LW Patrik Puistola - Mikkelin Jukurit, Liiga (2019, 73rd, CAR; traded to EDM)

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
Nice of you to rejoice over a player's injury.

I guess we should wish for all the players that have their head down at some point in a game to be sent to the hospital...
My point was he could have even worse injury in WJC. Have fun with misunderstanding on purpose.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
2g + 1a for Puistola today, now leading the World Juniors in points. Always seems to be in the right place at the right time to Finnish.

He and Bokk are looking pretty good for CAR so far this tournament.
Puistola is a high hockey IQ sniper type of a player, who is also capable of doing relatively well some playmaking if he gets to play with the right kind of high hockey IQ players. Unfortunately he is still very raw physically, so I see him pretty far away (probably several years) from playing well at the NHL level. But with the skills and the high hockey IQ he has definitely the potential to become even a great NHL player some day. But for that to happen he has to develop himself A LOT physically. This includes the need for the right kind of leg training to improve his skating explosiveness.

Last edited:
Reactions: king89

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Good thing for CAR is that they certainly have the depth to give Puistola all the time and opportunity he needs to make the NHL. I’d expect him to spend next season in Liiga then make the jump to the AHL for at least another year of development before maybe being ready to contend for a spot in 22-23 or so.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Good thing for CAR is that they certainly have the depth to give Puistola all the time and opportunity he needs to make the NHL. I’d expect him to spend next season in Liiga then make the jump to the AHL for at least another year of development before maybe being ready to contend for a spot in 22-23 or so.
This could be even a realistic path. But I am still a bit suspecting that he will still play even two seasons in Liiga and then after that take that route that you described. Just because I think he is that raw physically that his physical training would probably benefit from playing shorter seasons and having less traveling, thus more time to put into training during the season as well as in the off season. But sure, if his physical development goes better than I’m suspecting, then he can probably be challenging for playing in the NHL even around 22-23 season.

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
So the loan with Jukurit ended 14th of Dec and he is now back with Tappara playing 3rd line instead of 4th and getting 11 minutes instead 7, that's progress, right?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
So the loan with Jukurit ended 14th of Dec and he is now back with Tappara playing 3rd line instead of 4th and getting 11 minutes instead 7, that's progress, right?

Can't they have loaned him for the full season?

Pyy83

Jan 12, 2012
I saw absolutely no skill of him on the U20 tourney even though he scored points.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I saw absolutely no skill of him on the U20 tourney even though he scored points.

I think you may be confusing skill with dangling and carrying the play. From what I saw Puistola was not jumping off the screen quarterbacking plays or dazzling with his skating. He was consistently in the right place, doing the right thing, at the right time. He was making his linemates better with heads-up plays, he picked his spots well and finished plays among the best of the tourney, and he was decisive with the puck. He played a simple and effective game. Hopefully he eventually gets a shot with the Canes because Brind'Amour loves simple, effective guys - especially ones with skill.

Last edited:

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu

And that is only because Tappara has 3 of their top6 forwards injured, otherswise he would've be on the 4th line or not playing.

Reactions: ookhaab

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad