Confirmed with Link: Lyubushkin to ANA for MIN 2025 4th

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
You're digging into a mole hill preparing to die on it?

Teams rarely balance out their prospects with like for like F <-> D trades. That just isn't a common practice. You pick BPA and hope the chips fall where you need them to.
Personally, I agree with BPA, but then you have to use UFA and trade periods to fill gaps and balance out the roster, including the depth. When the management doesn't show they can do that, then you start defaulting to needing to draft for need (a lesser plan).

They did some work bringing in Cliffton and Johnson into the 5-7 group, but we still are a top 4 dman short, and until we get one the whole lower half of the dcorp will be playing above station, and injuries will quickly exacerbate that. Trade Joker and get a top 4 guy and it starts looking more legit. Trade Bryson and bring in another near NHL developing dman and you have a real dcorp.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Personally, I agree with BPA, but then you have to use UFA and trade periods to fill gaps and balance out the roster, including the depth. When the management doesn't show they can do that, then you start defaulting to needing to draft for need (a lesser plan).

They did some work bringing in Cliffton and Johnson into the 5-7 group, but we still are a top 4 dman short, and until we get one the whole lower half of the dcorp will be playing above station, and injuries will quickly exacerbate that. Trade Joker and get a top 4 guy and it starts looking more legit. Trade Bryson and bring in another near NHL developing dman and you have a real dcorp.

No one is going to trade them a near NHL developing Dman. Not without giving up something which doesn't make sense.

You solutions are essential magical thinking. "Just trade someone Jokiharju for a better player", They traded Bloom for Stillman, who's their #7. If you want a #8 they're all going to look like something between Stillman and Bryson.

If you want a 'legit' prospect to fill that #8 you're gonna pay through the nose.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Trade Bryson and bring in another near NHL developing dman and you have a real dcorp.
Bryson isn't worth anything in a trade. A legit NHL 3rd pairing Dman in Boosh just went for a 4th in 2 years. A guy who's best as a 7/8? Most teams have one or two of those.

And a "near NHL developing Dman" is usually used as a part of a bigger deal (Meier, PLD, Fiala etc).....they're very, very, very rarely dealt for on their own and even more rarely for a forward of the same ilk.

What you're asking for/demanding just isn't done in today's NHL; it's just not realistic.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I have zero issue with this trade, but for people calling Bryson and Clague good depth? Bryson and Clague are NOT NHL defenseman. They are emergency measures at best.

Which is why they will be in the AHL. You want the Sabres to roster legit NHLers as their number 8 and 9? Why would the players agree to that. It was reported Boosh wasn’t happy with his relegation on the depth chart, obviously.

Reactions: HOOats and Jacob582

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
This trade combined with the Stillman trade is an example of the small upgrades Adams has been making that I really like. I think he'll look to continue trading like this using our organizational asset depth but at a more significant impact.

As far as our depth chart based on league-wide trade value, Stillman seems a clear upgrade over a free UFA Boosh. Vs Boosh traded for a 4th, Stillman was traded 10/22 for a 4C and a 2nd then 2/23 for Josh Bloom, a D+2 prospect who is developing well and has held his 3rd round (#95) value. It's the franchise mode in me, but I love trading someone we signed for free 12 months ago + Bloom for Stillman + a 4th.

Not to overrate Stillman too much, although I do like him, but this year's 6-8 with him, CC, and EJ is better at every spot than last year's 4-6. That's not an insignificant improvement. It should impart some much-needed calm relative to last year's sketchy corps when the grind of the season starts to wreak havoc and the all-too-familiar losing streaks threaten our points pace. That stability was the most effective area to target for improvement per dollar/asset spent this off-season imo.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad