LW Taro Hirose (2014 undrafted; signed by DET)

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
Doesn't do a lot for me, personally...not that I've studied him, because he just slightly off my radar (he's not draft eligible, of course). Smart player, ok skill level, savvy passer, fine skater...but there's not a lot of next level skill there. I don't think he has the skill level that can beat players one on one at the next level...I think it's just open-space skill, I think he has some trouble maintaining control of the puck outside the plane of his feet or his shoulders...I think he's a little passive on a lot of plays too, but maybe that changes when he realizes there's only 7 shifts for him in a night instead of 15...

I wish him well, it's a found wallet for Detroit...whether the former owner cancelled the credit cards or not is another story...

What are you on about? You salty the Can’tnadiens didn’t pick him up.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The majority of these players are going to be career AHLers. The only reason the majority of these guys get signed and the CIS ones don’t is because the NCAA players have an “unknown” aspect to them. Most of the CIS players, have been watched since they were 16, their potential is basically known, where as the NCAA guys are mostly late bloomers. You don’t have to look very far to find examples of CIS players that are just as good as a lot of these hyped up NCAA prospects.

Its been mentioned already but thats false. Wheres the list of CIS players that even make the AHL? Most of these players were CHL players who werent good enough to even get a minor league contract. The CIS level of play is well below the NCAA. The highly rated NCAA prospects generally become an NHL player. There is no such thing as a highly rated CIS prospect

As for Hirose, he looks surprisingly better than what I expected and has been rewarded with a couple points. I could see him being a 50 point guy that gets a lot of his points on the PP

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Loved this guy in the BCHL, glad he's doing well so far with the Red Wings.
He genuinely looks like he could be a decent middle 6 scoring guy. The skill and most importantly game sense is there, just small and weak compared to NHLers. I can see him carving out a niche secondary scoring career like Hudler or Versteeg

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Not the most in depth post but I definitely noticed him tonight when watching the Wings. Also I rooted for the wings haha. Thanks for help securing Ottawa's pick as top 4!

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Not the most in depth post but I definitely noticed him tonight when watching the Wings. Also I rooted for the wings haha. Thanks for help securing Ottawa's pick as top 4!

giphy.gif

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
He genuinely looks like he could be a decent middle 6 scoring guy. The skill and most importantly game sense is there, just small and weak compared to NHLers. I can see him carving out a niche secondary scoring career like Hudler or Versteeg

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking too. Probably could have a few 50-60 point seasons at his peak or with the right linemates but will probably be a consistent 30-45 secondary scorer.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Hard to get a read on him just from 4 games but thats what I'm getting from him too. You can definitely notice him out there at the NHL level. Whether its just a hot streak or hes legit I'm not ready to say but he looks dangerous there when he ha the puck. Hes made a lot of really nice passes that lead to scoring chances

Reactions: avsfan09

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Noticeable difference between his talent and the other guy they signed, Kuffner, who looks like an AHLer. Hirose's skating leaves something to be desired but the hands and hockey sense are quite good.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Hard to get a read on him just from 4 games but thats what I'm getting from him too. You can definitely notice him out there at the NHL level. Whether its just a hot streak or hes legit I'm not ready to say but he looks dangerous there when he ha the puck. Hes made a lot of really nice passes that lead to scoring chances

I've been watching him since he was playing prep hockey in Canada, he's always known who he is as a player -- facilitator, playmaker, smart, decisive. I think that's a rare quality to know yourself as a young player so early and he's built out his game over the years to where he can be a secondary scoring asset.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Noticeable difference between his talent and the other guy they signed, Kuffner, who looks like an AHLer. Hirose's skating leaves something to be desired but the hands and hockey sense are quite good.
I do not think it is an exaggeration to think he may have the highest hockey IQ out of all our forwards outside of Vanek’s geriatric ass. Most of the Wings good players currently rely on athletisism and hard skills.

I seriously doubt many other players on the roster would have read his two assists off forced turnovers as well as he did

Christien

May 1, 2010
He's been really good. Hard to project how good he'll be for us in the future with such a small sample size, but his hands and hockey sense are really standing out.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Its not like he is a super small or anything, he is what? 5 10? 5 11? - 165,170 lbs

Just looking at this stats wisely, he has been 1.00-1.80 ppg where ever he has played.
(prior to NHL)

1.80 ppg in the NAMHL (20 games)
1.50 ppg in the CSSHL (66 games)
1.30 ppg in the MPHL (30 games)
1.21 ppg in the AMBHL (33 games)
1.10 ppg in the NCAA (110 games)
1.10 ppg in the BCHL (120 games)
1.00 ppg in the Alberta Cup (5 games)

From his first steps in the NHL, he looked amazing and produced as well
7 points in 10 games

- Was CSSHL's MVP (prep division) and MPHL (1st) all-star in his draft year,
(sure not a media sexy,nor higher tier junior program's, but looking
at players who have played in the CSSHL & MPHL.... sure as much younger
but still)

- Went to play to the BCHL for a team that personally ive never heard of (Salmon Arm Silverbacks)
team full of nobodies for 2 years, was by far the best player on a team that was no good
was able to lead his team to the play-offs in his second year.

- Even thou he played awesome hockey (everything considered) he went undrafted 2014, 2015 and 2016, why????

- In his last draft season (15-16) he was really good in the BCHL, was 1.27 ppg (15+56), was in the top 12
of BCHL scoring, 4th in assists, 15th in ppg, while playing with players that today (this season)
only 3 played in the NCAA, some still play in the BCHL and few play in the USports,
zero in the AHL, ECHL, 2 in the 3rd division German league, 2 in the ACHL,
none have contracts for next season.

2016-2017 -> 2018-2019 he played in the NCAA, was almost 1.00 assists (0.80) per game player
there for Michigan State, had the highest ppg (1.40) of all forwards, 2nd in the entire NCAA
after d-man Adam Fox (1.45 ppg) this season

How he had played his entire career without getting much attention from the scouts is beyond me.
- was he a terrible skater in the past?, was it because of his name? (that would be horrible if so)
- did he have a growth spurt after his draft year?, why he was never drafted?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad