GDT: LXX | "Dealing With The Devil" | Oilers vs. Devils | 3.13.19 | 7:30PM | SN1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
I have a bad feeling about Schneider, but otherwise looks like a good opportunity for a W. I hope the Oil can get up on them early.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Good article here. We never got any help last night but I'm staying optimistic. Saturdays game against Arizona is a MUST and hopefully not an OT game. Very tough road trip I must say. If the Oilers could get 5 outta 6 points, Edmonton goes crazy.

The Race

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Wow. NJ's lineup makes ours look like a stanley cup contender.

One thing to think it, but I'd rather not state it. Devils sure are diminished through injuries and not a very appealing looking squad. That said Palmeiri always takes a particular dislike to the Oilers and Greene and Severson are at least a solid a D pair as anything we got.

The reality is the Oilers are having problems and close games and requiring luck against any opponent. As we saw with the Rangers, a nondescript lineup that outplayed us and outworked us, we have a very fragile group here, and very intermittent adherence to details.

As per the lines I'm no Chiasson fan, but what has he done to be in this doghouse?

My lord, that is awful. Come in as a PTO, win a spot over Scotty Upshall (only due to Upshall injury and faiiing medical tests) Don't even dress the first 6 games. Score 20 goals anyways and have a career year and next thing you know you blink and you're playing with Colby Cave and scoreless Rieder and wondering if you're still in the NHL anymore. Crap. This is what we do to players that seem to try hard and want to be here. We make them regret it.

Well, hopefully we play a lot more clubs that are trying to tank.

Last edited:
Reactions: RegDunlop

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
First page of the GDT and we have c** jokes and pictures of Swedish meatballs.

Frankly, it's kind of a pick-me-up compared to the obituary days.

Last edited:

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
The Oilers are susceptible to being outworked though and NJ is a team full of players looking for NHL jobs.
They will work hard and could give the Oilers some trouble.

The Oilers dont have the talent of a San Jose or Calgary to expect a blowout IMO.

Exactly, plus Devils will be full of piss and vinegar after getting embarrassed in the third last night. This smells like the Oilers getting surprised in the first period and having to claw back.

Reactions: guymez

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
This is one of the 4 supposed to be "auto-wins" of the next 9 games for the Oilers. Just get it done!

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
I have to tell you, "auto-win" is not a term I would use to describe any of our games.

If we want to make the playoffs we cant lose this game. You are right, nothing is an auto-win in the NHL for any team, but we can afford what? 2 more losses this year without pretty much losing all playoff hopes... our biggest challenge is coming up CBJ + VEGAS + ARIZONA + ST LOUIS.. and they are all in a row. I'd say we can take one loss in that window of games and it cant be against Arizona. If we lost to NJ tonight then we would have to win all 4.

New Jersey W
Arizona MUST WIN
Vegas
St. Louis
CBJ
Ottawa W
Kings W
Dallas MUST WIN
Anaheim W

We need to basically go 8-1-0 here to leave a cushion for our next 4 games allowing us to lose once more. I have penciled in the "Auto-Wins" and the one loss we take cant be against Arizona or Dallas. I'm gazing into the future and just saying if we want to make the playoffs we need to follow the formula above... and those are the only 4 games I'm comfortable putting a W beside it doesn't mean we are going to succeed but this is just a visual picture of what needs to be accomplished. This will be no easy task.

Last 4 games:

Vegas
Colorado
MUST WIN
San Jose
Calgary

Making it past part 1 of my plan above still leaves us with quite the challenge considering we are only budgeted 1 loss against the 4 teams above.

We could of course handle 4 losses so long as they are ALL in overtime as we get a point.

But.. as you can see.. losing to a team like New Jersey would significantly decrease our chances of making the playoffs as that's one less loss we can take against the much superior teams we have to play before the end of the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cypress

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
Potential trap game.

-NJ pissed about letting in 6 goals in the 3rd last night
- Oilers are 'due' for a loss, possibly looking past this at the showdown vs. Yotes
- Cory Schneider hasn't been great however can still steal a game posting a .925, .944 and .971 in 3 of his last 4 games started

Reactions: McFuhryous

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
If we want to make the playoffs we cant lose this game. You are right, nothing is an auto-win in the NHL for any team, but we can afford what? 2 more losses this year without pretty much losing all playoff hopes... our biggest challenge is coming up CBJ + VEGAS + ARIZONA + ST LOUIS.. and they are all in a row. I'd say we can take one loss in that window of games and it cant be against Arizona. If we lost to NJ tonight then we would have to win all 4.

They just need to win hockey games. That's what the team is in control of.

If they lose to a team that has nothing to play for, it's either because they don't have the heart, or they simply aren't good enough.

It's a very very long shot to make the playoffs. My highest realistic hopes are that they make for some very meaningful games late in the season, and that the team gains experience they can take with them into next year and beyond.

All of these games are must-win.

Reactions: Aerrol

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
They just need to win hockey games. That's what the team is in control of.

If they lose to a team that has nothing to play for, it's either because they don't have the heart, or they simply aren't good enough.

It's a very very long shot to make the playoffs. My highest realistic hopes are that they make for some very meaningful games late in the season, and that the team gains experience they can take with them into next year and beyond.

All of these games are must-win.

Yep and I can pretty much guarantee that the games wont be meaningful much longer if we lose to NJ tonight. All I did was say the exact same thing you just did.. except I broke it down into something visual.. if you can only lose 2 games for the rest of the season then yeah every game is a must win. But if we are gonna lose 2 games then if you want the best odds... don't have one of them be against any of the teams with a W beside them... or a MUST WIN beside them.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad