LW Ridly Greig - Ottawa Senators, NHL (2020, 28th, OTT)

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Like DJ said, Greig is a "hockey player". He is a jack of all trades; offense, defense, tenacity, nasty, good positioning, centre, can play wing.

Remember, he was Canada's player of the game twice in 4+ games in the World Jrs in August.

He just has it. A glue guy that all good teams need. If we become a good team in a year or 2, Ridly will be a key player.

If Sanderson becomes a #1 defenseman, and Ridly becomes a top end all-around 2nd liner, our 2000 1st round could go down as an all-time draft round.

3. Stutzle
5. Sanderson
28. Greig

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Such an interesting player. Complete buzzsaw but actually has a lot of skill and hockey IQ. Seems like the type who could still be effective even without the skill.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Another point, and he looked good last night. Would have probably scored Girouxs second goal if it had not hit a foot first.

All signs point to a full time middle six player next season, and likely a guy who is hard to play against who also chips in on offense.

I get Mike Fisher vibes

FliegerKorps

May 10, 2018
Habs fan here with a wife who's a die hard sens fan lol.

Greig is a beauty. He's dynamic and attack the center of the ice. That's exactly what the sens need with the sheer offensive talent they have.

Now can you guys get a Chychrun type defenseman so we could have the two most exciting upcoming teams in the playoffs?? (Buffalo and Ottawa)

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Habs fan here with a wife who's a die hard sens fan lol.

Greig is a beauty. He's dynamic and attack the center of the ice. That's exactly what the sens need with the sheer offensive talent they have.

Now can you guys get a Chychrun type defenseman so we could have the two most exciting upcoming teams in the playoffs?? (Buffalo and Ottawa)

With The ermergence of Sandy and Hamonic playing well, I wonder if the sens don’t need to improve the D depth (5/6/7) moreso than the top 4. We can do better than Zaitsev, Holden, Brannstrom, but I’m happy with Sandy, Chabot, Zub, Hamonic.

FliegerKorps

May 10, 2018
With The ermergence of Sandy and Hamonic playing well, I wonder if the sens don’t need to improve the D depth (5/6/7) moreso than the top 4. We can do better than Zaitsev, Holden, Brannstrom, but I’m happy with Sandy, Chabot, Zub, Hamonic.
I don't disagree with the analysis. However, as i happen to follow the sens almost as closely as the habs, i feel like Chabot is a decent albeit not high-end 1d and Sanderson as good as he is, still has a learning curve. Hence why a stop-gap great top4 to alleviate some of Chabot's workload and give some time to Sanderson to refine his skills would be a great addition.

Obviously, in the best case scenario you'd get a great top 4 and a decent 5 for a hypothetical playoff push but if i had to choose between the two i'd aim for the moon.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Bringing this thread back as Ridly Greig has had a great start to the season.

Receives practically no hype. 1st rounder who was Canada's player of the game twice in the WJC before getting injured.

He's been one of the Sens' best players and has excellent chemistry with Tarasenko.

5 points in 6 games, and he's an all-round player that doesn't need offence to contribute to a team, although he is producing so far. 14 points in 26 games in his career so far.

Gritty, fearless, agitator, solid defensively, good on the PK (was insane on PK for Canada).

I was laughed at here in the summer when I said Greig would have a better season than "superstar" Matthew Knies. Not guaranteeing he will for sure, but you can see it's not laughable to compare them. It may not hold up, but he's outscoring Knies who is an all-offense player that is useless to a team if he isn't scoring.

Reactions: NyQuil

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
I actually thought Knies looked good on the PK in the pre-season.

Anyway, Greig is indeed getting little hype despite the nice start. I thought he looked really good last year when playing with Giroux chemistry wise, so maybe he's just the type of player that plays off other talented players?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad