Blue Jays Discussion: M*A*S*H: Toronto edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebel111*

Yes. He's been much much better. He has more of a downward plane, he's keeping the ball down and more accurate. Before he was flying open and missing off the plate with his fastball.

He could be an awesome 7th-8th inning guy. Come in late in the game and not being scared to max out throwing 97-98 heat with his nasty secondary stuff and then CJ for the 9th. You can throw Loup out for the 7th if need be. Or have Sanchez for the 7th and Loup for the 8th, splitting up Sanchez CJ with a lefty.

He's obviously a starter but for now if he gets called up the BP would be the obvious call to get his feet wet.

Thanks for the good news. I was wondering what happened on his last start. I mean he was walking many guys and than all of a sudden, he has a start when you see completely different command. Like the quick improvements.
I think it is a strong chance he will get a look in the majors. In situations where he isn't put in the fire. As you mentioned 7th inning would be ideal

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Agreed. Finding a guy who can play OF like a Marlon Byrd type guy. Can play all 3 OF especially CF so you can sit Rasmus against lefties if need be and also DH.

The Phillies are out of contention so they could be willing to deal the him. He is signed for next year but could still make a good 4th OF option and split time with Gose in CF if Rasmus prices himself out of Toronto.

I was just going to suggest Byrd, he'd be perfect. Then again, Ruben Amaro is about the most stubborn GM in baseball when it comes to waiving the white flag on a season.

Wouldn't be expecting much in terms of offense playing that cavern the A's call a stadium.

Tonight: Dickey: (6-7, 4.24 ERA) Vs. Gray (7-3, 3.20 ERA)

Tomorrow: Stroman (4-2, 2.45 ERA in last 2 starts) Vs. Milone (6-3, 3.79 ERA)

Saturday: Buehrle (10-5, 2.54 ERA) Vs. Kazmir (9-3, 2.61 ERA)

Sunday: Hutch (6-6, 3.81 ERA) Vs. Mills (1-1, 4.11 ERA)

I'm still shocked Kazmir has been as good as he has been. He looked cooked just a couple years ago. It's not often that a guy regains velocity and becomes arguably better than he was before.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Just came across a funny stat after looking at my fantasy team and shows the impact of walks and homeruns. Bautista the last 14 days (injury time split two sample sizes) he has a .176 avg and a .946 OPS.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Yes. He's been much much better. He has more of a downward plane, he's keeping the ball down and more accurate. Before he was flying open and missing off the plate with his fastball.

He could be an awesome 7th-8th inning guy. Come in late in the game and not being scared to max out throwing 97-98 heat with his nasty secondary stuff and then CJ for the 9th. You can throw Loup out for the 7th if need be. Or have Sanchez for the 7th and Loup for the 8th, splitting up Sanchez CJ with a lefty.

He's obviously a starter but for now if he gets called up the BP would be the obvious call to get his feet wet.

I think Sanchez will be up after 2-3 more starts in a bullpen role, similar to Stroman.

I think ideally if things keep going well for the team, Sanchez is up for bullpen duty, gets his feet wet and then keeps starting for Buffalo. His best use might be as a spot starter for us down the stretch in August and September. If he can come in and make quality starts and give extra rest for our starters (specifically Stroman and Hutch) that could be huge come playoff time.

And you never know, maybe he has a Stroman type impact and is so good were pencilling him in for October

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Just came across a funny stat after looking at my fantasy team and shows the impact of walks and homeruns. Bautista the last 14 days (injury time split two sample sizes) he has a .176 avg and a .946 OPS.

That's crazy

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Downs is about to be granted his unconditional release from the white sox. Hmmmmmm. I know he's struggled badly this year but he really could be worth the risk now

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I think Sanchez will be up after 2-3 more starts in a bullpen role, similar to Stroman.

I think ideally if things keep going well for the team, Sanchez is up for bullpen duty, gets his feet wet and then keeps starting for Buffalo. His best use might be as a spot starter for us down the stretch in August and September. If he can come in and make quality starts and give extra rest for our starters (specifically Stroman and Hutch) that could be huge come playoff time.

And you never know, maybe he has a Stroman type impact and is so good were pencilling him in for October

I'd love if he could bump Dickey out of the rotation come October if we make the playoffs, like you said come in and have a a Stroman effect and force the team to use him. Sanchez's stuff compared to both Dickey and Happ blows both of them out of the water.

Buerhle
Stroman
Hutch
Sanchez

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I was just going to suggest Byrd, he'd be perfect. Then again, Ruben Amaro is about the most stubborn GM in baseball when it comes to waiving the white flag on a season.

I'm still shocked Kazmir has been as good as he has been. He looked cooked just a couple years ago. It's not often that a guy regains velocity and becomes arguably better than he was before.

Part of it is pitching in Oakland. Even then though, Kazmir wasn't exactly as good even in his prime.

I'm convinced Billy Beane is a witchdoctor or a sorcerer at this point. Picked up Pomeranz (albeit he was pitching probably the worst park to be in as a young developing pitcher prior) who turns decent player, then Chavez. He gave Bartlolo Colon another shot, to which he responded by returning to his ace form. And now apparently Kazmir.

It's like Oakland is the recycling plant of baseball.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Part of it is pitching in Oakland. Even then though, Kazmir wasn't exactly as good even in his prime.

I'm convinced Billy Beane is a witchdoctor or a sorcerer at this point. Picked up Pomeranz (albeit he was pitching probably the worst park to be in as a young developing pitcher prior) who turns decent player, then Chavez. He gave Bartlolo Colon another shot, to which he responded by returning to his ace form. And now apparently Kazmir.

It's like Oakland is the recycling plant of baseball.

I realized Billy Beane was a mortal when he signed Johnson to that ugly deal

But yeah, they are either incredible at player evaluation or have a horseshoe up their ass (but probably both)

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Ugly deal, yes, but before coming to the A's, Johnson was regarded as one of the better closers in baseball. It just so happened he flamed out after signing that.

Then again, it's probably not the smartest move to give a closer so much money and term. That position can change as often as the weather.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
They turned Josh Donaldson and Brandon Moss into all-stars, and converted first baseman Sean Doolittle into an elite bullpen arm (to be fair he was a pitcher/hitter in college).

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

How is that even possible?

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Haven't followed Sanchez for some time, but I know he had a good start last time out. Also am seeing posts that they changed his arm slot. Was that after he he had the bad beginning on his first 3 starts?

His issue has seemed to be control not his stuff. Seems to be getting his control in check. I've been so pleased with Stroman. He was pretty bad out of the BP but killing it as a starter

Yeah. These west coast trips are usually the stuff of nightmares. .

.500 or slightly around there (be it a game above or below) i enough for me. Just don't blow up entirely, especially with the O's being right there.

Also how bout them Yankees? Under 500 for the first time in what feels like eons.

5 or 6 wins out of 10 here is huge. Angels and As (along with the Brewers) are some of the best on baseball. Then play in Tampa where we suck.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Ugly deal, yes, but before coming to the A's, Johnson was regarded as one of the better closers in baseball. It just so happened he flamed out after signing that.

Then again, it's probably not the smartest move to give a closer so much money and term. That position can change as often as the weather.

Johnson was breaking down and faltering before the trade.

and the biggest thing is that giving up assets for a big money, big "name" closer is about the most un-Beane like move possible. There's like an entire chapter of Moneyball dedicated to his philosophy that reliever volatility makes paying for a name closer a foolish move, and that the smartest thing to do is take a low-value pitcher, plunk him into the 9th inning role, have him succeed for a while, then flip him for a big return from a team that overvalues the closer role.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
ridiculous slugging %

nah he has a .176/.417/.529 slash line in his last 14 days. 2 home runs, 28% BB rate, .077 BABIP.

In that same time span (double the PAs though) EE has 6 home runs, .559 wOBA, 263 wRC+, and a .404/.509/.830 slash line. Only person that comes close to that rate in the last 14 days is Devin Mesoraco which is surprisingly pretty dead even with EE (.342/.457/.895, .557 wOBA, 266 wRC+).

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Chris Cotillo @ChrisCotillo
Follow
Sources: Jeff Francoeur, who is at AAA with #Padres, could be on the move soon. #BlueJays a possible fit.

It beats having Mastroianni on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad