LW/RW Fabian Lysell (2021, 21st, BOS)

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
Raymond is likely more complete. While Raymond is pretty flashy, Lysell is even more so. Has to be at the very top in his draft class when it comes to speed and stickhandling. Very shifty player who likes to deke his opponents. Has a mean wrister. Good puck stealing ability, just like Raymond. Not 100% defensively maybe, but should be a very early draft pick with continued development. Would have been a top scorer in the Swedish U20 league had he not played for a team like Frölunda... where they insist on playing him in the U18 leagues, being miles ahead of his opponents.

Leads the World U17 Challenge in scoring after the group stage.
You'd think that what he has done would be enough for him to get a couple of games with the J20 team already, but apparently not. If he keeps dominating J18 after christmas in J18 Allsvenskan I hope he forces their hands.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
From what iv'e learned from a short research, this guy seems to be the hottest Swedish name for the 2021 draft right? What are some other Swedes to keep an eye on?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
From what iv'e learned from a short research, this guy seems to be the hottest Swedish name for the 2021 draft right? What are some other Swedes to keep an eye on?

I think you could make an argument for 4 guys. I prefer William Eklund over Lysell personally. The two are quite similar but I think Eklund sees the ice a little bit better. Third player would be Oskar Olausson. Very explosive goal scoring winger with size, has been dealing with injuries this season but was lights out the one game I saw him. Isak Rosén is also quite good, skilled smart player with decent size.

Dower Nilsson could be an outside player but I've been extremely unimpressed with his play at the WU17's.

Last edited:

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I think 3 guys are very close. I prefer William Eklund over Lysell personally. The two are quite similar but I think Eklund sees the ice a little bit better. Third player would be Oskar Olausson. Very explosive goal scoring winger with size, has been dealing with injuries this season but was lights out the one game I saw him.

Seeing the ice is a better thing to have than skill imo, aslong as the differance ain't too big. So i can see why you'd have him over Lysell for sure, it all comes down to draft season at the end.

Simon Olofsson

Feb 11, 2019
Just watched 3 games with him on the elite camp for the u18 national team..
He was dominating with 5 points, him and Robertson who had 4 goals over the 3 games were the only 03’s. And they proved they’re well worthy
to make the team.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Drafted by Vancouver in the CHL Import Draft. I hope he reports. Frolunda isn't going to use him in the first team. Let them suffer for how they used Raymond last year and learn a lesson for the future. I think with the 2021 draft being wide open at the top that he should take his chances playing in the spotlight for NA scouts, and see if he can be one of the leading scorers in the CHL.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I think he could benefit from playing junior hockey. Lysell would have to outplay older WJC-quality players like Söderblom, Niederbach, Henriksson, Torgersson etc. to even sniff a few SHL minutes next season. Raymond is already up there and he's a similar player. I think it would be a good lesson for that organization to lose out on one of their top talents.

Reactions: theslatcher

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I think he could benefit from playing junior hockey. Lysell would have to outplay older WJC-quality players like Söderblom, Niederbach, Henriksson, Torgersson etc. to even sniff a few SHL minutes next season. Raymond is already up there and he's a similar player. I think it would be a good lesson for that organization to lose out on one of their top talents.
It'd be great if they lost more than one, honestly. They've acquired so many great talents that they're stifling multiple of them.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Watched some game tapes from Lysell again, and I think he's the most dynamic forward in the 2021 NHL Draft. He's got a lot of things to fix away from the puck and he plays a pretty immature game at times trying to do highlight reals all the time, but in terms of pure talent, he has to be up there. Would have him in the first half of the first round for now with upside for more. I think he has a lot of similarities with William Nylander.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Drafted by Vancouver in the CHL Import Draft. I hope he reports. Frolunda isn't going to use him in the first team. Let them suffer for how they used Raymond last year and learn a lesson for the future. I think with the 2021 draft being wide open at the top that he should take his chances playing in the spotlight for NA scouts, and see if he can be one of the leading scorers in the CHL.

I'd be very excited to see him here but I doubt he comes over and really wonder what the WHL does this year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Watched some game tapes from Lysell again, and I think he's the most dynamic forward in the 2021 NHL Draft. He's got a lot of things to fix away from the puck and he plays a pretty immature game at times trying to do highlight reals all the time, but in terms of pure talent, he has to be up there. Would have him in the first half of the first round for now with upside for more. I think he has a lot of similarities with William Nylander.

He’s #4 on my current list. Hugely dynamic winger, as you said. Could be a big scorer in the NHL.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Lysell will get to play in today's pre-season game for the men's team. A lot of (exciting) prospects in that lineup.

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
Don't think Lule is a good fit for him, he's not really Bulan's type.

You have to wonder what persons are giving these kids advice...

It's the same thing with Gunler... why would you go from Luleå to Brynäs, very similar coaches.
Or in Lysells case, as a skill-guy, why would you go to Luleå? HV71, Färjestad, Djurgården or MoDo (and some others) I could understand, they play a creative brand of hockey that will further their development and will make the best use of their skill. But Luleå? unless you are really physically mature, Luleå is no place for a young guy, IMO.

Reactions: king89

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
You have to wonder what persons are giving these kids advice...

It's the same thing with Gunler... why would you go from Luleå to Brynäs, very similar coaches.
Or in Lysells case, as a skill-guy, why would you go to Luleå? HV71, Färjestad, Djurgården or MoDo (and some others) I could understand, they play a creative brand of hockey that will further their development and will make the best use of their skill. But Luleå? unless you are really physically mature, Luleå is no place for a young guy, IMO.

I think he could fit. Lysell is a player in the Emanuelsson/Brännström mold and they seem to be doing fine there. I'm generally not a fan of any 17 year olds playing in the SHL though, regardless of how good they are. Don't see any downside spending a season in Allsvenskan first.

Edit: Sounds like Rögle is also in the race.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad