LW Patrik Laine (2016, 2nd, WPG) XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Doesn't upset me at all, just thought it was a clear baiting attempt. I'm curious as to why Matthews name is brought up so much anyways, I usually come to prospect threads to talk about the prospects, not other ones.

I think it's clear why. The exact same reason why Matthews thread has Laine mentioned so often. It's annoying, but we both know why it's happening.

And I have to say, the amount of arrogant comments Laine fans were getting after the draft, I can understand why they feel bit floaty right now. There was a non-trivial amount of posters on this site calling people who said Laine=Matthews insane and delusional.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Wayne Gretzky scored 51 goals in regullar season that he was 18 on. Laine will be 18 for full regullar season, se he could pull of as good result as Gretzky back in time, if he can keep this up.

That said, I'm not going to expect 50 goals even from 1st pick or 2nd pick or gifted rookie. I'd take it but Im still going to be very excited if he hits the 25 goal mark this season. Right now it looks like he surely will, and I really can't see talent like him scoring under 30 after this start, but I still want to adjust the expectations to fit for rookie that wont hit 19 during this regullar season.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Doesn't upset me at all, just thought it was a clear baiting attempt. I'm curious as to why Matthews name is brought up so much anyways, I usually come to prospect threads to talk about the prospects, not other ones.

Now there's some early data to back up the objections that the Laine gang had against the assertions that Laine shouldn't even be in the talks for the 1OA against Matthews. Ainec and whatnot. As it stands, the argument could legimitely have been made back then.

Matthews is not that much better than Laine.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Now there's some early data to back up the objections that the Laine gang had against the assertions that Laine shouldn't even be in the talks for the 1OA against Matthews. Ainec and whatnot. As it stands, the argument could legimitely have been made back then.

Matthews is not that much better than Laine.

Could've been made and it definitely was made. It was made here but it was also made by professional hockey players and coaches. I made it here. I recall many others making it here. I don't mind getting flamed by bunch of HC matthews fans, I just said Laine would be legit 1st pick over matthews. But I never called Matthews bad. He was and is legit player to be selected as #1.

Look, if Laine was Canadien kid from say Toronto doing what he is doing, don cherry and guys would be saying he's better than Matthews, and the flame army would be preferring Laine, not Matthews as a result. But because Laine is from Finland, don cherry just shuts the **** up.

I don't want to go to Flmaing and "war" part tho. I don't care what Cherry or media in NA thinks. Finnish media is absolutely crazy about Laine and it balances it out. I don't think it's war between Laine and Matthews, I just enjoy how they play and specially Laine. I love watching them play and I hope they keep up the good work.

Last edited:

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Could've been made and it definitely was made. It was made here but it was also made by professional hockey players and coaches. I made it. I recall many others making it.

I should have used "can" insteal of "could". I didn't really mean it as in the conditionale form.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Well if you went a few pages back you would see it was one of your fellow Leaf fans keeping the Matthews talk going. Too lazy to check if he actually was the one who started it or not.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Well if you went a few pages back you would see it was one of your fellow Leaf fans keeping the Matthews talk going. Too lazy to check if he actually was the one who started it or not.

That guy was probably on the break from the bridge toll duty and his comments shouldn't be taken too seriously and especially not be projected over a whole fandom.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
What a game for Laine. He's taking such huge steps in such a short period.

Last edited:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I heard Canadien immigrant office website went down tonight, as glory hunters are willing to move in Winnipeg after the second hat trick. :sarcasm:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think there were a lot people who said Laine is GENERATIONAL.

Only few said.

What a beast of a game, 2 highlight hits, 3+1 and stood up against Roussell after that ....... hit on Ehlers, what a beauty.

As 5on5 scoring has been concern 4+1 on the last 3 games on 5on5.

As a Leaf fan, I'm not even mad. This is amazing. What a freaking player.

You shouldn't be, you got Matthews.

It's been less then 15 NHL games. Matthews could very well be the superior NHL'er, and vice versa.

Here though everything was decided after 1 game and fans who said they are on the same tier got laughed at by many, and got told how Laine shouldn't be even mentioned with Matthews as it's an insult towards Matthews pretty much.
Its way too early to say anything with 100%, but it's pretty fun seeing some(not you) say x is superior after 1 game but after 15 games you can't when it's the other player.

I still say they are on the same tier.

Last edited:

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
After few badly slept hours I am still somewhat stoned about this all. It's damn hard to adjust to the reality after happenings and stats facts like this. This was one of those rare situations in my life, where feeling, instinct, and flow overran the rational, analytic side of thinking. When Laine scored his 1st goal in the game, I started rant comment how I am forced to change my premises for his potential projections. While doing that he just scored 2nd one... and then third...

Some fundamental, essential and rudimentrary force of hockey is running through, and materializing via Patrik. Unprecedented, unreal.

Still, even I fly in clouds now I still try near desperately scale done most ridiculous speculations that are in auto-generating mode in my head as better be sure, then sore. Luckily there are TAnnala -like quality analysts that can argue rationally and put things in measurable contexts. Thanks for your comments.

Then, I cannot simply care less if some disappointed leafs boy comes here with some mysterious statistics that indicate that AM has better XoT6 by 0.426% GTZb4 by 116.789% and that his UuGH% index 14.735 is far better then Laines 14.733 to prove something.

Obviously. I mean Obviously. You simply cannot have better and more meaningful hockey stats then Goals and GPG, as goal scoring is the objective of the Game. As such it override by default all other statistical categories. It's real and pure category.

Thx. Pate! You made me to believe! :)

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
After few badly slept hours I am still somewhat stoned about this all. It's damn hard to adjust to the reality after happenings and stats facts like this. This was one of those rare situations in my life, where feeling, instinct, and flow overran the rational, analytic side of thinking. When Laine scored his 1st goal in the game, I started rant comment how I am forced to change my premises for his potential projections. While doing that he just scored 2nd one... and then third...

Some fundamental, essential and rudimentrary force of hockey is running through, and materializing via Patrik. Unprecedented, unreal.

Still, even I fly in clouds now I still try near desperately scale done most ridiculous speculations that are in auto-generating mode in my head as better be sure, then sore. Luckily there are TAnnala -like quality analysts that can argue rationally and put things in measurable contexts. Thanks for your comments.

Then, I cannot simply care less if some disappointed leafs boy comes here with some mysterious statistics that indicate that AM has better XoT6 by 0.426% GTZb4 by 116.789% and that his UuGH% index 14.735 is far better then Laines 14.733 to prove something.

Obviously. I mean Obviously. You simply cannot have better and more meaningful hockey stats then Goals and GPG, as goal scoring is the objective of the Game. As such it override by default all other statistical categories. It's real and pure category.

Don't underestimate XoT6, GTZb4, UuGH%.

Toronto media told the boys those are the most important "underlying" stats there are.

And oh boy those guys believe anything their beloved media tells them :D

armyjoe

Nov 15, 2010
I thought it would have taken few years for him to get going and I was thinking leaf fans would have had their time to feast on that but he is making them look bad right out of the gates:handclap:
Now let`s see what he can do when he matures out physically and learns small rink game.

skillhockey

Feb 26, 2013
I thought it would have taken few years for him to get going and I was thinking leaf fans would have had their time to feast on that but he is making them look bad right out of the gates:handclap:
Now let`s see what he can do when he matures out physically and learns small rink game.

He already learned the small rink game, but after year or 2 when he gets another step for his skating, he will drive the play and do pretty much what ever he wants.

JA

I've been updating the OP as Patrik's season has progressed, and I hope to continue doing this. As the current thread has nearly reached 1,000 posts, I am now creating Part XVI of the discussion.

Moderators, please feel free to lock that thread until this one reaches 1,000 posts; on the other hand, you could lock this thread at 971 posts and move the discussion immediately to Part XVI.

Thanks.

Part XVI: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=124271903

Last edited by a moderator:

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

the UuGH% index clearly shows Matthews just has bad puck luck everytime Laine's better (it's just a coincidence!), any beer leaguer in Ontario could've scored two hattricks in the NHL by now.

Also stop being a homer by ignoring rel.SkibbedlySkabbeldy%for :sarcasm:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

Either I'm misunderstanding... or you're not supposed to talk about that here. ;)

Seriously though, Laine is just looking awesome. It's fun to watch him as a fan.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I've been updating the OP as Patrik's season has progressed, and I hope to continue doing this. As the current thread has nearly reached 1,000 posts, I am now creating Part XVI of the discussion.

Moderators, please feel free to lock that thread until this one reaches 1,000 posts; on the other hand, you could lock this thread at 971 posts and move the discussion immediately to Part XVI.

Thanks.

Part XVI: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=124271903

Closed - continue in the new thread linked above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad