LW/RW Fabian Lysell (2021, 21st, BOS)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
First round pick -> 0 points at WJC has been a strong bust indicator. Almost everyone who's done that has been a bust.

Parliament

Jul 15, 2014
First round pick -> 0 points at WJC has been a strong bust indicator. Almost everyone who's done that has been a bust.

How many previous first round picks with 0 points at WJC went on to score ~1 PPG in the AHL during the same season (with ~20 games played or more)? Genuinely curious,.. although I'd guess this list is relatively short.

But let's take WJC out of the equation for a second; how many first rounders in their first AHL season produced a ~1 PPG as a teenager? Would this be a strong not-a-bust indicator?

Context is important here and that's exactly why I wouldn't be worried if I was a BOS fan. Discouraged? Sure. But the WJC he had last year was impressive given his age. His AHL season this year is even more impressive given his age. At the end of the day WJC is a small sample size - valuable nonetheless, but I'd pick production in the AHL over only producing at 50% of the WJC's they play in.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
Seems relevant to the recent discourse:

I'm not going to say Lysell wasn't a big disappointment in the tournament but let's not act like he was the worst player on the ice. Also people seem to forget he left the first Czechia game early with an illness. Perhaps that may have played a part in his under-performance?

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
Probably the best skater in the AHL. But he will benefit from being slow-cooked. His offensive game will only get better with time. Like Mavrik Bourque who is leading the AHL in points this year. As of now.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
He's been playing his best hockey since the beginning of the 2023 season,Coach called him out about a Month ago and it seems like it finally sank in,we'll see ,I'm cautiously optimistic

Reactions: Walkenthewalk

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Here's a clip of the incident. He hit the boards pretty hard and had to be helped off the ice. I'd be surprised if he plays again this season which is a shame because he had been playing really well of late.

Man that really sucks for him hope it's a quick recovery.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

oldwpgjet

Apr 11, 2021
Has he been done for the season when he got hurt? Strikes me as odd as well that he never got a call up before the injury. He looks like one of very few offensive prospects that the Bruins have, is there some red flags , one way guy or something?

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
Will he start 2024-25 in Boston or again in Providence?
Unless his play without the puck has improved it will likely be Providence again
Has he been done for the season when he got hurt? Strikes me as odd as well that he never got a call up before the injury. He looks like one of very few offensive prospects that the Bruins have, is there some red flags , one way guy or something?

His attitude and play away from the puck were the two knocks on him during his draft year and I'd say both of those have proven true to some degree. Providences coaching staff called him out specifically earlier this season for his defensive play, not utilizing his teammates and just seemingly not wanting to buy into the system.

I don't really watch Providence games so I've only really seen him play in the preseason and on youtube but he had a really good first training camp in 2021 where it looked like it was a matter of time before he was a Top 6 guy but his last two camps have left me wanting more with a couple flashes here and there.

As far as talent goes hes incredibly skilled I'm just not sure the rest of the package is Top 6 level. Not writing him off or anything, he has great AHL numbers and is only 21, that's just my takeaway in my limited viewings.

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
He's been practicing for the last week or so. It remains to be seen if he'll actually play though. Providence is pretty shorthanded at the moment so they could definitely use him if he's able to play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad