LW Patrik Laine (2016, 2nd, WPG) XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Of course not. I'm not declaring one better than the other; I merely implied that to claim Laine might be better than Matthews is not unreasonable and some people indeed made that claim a long time ago.

Anyone that thought they knew before they played an NHL game is full of it. We still dont know. Both are great.

One thing is for sure Laine is alot better than leafs fans argued he was going to be already.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
Matthews >> Laine still if you watch them both as an objective third party fan. Laine having a nice run for goals here but overall with the wing being easier to break in and Matthews being a better defensive player and the center it's still going to be Matthews >> Laine all told.

Not to take away from Laine who has already been showing great goalscoring over a small sample size here and will undoubtedly be a great talent for this game as well.

Playing with Scheifele who's just hitting his strides as an elite talent and on an overall better team (at this point in their progression) certainly works in Laine's favour too.

I'm genuinely curious...

Is there a competition out there to be the last one to throw out "Matthews >> Laine" or "Matthews > Laine AINEC" in a Laine thread?

If so, based on what?

If you're saying that Laine is an illusion, based on a small sample size, you"re asserting that Matthews is better, BASED ON A SMALL SAMPLE SIZE. How is Matthews sample size a superior predictor, somehow?

...and you do this in the face of another hat-trick.

I'm going out on a limb here, and state that you certainly have not watched all of Laine's games this year,if any. Period.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I'm genuinely curious...

Is there a competition out there to be the last one to throw out "Matthews >> Laine" or "Matthews > Laine AINEC" in a Laine thread?

If so, based on what?

If you're saying that Laine is an illusion, based on a small sample size, you"re asserting that Matthews is better, BASED ON A SMALL SAMPLE SIZE. How is Matthews sample size a superior predictor, somehow?

...and you do this in the face of another hat-trick.

I'm going out on a limb here, and state that you certainly have not watched all of Laine's games this year,if any. Period.

I guess based on 0+0 and team lowest -3 today... :sarcasm:

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Beautiful. It's thinking like this that landed us the NHL goal scoring leader.

I wake up and thank God everyday that we had the opportunity to draft the superior player and didn't have to get stuck with a second rate player like Laine.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I wake up and thank God everyday that we had the opportunity to draft the superior player and didn't have to get stuck with a second rate player like Laine.

You're making yourself look bad. Matthews may be the better player going forward, it is not clear at this point.

Take yourself to the Matthews thread and go talk about him there, this is the Laine thread, you know, the guy leading the NHL in goals at 18?

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
You're making yourself look bad. Matthews may be the better player going forward, it is not clear at this point.

Take yourself to the Matthews thread and go talk about him there, this is the Laine thread, you know, the guy leading the NHL in goals at 18?

Right, and Laine is an excellent talent. Both are.

"Thank god Leafs passed on Matthews and we can draft Laine"

is the post I was responding to. Why don't you tell that poster that it is the Laine thread.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
"2nd rate" = leading the entire NHL in goals....LOL

right. And thats just as stupid as saying "Thank god Leafs passed on Laine" because getting Matthews would literally be the worst thing in the world. Both excellent talents.

Booster*

Jan 10, 2016

:nopity:

No when it´s obvious you´re painfully hurt. I´ll give you a soothing reminder: YOU COULD HAVE HAD LAINE.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Anyone that thought they knew before they played an NHL game is full of it. We still dont know. Both are great.

One thing is for sure Laine is alot better than leafs fans argued he was going to be already.

To be fair, he's a lot better than the reasonable fans who thought he'd have a 20-20-40ish rookie year. Right now it looks like he'll breeze past 30 goals

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
right. And thats just as stupid as saying "Thank god Leafs passed on Laine" because getting Matthews would literally be the worst thing in the world. Both excellent talents.

My man. I did not mention Matthews once. As a Jets fan I'm over the moon you didn't take him. Because he's the NHL goal scoring leader. While doing it with his linemate, the NHL points leader.

I love the Leafs for giving us Laine.

randomhockeyfan

Sep 23, 2016

Come on now, this is a thread about Laine and after the second hatty he just had I think people are just really excited right now. I'm sure Jets fans would be more than happy with Matthews as well.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

So you whine in the other thread about posts like this, and then feel the need to come into the Laine thread to do the exact same thing? My my, you are a special one aren't you.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Need only 24 goals in 68 games to score 35 as an 18 year old rookie

Very very impressive. This kids shot is something else. Obviously I don't expect him to score at his current pace, but I was drooling over his shot in the WJC's. Its really too bad the lottery altered what could have been one of the most dynamic duo's the league has ever seen in McDavid-Laine. Probably for the best for any Pacific Division team. That would be such a nightmare to face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad