LW Samuel Poulin - Sherbrooke Phoenix, QMJHL (2019, 21st, PIT)

canada22

Jun 26, 2019
For those saying they don't like this pick.... rather than gambling on kaliyev like they did with sprong a few years back, go with a big forward who plays a reliable and hard game with a good touch of skill. Poulin is a great pick for the pens.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
This is my own ignorance and please excuse it but what's the benefit of them signing him to this today knowing he has at least one more season in Q before he's ready (and honestly probably more time either in junior or the AHL on top).
Rewarding the kid for putting in a solid camp? Who knows what happens behind the scenes.

Reactions: EnglishJet

wein

Jul 2, 2013
His line with Voyer & Robert seems really hot 5-on-5.

They play Moncton on Thursday and Cap Breton on Saturday. It will be interesting to see how the games turnout as those are the other legitimate contenders this year.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
This is my own ignorance and please excuse it but what's the benefit of them signing him to this today knowing he has at least one more season in Q before he's ready (and honestly probably more time either in junior or the AHL on top).

I believe it's so they can immediately assign him to the AHL at the end of his junior season.

That's the only way he can play in the AHL before he turns 20/plays 4 years at junior - his junior team's season has to be over.

Reactions: EnglishJet

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I really like him and Legare. They both seem to have high upside. I watched a lot of Poulin in the preseason and he definitely seemed to have potential . I don’t see him as being a super high end guy, but the Pens always seem to find guys that can play well up and down the lineup. Rust, Sheary, Guentzel, Simon, Lafferty and not to mention the guys they aquire like McCann. I like Poulin’s chances.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I really like him and Legare. They both seem to have high upside. I watched a lot of Poulin in the preseason and he definitely seemed to have potential . I don’t see him as being a super high end guy, but the Pens always seem to find guys that can play well up and down the lineup. Rust, Sheary, Guentzel, Simon, Lafferty and not to mention the guys they aquire like McCann. I like Poulin’s chances.

To me, Legare is the higher upside guy and Poulin is the lower upside guy, but that should be two top 9 forwards that Pittsburgh has identified. And when you are always in win now mode, it's important to find a few of those guys. It's a lot easier to pick well with the few early picks you have than rely on developing later round picks or rely on Crosby and Malkin making AHL'ers into NHL'ers.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
To me, Legare is the higher upside guy and Poulin is the lower upside guy, but that should be two top 9 forwards that Pittsburgh has identified. And when you are always in win now mode, it's important to find a few of those guys. It's a lot easier to pick well with the few early picks you have than rely on developing later round picks or rely on Crosby and Malkin making AHL'ers into NHL'ers.
Agreed. Legare’s fate will be decided on his skating. Honestly, it looked good in training camp and preseason, but it’s certainly choppy and his biggest weakness. If both become quality cost-controlled top-9 wingers, that would be great, but I’d put money down that at least one becomes a “true” top-6 player.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
With Légaré, I wonder if some teams may have been worried about his build. He's not big, but he's pretty strong and stocky. Enough to make space in juniors, but not so much in the pros. Combined with his poor skating, those are not enticing physical attributes for a pro team.

Poulin doesn't have those concerns; he's bigger and a bit faster. A much safer prospect, even if his shot is not as good as Légaré's.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I wouldn't even worry about Legare's skating. He probably won't be an all-around star in every aspect of the game, but put him with Crosby or Malkin, and he's going to score a lot of points. Great offensive player, he'll be a big weapon on the PP, and worst case scenario, you have a generational player carry him at even strength. It's not too much of a problem. Maybe it would be more on a different team.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I wouldn't even worry about Legare's skating. He probably won't be an all-around star in every aspect of the game, but put him with Crosby or Malkin, and he's going to score a lot of points. Great offensive player, he'll be a big weapon on the PP, and worst case scenario, you have a generational player carry him at even strength. It's not too much of a problem. Maybe it would be more on a different team.
I agree with you on that. Legare has a great frame and a good shot. I can't see him driving a line ever, but he has some great tools and really impressed me in preseason.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
another AHL ready prospect wasting wasting his time in the CHL because of the ridiculous chl/nhl agreement
its outdated time to modify and change it

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
What an amazing goal. The initial move to beat the defender was sick in itself. Then the rest happened. He will be good one.

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad