LW Ridly Greig - Ottawa Senators, NHL (2020, 28th, OTT)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not according to Wheeler at the Athletic. One of the big losers.

Their Day 1 was really solid.

Day 2. Bit of a reach for Jarventie (33) but I like the prospect. After that ... I completely agree 3 20 y/o double overagers and an unranked, projected to go undrafted goalie (71)

I cannot defend anything after pick 33. Daoust (158) I suppose has an outside chance to be something.
Trading 59 and 64 for 44 to pick Tyler Kleven.. Who projects to be a bottom pair LD ... too focused on "their guy" , immediate shortcomings and size vs picking the best players available.

So much on the board still at 71 when they likely could have had that goalie and not used a pick.
Who heard of Leevi Merilainen before this draft.

1st 4 picks

Stutzle
Sanderson
Grieg
Jarventie

I like .. No issues at all. but wow.. after that

Alternative picks
59 Cuylle -- Sens went for 3 LARGE 20 y/os .. passed over twice before . I'll go 1st year elligible 6'3 200+
64 Brandon Coe ... Underrated good size , skills have upside. 1st year eligible 6'4 190
71 Joni Jurmo (LD) 6'4 200 ... not the Kleven mold but good size, can really wheel. Good puck skills. Needs development like any 3rd round D man.
155 Rory Kerins vs Double over ager Eric Engstrand (Big but still playing Swedish U20 league) or Rempe if they really wanted size
181 Alexander Pashin vs Cole Reinhardt (another big double overager) Pashin is small but he can play .. why not take a swing

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Their Day 1 was really solid.

Day 2. Bit of a reach for Jarventie (33) but I like the prospect. After that ... I completely agree 3 20 y/o double overagers and an unranked, projected to go undrafted goalie (71)

I cannot defend anything after pick 33. Daoust (158) I suppose has an outside chance to be something.
Trading 59 and 64 for 44 to pick Tyler Kleven.. Who projects to be a bottom pair LD ... too focused on "their guy" , immediate shortcomings and size vs picking the best players available.

So much on the board still at 71 when they likely could have had that goalie and not used a pick.
Who heard of Leevi Merilainen before this draft.

1st 4 picks

Stutzle
Sanderson
Grieg
Jarventie

I like .. No issues at all. but wow.. after that

Alternative picks
59 Cuylle -- Sens went for 3 LARGE 20 y/os .. passed over twice before . I'll go 1st year elligible 6'3 200+
64 Brandon Coe ... Underrated good size , skills have upside. 1st year eligible 6'4 190
71 Joni Jurmo (LD) 6'4 200 ... not the Kleven mold but good size, can really wheel. Good puck skills. Needs development like any 3rd round D man.
155 Rory Kerins vs Double over ager Eric Engstrand (Big but still playing Swedish U20 league) or Rempe if they really wanted size
181 Alexander Pashin vs Cole Reinhardt (another big double overager) Pashin is small but he can play .. why not take a swing

Engstrand is not playing U20. He's been with Malmo's top team since end of last season. He did have one of the best seasons of all time in Sweden u20 last year, though. Not counting on anything but he made the SHL fulltime as a teen... nothing to sneeze at in the late 5th round. If he ends up as a 4th liner, thats a win.

As for Sokolov, he was ranked as a potential top 90 pick in his first year of eligibility and has addressed a lot of his major weaknesses since then. Maybe it will end up as a bad pick, but the fact that he's an overager shouldnt be discouraging. That said, I suspect we will know very soon whether it was a good pick or not, as he will be playing pro this upcoming year. Not the guy I would have selected, but a guy with his skillset and drive to improve and not just improve but play in the NHL (not a given by any means...)? I dont hate taking a swing at him. That, to me, is a pure swing for the fence type pick and if he continues to progress, it could look very good before too long. Maybe you can get him a bit later, but if he makes it, no one will care about missing out on adding another 4th.

I think you are putting way too much faith in public lists. Sens definitely miss on some picks, but the formula generally outperforms the average when all is said and done.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Engstrand is not playing U20. He's been with Malmo's top team since end of last season. He did have one of the best seasons of all time in Sweden u20 last year, though. Not counting on anything but he made the SHL fulltime as a teen... nothing to sneeze at in the late 5th round. If he ends up as a 4th liner, thats a win.

As for Sokolov, he was ranked as a potential top 90 pick in his first year of eligibility and has addressed a lot of his major weaknesses since then. Maybe it will end up as a bad pick, but the fact that he's an overager shouldnt be discouraging. That said, I suspect we will know very soon whether it was a good pick or not, as he will be playing pro this upcoming year. Not the guy I would have selected, but a guy with his skillset and drive to improve and not just improve but play in the NHL (not a given by any means...)? I dont hate taking a swing at him. That, to me, is a pure swing for the fence type pick and if he continues to progress, it could look very good before too long. Maybe you can get him a bit later, but if he makes it, no one will care about missing out on adding another 4th.

I think you are putting way too much faith in public lists. Sens definitely miss on some picks, but the formula generally outperforms the average when all is said and done.
Engstrand
upload_2020-10-15_8-15-45.png

Looks like he was on the SHL roster for 9/46 games played. Large Majority of the year was in U20.
I put faith in the rather extensive research I have done from multiple sources. I prefer to look at it like I think and research and make up my own mind vs blindly following and closing my eyes and telling myself to have faith in our GM and his decisions.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Engstrand
View attachment 372855

Looks like he was on the SHL roster for 9/46 games played. Large Majority of the year was in U20.
I put faith in the rather extensive research I have done from multiple sources. I prefer to look at it like I think and research and make up my own mind vs blindly following and closing my eyes and telling myself to have faith in our GM and his decisions.

Yes, as I said - he ended the season in the SHL and is currently in the SHL. You said he is still playing U20, which is wrong and has been since before the end of the previous season.

Did you watch much of Engstrand? Sokolov? All I've seen of Sokolov was the U20s, where I thought he was noticeable but not a stand-out. Not the pick I would have made... Nice holier than thou line at the end there, though, lol. I appreciate you having your own opinion, nothing wrong with that at all, but to operate as though you have no blindspots, or that the public lists you have studied lack blindspots, is arrogant. I'm not saying the Sens had a great 2nd day, but I can understand their approach. Three sure thing top-9ers in the first round, two swings for the fences in the 2nd, and a bunch of guys who are geared towards the bottom of the lineup. Also, if you think our GM had any input in those later selections, I really don't know what to tell you other than that he didn't.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yes, as I said - he ended the season in the SHL and is currently in the SHL. You said he is still playing U20, which is wrong and has been since before the end of the previous season.

Did you watch much of Engstrand? Sokolov? All I've seen of Sokolov was the U20s, where I thought he was noticeable but not a stand-out. Not the pick I would have made... Nice holier than thou line at the end there, though, lol. I appreciate you having your own opinion, nothing wrong with that at all, but to operate as though you have no blindspots, or that the public lists you have studied lack blindspots, is arrogant. I'm not saying the Sens had a great 2nd day, but I can understand their approach. Three sure thing top-9ers in the first round, two swings for the fences in the 2nd, and a bunch of guys who are geared towards the bottom of the lineup. Also, if you think our GM had any input in those later selections, I really don't know what to tell you other than that he didn't.
I only said that to counter your "too much faith in public sources" comment .. Which I find quite insulting considering the effort I put in to try to educate myself on the prospects. And now I am arrogant. Ok... well I guess we are close to done here. I am not claiming to know more than anyone. You are countering my opinion with insults. Every scout every where has blind spots for something or other. I am far less familiar with the double over agers available in the draft than the 1st year eligibles, I will confirm that. I was well aware of Sokolov and I like the player. I think there were other worthy options for DY players vs DY +2 players. Being that big and that much older and stronger in the CHL .. I am skeptical on how it will translate in the pros .. but we have him and we will see. In general .. I do not understand picking BIG DY+2 players to fill some form of role somewhere vs targeting players of that type in their DY perhaps a little earlier.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I only said that to counter your "too much faith in public sources" comment .. Which I find quite insulting considering the effort I put in to try to educate myself on the prospects. And now I am arrogant. Ok... well I guess we are close to done here. I am not claiming to know more than anyone. You are countering my opinion with insults. Every scout every where has blind spots for something or other. I am far less familiar with the double over agers available in the draft than the 1st year eligibles, I will confirm that. I was well aware of Sokolov and I like the player. I think there were other worthy options for DY players vs DY +2 players. Being that big and that much older and stronger in the CHL .. I am skeptical on how it will translate in the pros .. but we have him and we will see. In general .. I do not understand picking BIG DY+2 players to fill some form of role somewhere vs targeting players of that type in their DY perhaps a little earlier.

I'm not trying to be insulting, and I totally acknowledge and agree that you are more in the know than most. IMO you take the guy you think projects to be the best, and its easier to project older players. Nothing wrong with it in theory, imo, especially since the Sens have had quite a bit of success with OA players.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
im getting steal vibes from everything I learn about this kid, excited to see how he plays out. my guess is two years in junior and a year in AHL away from the show.

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
I’ve seen him play in person last year (or has it been two......man it seems like covid has messed up a lot).

Anyways....,,,,this was the catalyst pick for the sens. Mike Richards to me is a good comparison .......... team First is what stands out to me when you watch him play.

great pick Ottawa did very very well in this draft.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Another thing for Sens fans to be happy about is how much he progressed over the year especially from christmas onwards until rona shut things down. There's quite a few draft prospects who seem to already stagnate in their draft year and never improve after they're drafted(see Cam Morrison). He also has filled out quite a bit and will be part of a good Brandon team whenever this year happens. They should be good next year also with the young talent coming up.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Playing with Belleville while the WHL awaits the start to it's season. He has been very impressive.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Glad to hear he’s playing, he had a long recovery from COVID missing both the Canadian WJC and Senator training camps IRC.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
If he continues to stand out over the next two weeks of Belleville games I'm wondering if the Sens give him a game or two before sending him back to major-junior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad