LW/RW Kirill Kaprizov (2015, 135th, MIN) - Part II

shotvalley

Jan 18, 2010
Still thou... each year it gets less and less likely that he will sign an NHL contract with the Wild.

He now plays for a team that competes from the Gagarin Cup each season,
why would he join the Wild and play for a team that doesn't have a chance to play for the Stanley Cup?.

Why Kuznetsov or Panarin came to the NHL? Take a minute.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Still thou... each year it gets less and less likely that he will sign an NHL contract with the Wild.

why would he join the Wild and play for a team that doesn't have a chance to play for the Stanley Cup?.
Money and opportunity.

I can't remember how it all shakes out at this point, but while Minnesota does hold his rights for quite a long time their control of him once he signs isn't that long. Even if he figures the Wild will never win anything, the number of years he'd have to stay there before becoming a UFA isn't all that high. In the meantime Minnesota is, at worst, an innocuous place to live and play.

Either way, he's said multiple times he plans to move to the NHL once his KHL contract is up.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

The CBA can make it difficult in some situations. 18-21 year olds have to sign three year ELCs, 22-23 year olds sign two year ELCs. For European (trained) players 24-26 year olds sign 1 year ELCs.

A team can only guarantee 925K on an ELC. The contract can contain bonuses that could take it up to 3.775 mil but a player would need to have a Panarin-esque stat line to achieve those. If a guy like Kaprizov is being paid well in Russia, you could understand the hesitation in moving across the world and being locked into a potential pay cut for three seasons.

As it stands now, Kaprizov's deal expires in the spring of 2020. Not sure if things had changed, but somebody like Evgeni Kuznetsov signed after his KHL season was over and joined Washington for the stretch run in 2014. Kuznetsov had to sign a two year ELC but the first year got used up when he joined the club. If Kaprizov did the same, he could sign and burn the first year which would reduce the financial restraints. He'd have one year remaining which would coincide with the potential lockout in 2020-21.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Two best forwards in the league face to face.

So far Karizov 1 : Gusev 0.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Two best forwards in the league face to face.

So far Karizov 1 : Gusev 0.
2:0

Kaprizov and Gusev had a short and somewhat heated exchange after the game. Gusev also looked pissed. Well, they lost, while Gusev obviously was the only player worth watching on SKA.

puckMAN

Dec 28, 2004
North St Paul
2:0

Kaprizov and Gusev had a short and somewhat heated exchange after the game. Gusev also looked pissed. Well, they lost, while Gusev obviously was the only player worth watching on SKA.
Interesting.Aren't they linemates with pretty solid chemistry for Russia?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Interesting.Aren't they linemates with pretty solid chemistry for Russia?
Yes, that's the fun part about the game. Right now they are rivals and their respective teams' absolute top dogs and obviously both have a target on their backs. Both have to take a lot of abuse in the games so far. Kaprizov maybe more than Gusev even. Kaprizov never was whiny by any measure though. He absorbs it pretty well.

Reactions: slumpy43

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Was KK taken off the top line during these playoffs? Seems he was playing with Svetlakov a lot?

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
well i hope that never happens but if it did if i were gm i'd want 3 - 1st picks since Washington always make the playoffs & picks in the 20's. after kaprizov signed his 3 yr khl contract i asked wild posters if Washington offered that would you trade him? most said lets keep him hes our lotto ticket.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
man Minnesota could really use a guy like him
MN sports are cursed. No finals APPEARANCE in the big four sports since 1991. 103 seasons have come and gone. I don't really expect this guy to ever wear a Wild jersey because Minnesota. Not sure what we did to deserve it as our winters are awful... but we do have some of the best summers and falls, I guess...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad