Blue Jays Discussion: M*A*S*H: Toronto edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
The Rays made 9.5 games look like nothing in the matter of a month a couple years ago, which culminated in the greatest and most dramatic day in baseball history. The way everything played out that day will never ever even come close to being repeated in our lifetimes. Like, the planets and all their respective moons had to have aligned on that day.

Still, 9.5 games is very hard to make up. I'm not too worried about them or the Red Sox at this point in time.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The Rays made 9.5 games look like nothing in the matter of a month a couple years ago, which culminated in the greatest and most dramatic day in baseball history. The way everything played out that day will never ever even come close to being repeated in our lifetimes. Like, the planets and all their respective moons had to have aligned on that day.

Still, 9.5 games is very hard to make up. I'm not too worried about them or the Red Sox at this point in time.

49ded2238ba4eaaca94bf22f509c13db3e7699d8a1934664cd942a491650b05f.jpg

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Yeah 9.5 games back is a huge climb especially now that we're in July. in April or May you still have a shot but once you hit July and you're almost double digit games out...extremely hard to get over that. They have to jump 3 other teams first.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Problem is as in my previous post just under yours is that Tampa is now holding off trades because their on a little run right now. Unless they start to slow down they may not go into sell mode.

They'd be idiotic not to make any moves..Price could fetch them a fortune. Plus it gives a team 2 playoff runs with him. If they wait until the winter to move him his value will take a hit because then the team only has 1 season with him before discussing if he wants to re-sign. TB would be very wise to move him now and get an absolute fortune for him. He's never pitched this well, he's striking almost 10-11 batters out per game which is ridiculous and his walk/9ip is incredible. I'd laugh my ass off if they think this little run will do anything. Trade him now get a ton back and play out the year.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Not even using hindsight, did anyone find the Brewers strategy at the end odd? I get walking Melky to face Gose, even though you know he's going to bunt. The next couple batters are easier outs. But by walking Melky you know you're likely facing EE in the inning. With the speed on second, a single has a good shot to win anyways, why did they even pitch to him? Especially with a 3-1 count. Just seemed odd. Navarro might have still won it but I'd take my odds with Navarro way before Edwin.

They definitely would have walked him if Gose got his bunt down properly though so thanks for the **** up Gose :nod:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Not even using hindsight, did anyone find the Brewers strategy at the end odd? I get walking Melky to face Gose, even though you know he's going to bunt. The next couple batters are easier outs. But by walking Melky you know you're likely facing EE in the inning. With the speed on second, a single has a good shot to win anyways, why did they even pitch to him? Especially with a 3-1 count. Just seemed odd. Navarro might have still won it but I'd take my odds with Navarro way before Edwin.

They definitely would have walked him if Gose got his bunt down properly though so thanks for the **** up Gose :nod:

I said the same thing to my uncle on our way back from the game. I said "it's actually a good thing that Gose didn't get his bunt down cause then they would'v just walked Edwin." LOL It was more tongue in cheek..(went on to bash Gose on his lack of bunting ability). I found it really strange too that they pitched to him 3-1 with a base open. I would've just walked him and faced Navarro. And boy I'll tell you I sat 20 rows from home plate and that pitch was crushed!! he hung that right in Edwin's wheel house, it was gone when it left the bat, no doubter. Edwin's power is ridiculous. Also Cabrera is such a good hitter, he was nailing everything Peralta was throwing up there, such a professional hitter, he has a game plan and sticks with it. Also Rasmus must be one of the dumbest players in the game, when is he going to learn to lay off any off-speed stuff deep in the count. You can pretty much guess that he's going to strike out on a curve or a slider in the dirt with 2 strikes. It happens all the time. He did it 3 times yesterday, there is no way he's playing in Oakland. Three lefties for the A's in the series, there is no way he should be getting any at bats. He'll get carved up.

Also the ump was an ******* the whole game, some terrible calls all game.

Last edited:

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I think there needs to be one change made to the way Gibby has his platoons.

Yesterday he pinch it for Lind with Mastrianni in the 7th. I get Lind hits righties better but your bringing in a AAA scrub to pinch hit with runners on base.

I can see sitting Lind vs guys like Price, Lester and other good lefty starters but in that situation the guy they brought in is not a flame thrower why not give Lind a chance with runners in scoring position.

I think too often Gibby rely's on the matchup when looking ahead odds are that if the game was still tied Lind would get up again and mostly likely vs a RH.

I would rather have Lind vs that lefty in the 7th than Mastrianni vs a RH in the 9th

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013

I don't think they're a legit threat, but I also think this history makes it less likely they'll throw in the towel before the absolute last minute. That's why I don't think we'll see any dumping players by them until closer to the deadline.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Yesterday he pinch it for Lind with Mastrianni in the 7th. I get Lind hits righties better but your bringing in a AAA scrub to pinch hit with runners on base.

I can see sitting Lind vs guys like Price, Lester and other good lefty starters but in that situation the guy they brought in is not a flame thrower why not give Lind a chance with runners in scoring position.

I think too often Gibby rely's on the matchup when looking ahead odds are that if the game was still tied Lind would get up again and mostly likely vs a RH.

I would rather have Lind vs that lefty in the 7th than Mastrianni vs a RH in the 9th

I was not a fan of the move either. Not so much the idea of pulling Lind against the lefty, but moreso for whom he was pulled for. It kind of speaks to the importance of acquiring a right handed lefty masher for the bench for the stretch run.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I was not a fan of the move either. Not so much the idea of pulling Lind against the lefty, but moreso for whom he was pulled for. It kind of speaks to the importance of acquiring a right handed lefty masher for the bench for the stretch run.

Agreed. Finding a guy who can play OF like a Marlon Byrd type guy. Can play all 3 OF especially CF so you can sit Rasmus against lefties if need be and also DH.

The Phillies are out of contention so they could be willing to deal the him. He is signed for next year but could still make a good 4th OF option and split time with Gose in CF if Rasmus prices himself out of Toronto.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Pat Hentgen just said on the fan that he believes Sanchez can come up and help the team right now. He mentioned the bullpen.
We should probably give him another 3-4 starts in AAA to see if the command with the new arm slot is maintained. I would rather not rush someone who has had such command issues in the past and risk him reverting to his previous mechanics.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

Not just that but if the pinch hit goes unsuccessful we have Gose and a scrub hitting 3-4. Almost cost us in the 9th.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
This long road trip out West is usually what sinks the Jays, so hopefully they are prepared to scratch and claw their way through these two tough series (as well as in Tampa right after). Not much room for error as Baltimore keeps winning and a slip up here may not only mean the loss of the division lead, but a playoff spot as well as they'd fall out of the Wild Card. Can't be going 3 and 7 over the next 10 days.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Pat Hentgen just said on the fan that he believes Sanchez can come up and help the team right now. He mentioned the bullpen.

AA said the same thing on PTS yesterday. Wasn't specific in regards to pen/rotation, but he said they'll evaluate him after a few more starts. "He wasn't on our radar a month ago but he is now".

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Agreed. Finding a guy who can play OF like a Marlon Byrd type guy. Can play all 3 OF especially CF so you can sit Rasmus against lefties if need be and also DH.

The Phillies are out of contention so they could be willing to deal the him. He is signed for next year but could still make a good 4th OF option and split time with Gose in CF if Rasmus prices himself out of Toronto.

That's a hell of a find, Ryno. He'd fit well. Contract's not nuclear, and he mashes lefties.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
We should probably give him another 3-4 starts in AAA to see if the command with the new arm slot is maintained. I would rather not rush someone who has had such command issues in the past and risk him reverting to his previous mechanics.

I can't see why they wouldn't leave him down there for at least three more starts. I'm with you, you want to get some consistency with the arm slot.

AA said the same thing on PTS yesterday. Wasn't specific in regards to pen/rotation, but he said they'll evaluate him after a few more starts. "He wasn't on our radar a month ago but he is now".

Yep. Heard that live. He could be blowing smoke (i.e. just trying to raise his value), but they do seem all systems go with him being up this year.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Wouldn't be expecting much in terms of offense playing that cavern the A's call a stadium.

Tonight: Dickey: (6-7, 4.24 ERA) Vs. Gray (7-3, 3.20 ERA)

Tomorrow: Stroman (4-2, 2.45 ERA in last 2 starts) Vs. Milone (6-3, 3.79 ERA)

Saturday: Buehrle (10-5, 2.54 ERA) Vs. Kazmir (9-3, 2.61 ERA)

Sunday: Hutch (6-6, 3.81 ERA) Vs. Mills (1-1, 4.11 ERA)

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Wouldn't be expecting much in terms of offense playing that cavern the A's call a stadium.

If Dickey can somehow pitch well and get a win we're looking pretty good with the meat of our rotation set to go the rest of the series.

I'll take a split either way, not asking for too much here. If we can go 5-5 or even 6-4 on this trip I'll be happy.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Yeah. These west coast trips are usually the stuff of nightmares. .

.500 or slightly around there (be it a game above or below) i enough for me. Just don't blow up entirely, especially with the O's being right there.

Also how bout them Yankees? Under 500 for the first time in what feels like eons.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Yeah. These west coast trips are usually the stuff of nightmares. .

.500 or slightly around there (be it a game above or below) i enough for me. Just don't blow up entirely, especially with the O's being right there.

Also how bout them Yankees? Under 500 for the first time in what feels like eons.

Imagine where they would be without Tanaka. This division is all about us and the Orioles, the Yankees don't have the pitching to keep up, and their roster is filled with a bunch of old-timers. I wonder how much weight Sabathia has put on during his rehab.

mikebel111*

Haven't followed Sanchez for some time, but I know he had a good start last time out. Also am seeing posts that they changed his arm slot. Was that after he he had the bad beginning on his first 3 starts?

jcollins

BJ Elitist/Hipster
May 13, 2009

Dickey could benefit from that cavern

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Haven't followed Sanchez for some time, but I know he had a good start last time out. Also am seeing posts that they changed his arm slot. Was that after he he had the bad beginning on his first 3 starts?

Yes. He's been much much better. He has more of a downward plane, he's keeping the ball down and more accurate. Before he was flying open and missing off the plate with his fastball.

He could be an awesome 7th-8th inning guy. Come in late in the game and not being scared to max out throwing 97-98 heat with his nasty secondary stuff and then CJ for the 9th. You can throw Loup out for the 7th if need be. Or have Sanchez for the 7th and Loup for the 8th, splitting up Sanchez CJ with a lefty.

He's obviously a starter but for now if he gets called up the BP would be the obvious call to get his feet wet.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Imagine where they would be without Tanaka.

I was thinking the same thing.

I know hindsight is always perfect vision, but just imagine if the Jays had blown the budget and went and signed Tanaka in the off season.

They would have had the top of the rotation starter they need and he would have cost cash only and there would be no discussion of trading Hutch/Stroman/Sanchez/Norris for a Price of Shields.

And they essentially would have crippled the competitive chances of a division rival.

Didn't happen, but it's fun to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad