LW/RW Joachim Blichfeld - Portland Winterhawks, WHL (2016, 210th, SJS)

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
eh i think this will make him extremely confident but not motivated to improve as much

its a gamble. works well with some players, some it can mess with their development

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
eh i think this will make him extremely confident but not motivated to improve as much

its a gamble. works well with some players, some it can mess with their development

Should’ve been playing pro hockey this year. Feel like it’s almost a waste of a season and now he’s a year behind where he should be. Not too sure what this year is accomplishing for him.

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
As a Winterhawks fan I was ecstatic for the early Christmas present that San Jose sent us in Blichfeld coming back for his overage year, giving Cody Glass someone talented to play with on an otherwise thin and young team.

Regarding the concerns about his development, I'll say that while he is a man among boys, he is logging huge minutes in every situation. That is a lot of reps where he is in a position of being relied upon for team success, at both ends of the ice. With the coaching duo of Mike Johnston and Don Hay, I think all those minutes will reveal any flaws in his technique and he has those tremendous coaches to rely on to fix those issues. It's not playing against men, or learning the SJ system but I hope it's not a lost year of development as is being worried about in this thread. I think his final year here in Portland can really benefit him in making him the best he can be, compared to a diminished role in the AHL

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
As great as his season has been, this is one player I am sure of that is inflated by the play of an elite level prospect. Watching Blichfeld during and after the WJC is like night and day. In the last 5 games, 6 of his 7 points were a direct result of Glass. Like Glass basically not only stirred the drink, but he slid it down the bar, put a garnish on it, and included a napkin with the hot blonde woman's number on it. Blichfeld is a good player and he's a great complimentary player at the WHL level but I'm not sure about his pro level projection the way I would be with some of the other more notable older prospects in the WHL.

Reactions: Vandalay Industries

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
He shouldn’t even be in the WHL right now. His production is cool and all but he SHOULD be producing these numbers. None of this is exactly impressing me and i am a big Blichfeld fan.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
As great as his season has been, this is one player I am sure of that is inflated by the play of an elite level prospect. Watching Blichfeld during and after the WJC is like night and day. In the last 5 games, 6 of his 7 points were a direct result of Glass. Like Glass basically not only stirred the drink, but he slid it down the bar, put a garnish on it, and included a napkin with the hot blonde woman's number on it. Blichfeld is a good player and he's a great complimentary player at the WHL level but I'm not sure about his pro level projection the way I would be with some of the other more notable older prospects in the WHL.

Well....he did score 5 goals and 5 assists without Glass in 5 games, while Glass was playing in the WJC.
So there's that....1+1 does not = 2 but rather 3 on the matter i think.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
So in those 9 games without (total of 12 this season) Glass, Joachim scored 10 goals and 9 assists, 19 points.

A 20 year old feasted on lesser competition when the good players aren't around at the start of the season (when good prospects are in NHL camps) and during the WJC. If you look, you'll always see people putting up big numbers at the start of the year, and then things start leveling off. I'm not saying Blichfeld is bad, I'm just saying, he's one overager I don't believe is necessarily doing a lot that wouldn't be expected of a drafted 20 year old. He's doing what he should be doing, and it's obvious when he plays with Glass, that he's nowhere near the talent level- not that he was ever thought to be.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Well, as a Dane, I'm very pleased with the progression of Blichfeld. He may not be the biggest talent around, but he has managed to get increasingly better season after season. Let's be realistic; his draft-ranking gives the indication that he most likely won't get to play in the NHL, but if his development continues like it has happened until now, he could become a very good player in a strong European league at least. Right now he is doing his best, let's see how far it will take him.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008

It's true. Every year you will find a couple of overagers producing a whole bunch of points against all these junior players. Few of them takes the step towards the NHL after that. There's a reason they are still playing the junior ranks as overagers.

Blichfeldt clearly has a knack for scoring goals and being a part of an offensive threat, but he also has a lot of improvements to do as a team player before an NHL club can use his abilities. He would be too costly over an entire season to drag around and he would not exactly be a player with effect on a third or fourth line, so he would have to jump to an offensive line. Now, do San Jose have room for this player on a second or third unit and on the PP1? I don't think so. Not for at least a couple of years.

Sure they will get a much closer look at him in the summer and autumn camps, but he is far fetched to play more than a few NHL games untill he expands his "programme".

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Had a hat trick tonight in a 5-2 win over Seattle. All 3 goals came from finding open space where the defense isn't covering and his teammates (All 3 of the goals were from Cody Glass) finding him as he hits the vulnerable space. Shows to me a high hockey IQ and ability to read the play which should translate to pro hockey, even though those openings tighten up at the pro level.

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Award-MVP-1024x576.jpg

Blichfeld Recognized as WHL Player of the Year – Portland Winterhawks

Not surprised.

Leon Draisaitl

German Gretzky
Jun 26, 2014
For those in here saying he wasted a year being an overager and tearing it up, Labanc did the same thing and he just scored 56 points in the NHL. Sometimes gaining confidence at one level and dominating is a good thing

Difference is Labanc was an "overager" in his draft+2, while Blichfeld is in his draft+3.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Difference is Labanc was an "overager" in his draft+2, while Blichfeld is in his draft+3.

I am not saying that they wil have the same carreer, but I don't understand your argument. When Labanc was the same age as Blichfeld he was also playing his last year in the CHL, If Labanc was drafted as an "overager" because of birth date how does it affect that he was also producing great in his last year in the CHL?

I believe that Kcoyote3 argument is still valid.

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad