LW Samuel Poulin - Sherbrooke Phoenix, QMJHL (2019, 21st, PIT)

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
What an amazing goal. The initial move to beat the defender was sick in itself. Then the rest happened. He will be good one.

If Poulin keeps up this pace around 2 points a game for the season how does that change his ranking in a fictional redraft? He was his teams captain and by far leading scorer last year but his bad team kept his numbers down. This year his team is much better and I think your seeing his real upside. 16 goals and 37 points in 19 games for an 18 year old with his leadership ability, hockey IQ, and size jumps him up several spots if they had a redraft today in my opinion. The big if is if he can sustain this pace.

The same example but the exact opposite is happening with Legare who was one of the leading goal scorers last year when on a good team and now has 9 goals and 18 points in 20 games. That's why scouts have to look much more than just production. Legare had a great camp with the Pens so I am not worried about him as a prospect but Poulin is the better prospect because he is a complete player. Legare will be a supporting type player if he makes it to the NHL using his shot and nose for the net to help a scoring line. Poulin is the complete package. What kind of NHL player does he compare to if he developed to his best upside?

Reactions: Dominance

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Poulin is having a great year but so are a ton of other picks. McMichael, Rees, Tracey...I mean there’s a dozen guys in just the CHL alone you could make the case for “jumping” up in a redraft.

I’d say be very excited and encouraged - he looks like a blue chipper - but way, way too early to even consider what would happen in redraft. I wager most teams and fans are probably pretty bullish on their top picks 20 games into the season.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Poulin is having a great year but so are a ton of other picks. McMichael, Rees, Tracey...I mean there’s a dozen guys in just the CHL alone you could make the case for “jumping” up in a redraft.

I’d say be very excited and encouraged - he looks like a blue chipper - but way, way too early to even consider what would happen in redraft. I wager most teams and fans are probably pretty bullish on their top picks 20 games into the season.

I would disagree in that while some prospects make the big jump in point production many don't. For example Addison from the Pens has stayed stagnant in his point production since his draft year. Others like Legare have actually produced much less so far. Another prospect the Pens just traded for POJ has also seen his numbers stagnate since his draft year. So making a huge jump in production after your draft year is a nice thing to see and is something to get excited about. We are taking about a guy that was just a little above a point a game now producing around two points a game and also 16 goals in his first 19 games. That is pretty impressive jump in production and the big if is can he keep that production up.

If Poulin does keep it up he certainly jumps up as a top 10 type pick at that point. Poulin was drafted in his spot because of all his other attributes and you add to that more of an elite type point producer to go with the leadership team Captain at 17 and his high hockey IQ and NHL body 6'2" 216 pounds that production would of put him way higher in the draft. The big if is can he keep it but this is a great start and definitely not the norm for most of our Pens prospects through the years.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I would disagree in that while some prospects make the big jump in point production many don't. For example Addison from the Pens has stayed stagnant in his point production since his draft year. Others like Legare have actually produced much less so far. Another prospect the Pens just traded for POJ has also seen his numbers stagnate since his draft year. So making a huge jump in production after your draft year is a nice thing to see and is something to get excited about. We are taking about a guy that was just a little above a point a game now producing around two points a game and also 16 goals in his first 19 games. That is pretty impressive jump in production and the big if is can he keep that production up.

If Poulin does keep it up he certainly jumps up as a top 10 type pick at that point. Poulin was drafted in his spot because of all his other attributes and you add to that more of an elite type point producer to go with the leadership team Captain at 17 and his high hockey IQ and NHL body 6'2" 216 pounds that production would of put him way higher in the draft. The big if is can he keep it but this is a great start and definitely not the norm for most of our Pens prospects through the years.
Top 10 type pick? Sorry but no. There’s so many factors into a players points production. What happens if you switch Legare and Poulin? Last year Legare had guys like Chekhovich. This year he’s got not much. Poulin’s team is destroying.

Reactions: Goldenhands

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Top 10 type pick? Sorry but no. There’s so many factors into a players points production. What happens if you switch Legare and Poulin? Last year Legare had guys like Chekhovich. This year he’s got not much. Poulin’s team is destroying.

He’s the reason why Sherbrooke are so good

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Production-wise playing with two overagers probably doesn’t hurt.. but he had the same linemates last season and he led Sherbrooke in points by a good margin. This year he’s still at a higher PPG than his linemates but not by nearly the same margin.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

No disrespect to Poulin, he’s a stud. But who are the 10+ prospects he’s passing? And how can you leap to such conclusions after a quarter of a season?

There’s guys drafted AFTER Poulin who have had just as big an impact. McMichael, Bjornfot, etc. I’m not saying I’d take them before Poulin but I’d also not jump to the conclusion after 20 games that Poulin leaps 10-15 guys himself.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It really seems like a lot of guys are having great starts to their post draft seasons.. most of the names that were either rumored to be on the Penguins radar at 21 or were picked in mock drafts are having huge years. Harley, McMichael, Kaliyev, Lavoie, Heinola.. and guys like Brink, Suzuki and Tomasino haven’t really hurt their rankings either.

Just stats-watching but I don’t really see anyone picked ahead of him that’s hurt their stock except maybe Boldy and Podkolzin.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
No disrespect to Poulin, he’s a stud. But who are the 10+ prospects he’s passing? And how can you leap to such conclusions after a quarter of a season?

There’s guys drafted AFTER Poulin who have had just as big an impact. McMichael, Bjornfot, etc. I’m not saying I’d take them before Poulin but I’d also not jump to the conclusion after 20 games that Poulin leaps 10-15 guys himself.

If you read my post you would see the big part of the question was "if he kept up producing at that two point a game rate". I am not jumping to any conclusions but hypothetically bringing up a scenario.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
3 more points tonight. On an absolute heater with 10 goals, 19 points in last 5 games.

29 goals ties his total from last season, in 31 less games.

Has anyone watched much of him lately?

no but he'll sure look good in a habs jersey at the trade deadline !!

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Just curious how this kid is looking over the summer and pres so far. Had moderately high hopes for this kid and Pens seem like they could use some younger offense,

Reactions: FromChaos22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad