norris and how many of his goals came off the stick of Markov. Not just PK but Souray as well. Markov is a fantastic partner for a guy who likes to bomb one timers.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
It's only happened once since 92-93 (with Green), twice since the end of the 80's (Kevin Hatcher), and offense is still down. The most likely answer is no one.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
It's only happened once since 92-93 (with Green), twice since the end of the 80's (Kevin Hatcher), and offense is still down. The most likely answer is no one.

Kevin Hatcher scored 30 goals as a Dman? You just blew my mind. I would have never guessed that.

Heres the list

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/most-goals-in-one-season-by-nhl-defensemen.html

Thats a great bit of trivia that I don't think a lot of hockey guys would know.

"In 1988-89 Paul Coffey completed his fourth and final season as a defenseman who scored 30 or more goals. Since then there have been only two defensemen to score more than 30 goals in a season. Can you name them?"

Last edited:

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Burns because beyond just having a lazer of a shot and being able to get so many of his shots through from the point, he also comes up and gets a lot of chances near the front of the net.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Erik Karlsson or Brent Burns seem likely.

Shayne Gostisbehere has 20 goals in his first 80 NHL games.

As Flyers improve and he improves, he could reach 30. Long-shot but you never know.

He has 3 goals already this year but his shooting percentage is 5 percentage points lower and he has hit 4 or 5 posts. If that goes back up he should pick up his pace again.

NYRcupboundyessir*

Ghost is my dark horse, Burns is the pretty obvious front runner, & I feel someone like PK is a wild card, he's got the shot & the tenacity, but the circumstances would have to be right (whatever those are exactly)

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Pretty much. I'm sure it will happen again, as it's not out of the realm of modern scoring since we do see the low 20's for defensemen quite frequently, and Burns came close last year, but I'm not sure it'll be any time soon. It requires the right player, the right team, and a bit of luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad