LW Ridly Greig - Ottawa Senators, NHL (2020, 28th, OTT)

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
This kid is a stud. Really liked him in the games I've seen so far. Both tools and IQ, wouldn't be surprised if he starts eating up Norris' ice time in a big way by the end of the season.

Receives practically no hype.
Maybe in Ottawa? He was the cover image a week ago on TSN, and also was in the spotlight (along with Sanderson) on the Kyper and Bourne show. He's also being heralded in the Calder thread.

Reactions: Sting

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Statistically:

38GP 8G 11A 19PTS with a whopping +19 which is 1st on the team , 11th in the NHL and 1st among rookies in the NHL.

He has 2 PPG and 1 SHG to go along with 16 EVP.

The Senators are a -10 team.

He sees 14:33 in icetime per game, but only sees 49 seconds of PP icetime per game which is 14th on the team, so his deployment has not been advantageous.

His points-per-game among rookies is 9th (filtered for 10 or more games) while his PP icetime per game is 25th and his overall icetime per game is 29th.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Statistically:

38GP 8G 11A 19PTS with a whopping +19 which is 1st on the team , 11th in the NHL and 1st among rookies in the NHL.

He has 2 PPG and 1 SHG to go along with 16 EVP.

The Senators are a -10 team.

He sees 14:33 in icetime per game, but only sees 49 seconds of PP icetime per game which is 14th on the team, so his deployment has not been advantageous.

His points-per-game among rookies is 9th (filtered for 10 or more games) while his PP icetime per game is 25th and his overall icetime per game is 29th.

My preferred way of digesting that information is just to look at his 5v5 scoring rate - Greig has a 1.94 P/60, which is not especially high on the Sens but a very good number overall (they score a lot 5v5). It's a 2nd line caliber P/60 leaguewide. Great for a rookie.

Reactions: slumpy43 and NyQuil

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
As i said somewere , Toronto should make a trade for him. Oh how everybody would laugh and laugh.

• Love
Reactions: M2Beezy

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
One of the most underrated players in the game.
Power forward with skill.
You win cups with these type of players..
Coaching needs to keep him in the top 6.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Absolutely, he's been billed that way since he was 16.

He's never been, and will never be, billed as a power forward
He just was, in this thread :laugh:

But I get your point. Just out of curiosity, what would you say are the attributes of a power forward?

Reactions: bert

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

But I get your point. Just out of curiosity, what would you say are the attributes of a power forward?

Size and physicality.

Sometimes we like to see goal scoring too.

Among guys who can put the puck in the net on the Sens, there are/were guys with size who aren’t physical (Dany Heatley), there are guys who are physical without size (Ridley Grieg) and there are guys who have both (Brady Tkachuk).

Reactions: Kalv

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021

Size is the attribute he lacks.

He's a small framed guy. Which is worrisome for his style of play, and we've seen him deal with a number of injures already.

He's a throwback pest with great defensive play and good play-making ability. An Alex Burrows type, but trade the goal-scoring for play-making.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Yes, which is why I said he should never be called a power forward

Guys like John Leclair, Ryane Clowe, Alex Ovechkin, Johan Franzen, Brady Tkachuk, Ryan Getzlaf, Tom Wilson. Big, imposing guys who have the size, strength and power to impose their will on the other teams while also playing a top 6 scoring role.

Not guys like Brad Marchand and Ken Linesman, who are incredibly, incredibly good, talented agitators who play extremely hard to the whistle, and cross tons of lines like Greig (not saying Greig is as good as Marchand or Linesman, they just play the same type of game.)

Reactions: Kalv and NyQuil

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

He's a small framed guy. Which is worrisome for his style of play, and we've seen him deal with a number of injures already.

He's a throwback pest with great defensive play and good play-making ability. An Alex Burrows type, but trade the goal-scoring for play-making.

A mix between Mike peca and Darcy Tucker.

Has the offensive upside and side show antics of Tucker.

Plays center and is defensively responsible and gritty like peca.

Both Tucker and peca could make big hits, as can Greig.

Edit: got beat to the punch for both comparisons. I've made this exact comparison many times before, so the fact it's been repeated by others gives me confidence I'm accurate.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004

He's built pretty solid though. I want to say his stature reminds me a bit of Mike Fisher but pound for pound, Fisher may have been the strongest guy in the league during his playing years. Greig is not quite there but he plays a heavy game for not being especially large.

I am still surprised he's a rookie out there. He looks like a guy who has been in the league for a few years now.

Imagine he's a staple top 9 guy for many years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad