Proposal: Lynyrd Skinner: BUF + FLA

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Skinner sucks and Bob sucks. I’ll take a 3rd line scorer over a AHL caliber goalie

Depending what happens with his trajectory I thjnk the most likely outcome is that Bob gets traded with 2 years with 50 percent retention: if he is a solid starter, 5M for 2 years isn’t bad. For the Panthers it would be cheaper than buyout and the money can be reallocated to Knight or whoever our goalie is

Knight and Levi

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
To Buffalo: Bobrovsky

To Florida: Skinner

Buffalo fill their need for a goaltender while dumping Skinner's contract

Florida get an offensive forward while dumping Bobrovsky's contract. The thinking being they would re-sign Driedger after the expansion draft and roll with him and Knight for the next few seasons
Florida kindly asks you if you were dropped on your head. In no realm would this happen. It would take skinner plus a 1rst to even get this going. Skinner may be the worst contract in the NHL right now.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Florida kindly asks you if you were dropped on your head. In no realm would this happen. It would take skinner plus a 1rst to even get this going. Skinner may be the worst contract in the NHL right now.
Skinner plus a top 5 pick? Are you kidding? I get Skinners contract sucks but we aren't talking Patrick Roy here lol

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Skinner sucks and Bob sucks. I’ll take a 3rd line scorer over a AHL caliber goalie
You calling yourself “Unbiased Fan” is like Eugene melnyk calling himself a wild spender

Bob is at league average save % (.908) and has been around this range the last 3 years (.900 and .913 previous). Unless you are going to argue 1/2 of the goalies in the league are “AHL caliber”

Bob is an overpaid 1A/1B. A trade for skinner might make sense if he is blocking Knight, but I don’t think we are at that point yet, and Buffalo would have to add

Reactions: cowboy82nd

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Skinner plus a top 5 pick? Are you kidding? I get Skinners contract sucks but we aren't talking Patrick Roy here lol
Doesn't matter .....no one is taking that skinner contract unless its a massive overpayment. This isn't the way Buffalo gets a goalie.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Both are terrible contracts but I would think of the 2 it would be Skinner who would rebound on a different team.

Bob getting outplayed by a 26 year old who played 15 games prior to this season is pretty terrible. I think Bob is unfortunately cooked.
Actually Bobrovsky's played pretty well this season. I like Driedger, and wish we could keep him. But that's a separate issue to how Bob's played this season.

Reactions: Ratsreign

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Doesn't matter .....no one is taking that skinner contract unless its a massive overpayment. This isn't the way Buffalo gets a goalie.
Your right nobody is going to take Skinners contract.We will resign Ullmark and get another goalie in free agency

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Your right nobody is going to take Skinners contract.We will resign Ullmark and get another goalie in free agency

Setting aside this proposal, how likely is re-signing Ullmark? Haven't followed the situation at all so was curious if there was any news/words coming out of the Sabres or Ullmark.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
If they have any brains they’ll be making a play for Driedger this offseason

Or we go for both.

Although personally I’d prefer to go for someone who has a bigger track record. Like Raanta or Bernier or Mrazek.

Now that I think about it, I would prefer Bernier if we draft Beniers. Just to keep Rob Ray confused like we have with Ristolainen and Ruotsalainen.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Sorry. but you, being a sabres fan, have no choice but to back him on the main board and say 31 other fan bases are wrong(there are now 31 fan bases). But when non-sabres fans swing by and lurk on he sabres board, there is a sense of hatred towards the player
yeah except you know his still elite skating skills and proven analytics literally showing he's been snakebitten this year showing he's generating a lot of high quality chances.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Or we go for both.

Although personally I’d prefer to go for someone who has a bigger track record. Like Raanta or Bernier or Mrazek.

Now that I think about it, I would prefer Bernier if we draft Beniers. Just to keep Rob Ray confused like we have with Ristolainen and Ruotsalainen.
Lollol who’s on first, rayzer?
I was meaning in addition to re-signing Ullmark, Driedger and Ullmark might be a solid tandem.
I’m hoping most teams have the same hesitancy due to Driedger’s limited track record, and Driedger ends up re-signing w/FL for a year (or two) while Knight starts for AHL team.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I was meaning in addition to re-signing Ullmark, Driedger and Ullmark might be a solid tandem.
I’m hoping most teams have the same hesitancy due to Driedger’s limited track record, and Driedger ends up re-signing w/FL for a year (or two) while Knight starts for AHL team.

Fair enough. I mean if he wants around the same amount that we’re paying Carter Hutton, that’s fine. But if he wants $4M+, I wouldn’t do that.

But yea, that would be an ideal scenario for the Panthers.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
You calling yourself “Unbiased Fan” is like Eugene melnyk calling himself a wild spender
Bob is at league average save % (.908) and has been around this range the last 3 years (.900 and .913 previous). Unless you are going to argue 1/2 of the goalies in the league are “AHL caliber”
Bob is an overpaid 1A/1B. A trade for skinner might make sense if he is blocking Knight, but I don’t think we are at that point yet, and Buffalo would have to add
That's closer to 40th than average. Bob is playing like a good backup. Last year he was AHL level, but he's been better this season.
I don't see the point in arguing about adding, it's obviously not a trade about value. It would be about ease of buyout/opening a roster spot (FLA) vs one less year (BUF).

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
To Buffalo: Bobrovsky

To Florida: Skinner

Buffalo fill their need for a goaltender while dumping Skinner's contract

Florida get an offensive forward while dumping Bobrovsky's contract. The thinking being they would re-sign Driedger after the expansion draft and roll with him and Knight for the next few seasons
Bobrovsky > > Skinner, Noway Florida makes that deal.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Let's say Florida is able to re-sign Driedger for 4 years at 4 million per...

Are the Panthers better off with:

Skinner @ 9 million
Driedger @ 4 million
Knight @ 925k

Or losing Driedger for nothing and going with...

Bobrovsky @ 10 million
Free Agent Forward @ 3.75 million
Knight @ 925k

Personally, I'd prefer the Skinner and Driedger option...

Why does it have to be one or the other ? Maybe Florida pays Seattle to take another player .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Bad deal for the Panthers.

The biggest problem is you are starting the trade based upon contracts and not actual play. Skinner is on 9 mill for 6 more years after this one. Bobs on 10 for 5. Bob has actually looked good while Skinner has looked liked an ECHL player some nights.

Calling skinner and offensive player after the last 2 season--it a bit of a stretch.

If the Panthers want to move Bob, if they keep say 35 to 50%--they could get a very good return. Same can not be said for Skinner

As an Oiler fan I would be interested in Bob if the Panthers retained 35% and took Koskinen or Neal prefer it to be Neal but highly doubt Florida would take him if they are retaining .

I am pretty good with the way contracts work but I wondering if Florida retains would that portion of his salary be subject to Florida taxes or would it be subject to the taxes of where he was traded .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

I was hoping Edmonton would go after these 2 guys . I read Ullmark is going to test UFA and Edmonton could trade for Driedger before the expansion draft and leave Koskinen exposed

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Skinner's problem started before he joined the Sabres. So to say he is missing Eichel is ignoring the type of player Skinner has always been. Hockey has changed, while Skinner is not that old, his play does now work in how the game is now played. We just need to look at the comments in his signing thread--WOW was what many people were saying

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Well that's the same problem with a lot of posts in this thread. A lot of people are misinformed about Bobrovsky's play this season.

Nah I think a lot of people are looking at his stats and thinking how terrible that would be for their own team. Then they look at his teammates who are performing so much better than him. A 2.83 and a .908 while having a 10 mill cap hit is trash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad