Patrik Laine:
NHL Team: Winnipeg Jets
Birthdate: April 19, 1998.

2015-16 Liiga Rookie of the Year.
2015-16 Liiga Rookie Goals Leader.
2015-16 Liiga Rookie Points Leader.
2015-16 Liiga Playoff MVP and Champion.
2015-16 Liiga Playoff Goals Leader.
2015-16 Liiga Record Setter for Most Playoff Goals By a Rookie.
2016 World Junior All Star Team.
2016 World Junior Gold Medal.
2016 World Junior Goals Leader.
2015 U-18 All Star Team.
2015 U-18 Silver Medal.
2015 U-18 Goals Leader.
2016 World Championship MVP.
2016 World Championship Silver Medal.
2016 World Championship All-Star Team.
2016 World Championship, IIHF Directorate Award for Best Forward.
2016 World Championship, Award for Top 3 Player on Team.
2016 World Championship Goals Leader.
2016 World Championship Record Setter for Most Goals by a Player in First Year of NHL Draft Eligibility.
2016 World Championship Record Setter for Most Points by a Player in First Year of NHL Draft Eligibility.
Second-Highest Point Total by a U-19 Player at a World Championship Tournament (behind only Sidney Crosby, 2006).

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=221667

For information about his 2015-16 hockey season, refer to OP XII: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=119942875&postcount=1

cropped_REU_2562349.jpg

Highlights From His First Thirteen NHL Games of 2016-17:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/patrik-laine-jets-first-game-1.3786081
'The moment I've been waiting for': Laine set for 1st game as Winnipeg Jet
CBC News Posted: Sep 30, 2016 12:28 PM CT Last Updated: Sep 30, 2016 12:28 PM CT

Patrik Laine knows expectations are high but he's not promising any wizardry as he heads into his first-ever NHL game tonight.

"I know that everybody's expecting me to do something magical or something, but I just want to play my game and play the team's game and just give the best shot that I have on the ice, every shift," the Winnipeg Jets' highly-touted rookie said after a morning practice on Friday.

"I know that's enough for me and my teammates so I don't have to worry what other people are expecting."

Jets fans have been anticipating Laine's debut since the 18-year-old Finnish forward was drafted second-overall in the NHL draft earlier this year. So has Laine.

"It's the moment I've been waiting for — to put on that jersey. It's going to be awesome," he said. "First game here at my new home arena. I'm just looking forward to the first shift."

October 13, 2016: First NHL Goal in First NHL Game (Jets' Season Opener)

https://www.nhl.com/news/patrik-laine-makes-own-mark-in-jets-debut/c-282650130
Patrik Laine makes own mark in Jets debut
No. 2 pick gets goal, assist in win against Hurricanes
by Tim Campbell @TimNHL / NHL.com Staff Writer
October 13th, 2016

Laine's things are a hard, accurate shot, and puck sense, qualities important in his breakout 2015-16 season, when he was on Finland's winning World Junior Championship team, named MVP of the playoffs in Finland's top league when his Tappara team won the title, and named MVP of the IIHF World Hockey Championship when Finland won the silver medal.

His first shot on goal came at 10:42 of the third period, then his next one was a snap shot that rang in off the right post behind screened Carolina goalie Cam Ward at 13:33. It was Winnipeg's first power-play goal in five opportunities and made it 4-3.

With Jets goalie Connor Hellebuyck off for an extra attacker, Laine made a cross-ice pass deep in the zone to captain Blake Wheeler, and Wheeler put it on Mathieu Perreault's tape at the edge of the crease for the game-tying goal with 1:29 left.

Perreault said Laine has been feeling pressure.

"There's a lot of pressure on him. You can tell. You can tell he's feeling it. But I'm very happy to see how he responded late in the third when we absolutely needed a goal. The game had been absolutely [bad] for us all night and he comes up with a big goal. Now we have life, then he makes another good play and we have the tying goal. Even in overtime, he made a great play up the ice and I just missed. It's nice to see him perform that well in the third."

"I've heard that he was a big-time player in big situations and he showed it tonight.

"In the third, when we absolutely needed it with our backs against the wall, he came up big with a goal and an assist at the end of the game. That's what those special players do, they step up at the right times."

With the Jets down 4-2 and about 10 minutes to go, coach Paul Maurice moved Laine up to play with Scheifele and Wheeler.

Wheeler said confidence was the catalyst for Laine.

"It's so hard in this league to build confidence," Wheeler said. "You're kind of starting from scratch. He knows what type of player he is and he knows what he's done in the past, but until you do it on this level, you just have that little bit of doubt.

"I think once you saw him pop that one in, he took off. It wasn't just the chances he was creating, he was winning every puck battle. He looked like a real force out there."

Laine got a roar from the MTS Centre fans during introductions. When he scored in the third, fans were out of their seats with a standing ovation.

"I'd like to get a streak going, score some more goals," Laine said. "It was just easier and easier to play after the goal. There's so much energy when you score. It was an energy boost and it was nice to go out there."
59020-thumb.jpg

October 19, 2016: First Hat Trick in Fourth NHL Game (Three Goals Including OT Winner in 5-4 Comeback Victory after 4-0 Deficit)

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/laine-hat-trick-maple-leafs-jets-ot-recap-1.3813169
'Hat trick' Laine leads comeback over Matthews' Leafs
Toronto blows 4-goal lead, loses in OT
The Canadian Press Posted: Oct 19, 2016 11:16 PM ET Last Updated: Oct 20, 2016 12:38 AM ET

Patrik Laine showed some flash on the ice Wednesday and a sense of humour off of it.

The Jets rookie scored a hat trick, including the winner at 2:40 of overtime, as Winnipeg overcame a four-goal deficit to beat the Toronto Maple Leafs 5-4.

"I think it was just a normal regular-season game," Laine said with a chuckle.

It was anything but for the second-overall pick in this year's NHL draft.

Laine scored the winner right after Leafs rookie Auston Matthews, the draft's No. 1 selection, was stopped by Winnipeg goaltender Michael Hutchinson at the other end of the ice on a breakaway.

Jets defenceman Dustin Byfuglien grabbed the puck and sent it up to Laine, who skated in and fired a high shot past Toronto goalie Frederik Andersen.

The fans at MTS Centre got into the first NHL showdown of the highly touted rookies, chanting "Laine's better."

Laine appreciated the support, but didn't get into his own assessment of Matthews, who had scored four goals in Toronto's season-opening 5-4 overtime loss to Ottawa.

"Yeah, I heard something and that sounds pretty good," Laine said of the biased home fans. "That's their opinion and I'm not going to say anything about that."

Matthews heard the chants, too.

Laine's hat trick gives him four goals and one assist in four games so far this season. Matthews recorded his first assist of the year and now also has five points but in three games.

Jets head coach Paul Maurice said both city's fan bases are lucky to watch Laine and Matthews.

"Two great young players that are going to give their fans reasons to have nights like this over the course of the year, over the course of their careers, starting now," Maurice said.

"We've just seen brilliance from both of them in the first four games of the season. Lucky for Winnipeg fans and lucky for Toronto fans we get to watch two great young players."

Laine then tied it 4-4 on the power play with 55 seconds left in the third period with Maple Leafs defenceman Morgan Rielly in the penalty box for cross-checking Scheifele, who had a pair of assists along with Byfuglien.

cropped_GettyImages-611682988.jpg

October 27, 2016: A Two-Goal Game For Six Goals in His First Seven NHL Games

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/patrik-laine-jets-topple-stars-1.3825160
Laine continues pace, scores twice as Jets topple Stars
Winnipeg rookie has scored 6 goals in 5 home games this season
By Judy Owen, The Canadian Press Posted: Oct 27, 2016 10:53 PM ET Last Updated: Oct 28, 2016 12:36 AM ET

When Patrik Laine was drafted by the Jets this summer, he knew the team's power play had finished at the bottom of the NHL last season.

The 18-year-old forward wanted to help — and he has in a big way.

Laine scored twice on the power play Thursday as the Jets defeated the Dallas Stars 4-1.

"When I came here, they had the worst power play last year so I thought that I could bring something to the power play," Laine said.

"And now I've got a couple goals on the power play. Those are important goals for these games. I'm just trying to help my team to win."

Laine has accounted for four of the five power-play goals Winnipeg has scored through seven games.

His pair of goals gives him six, tying him for the league lead with a number of players, including fellow rookie Auston Matthews of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

"We've played only seven games, but it's nice that I've got those goals and helped my team to win with those games," said Laine, who also has two assists.

Winnipeg was 2 for 7 on the power play and Dallas went 1 for 6.

Stars head coach Lindy Ruff said special teams was the difference.

"Five-on-five, we probably had the edge in the chances, but special teams, they generated a lot of energy and a couple goals," Ruff said.

"We got off to a tough start with that shot going in, but I thought our work ethic inside the game was good."

Jets coach Paul Maurice said Laine doesn't show much emotion when he scores because the sniper is used to it.

"He's a spectacular shooter," Maurice said. "He's a really humble person. It's important to him that he portrays himself like that.

"He's probably not going to be throwing a parade for himself after he scores a couple of goals. He has that expectation."

Laine scored his second power-play goal of the game with six seconds left in a two-man advantage that made it 4-1 at 10:17.

cut.jpg

November 4, 2016: Goal #7 -- A Beauty

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/jets-patrik-laine-scores-two-points-against-detroit/
Jets' Patrik Laine: Scores two points against Detroit
by RotoWire Staff 17h ago • 1 min read

Laine scored a goal and added an assist with four shots on net during Friday's win over the Red Wings.

Laine continues to prove he's comfortable on the biggest stage, and with his scoring upside and high-shot volume, the rookie is also proving to be a solid fantasy asset. His sneaky production in the peripheral categories -- five power-play points and 14 hits -- is a nice bonus, too.

November 6, 2016: His Eighth Goal; A Two-Game Goal Streak

13-3-9260310.jpg

November 8, 2016: His Second Career Hat Trick -- Now the 2016-17 NHL Goal-Scoring Leader

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/patrik-laine-gets-second-hat-trick-jets-crush-stars/
Patrik Laine gets second hat trick as Jets crush Stars
Canadian Press November 8, 2016, 10:52 PM

WINNIPEG — Patrik Laine and Mark Scheifele were humbled about vaulting to the top of the NHL’s scoring lists, no matter how long it lasts.

Laine took over the league lead in goals with the second hat trick of his rookie season Tuesday and Scheifele is now the league’s points leader after the Winnipeg Jets defeated the Dallas Stars 8-2.

Laine, who also had an assist, now has 11 goals and 15 points.

“It’s always unbelievable to score,” the 18-year-old Finn said. “I’m proud of myself and I’m proud of our team.

"I don't want to think about the future, (but) it's amazing to lead the league on the scoreboard."

Scheifele had a four-point outing with two goals and two assists, propelling him to 18 points, one more than Edmonton's Connor McDavid and Chicago's Artem Anisimov.

"It's been a dream of mine," Scheifele said of reaching the top. "It's pretty cool, but there is still a lot of the season left and there are a lot of good players.

"Hopefully, I can stay in the mix. It's pretty humbling. I still have part of my game that I can improve."

CwBk2yxWIAEZtnm.jpg

Thread archive:

Part 1: LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, FEL (2016 Draft)
RW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) II
RW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) III
RW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) IV
LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) V
LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) VI
LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) VII
LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) VIII
LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) IX
LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) X
LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016, 2nd, WPG) XI
LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016, 2nd, WPG) XII
LW Patrik Laine (2016, 2nd, WPG) XIII
LW Patrik Laine (2016, 2nd, WPG) XIV
Current thread: LW Patrik Laine (2016, 2nd, WPG) XV

Last edited by a moderator:

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
Patrik Laine through 3 games.

Winnipeg vs Carolina
18:27
1g-1a
2 shots, 2 hits, 3 giveaways, 1 takeaway
11.01 CF, 16.29 CA, 40.22 CF% - score adjusted
Frequent linemates - Mathieu Perrault, Kyle Connor
Common opponents faced 5v5 - Brett Pesce, Ron Hainsey

Winnipeg vs Minnesota
19:39
0g-0a
1 shot, 0 hits, 0 giveaways, 0 takeaways
16.99 CF, 8.1 CA, 67.71 CF% - score adjusted
Frequent linemates - Mark Schiefele, Blake Wheeler
Common opponents faced 5v5 - Ryan Suter, Jared Spurgeon

Winnipeg vs Boston
19:52
0g-0a
2 shots, 2 hits, 0 giveaways, 0 takeaways
7.42 CF, 11.6 CA, 39 CF% - score adjusted
Common opponents faced 5v5 - Zdeno Chara, Brandon Carlo

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
Anyone else surprised that Laine's corsi numbers are kind of awful?

I thought a sniper was supposed to have a lot of shots and therefore a high corsi percentage.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

I thought a sniper was supposed to have a lot of shots and therefore a high corsi percentage.
His corsi relative numbers are good. But he also gets significantly more offensive zone starts than defensive zone starts (65.6). Prior to yesterday it was above 70%.

Edit: But again, Corsi over 3 games doesn't mean much, you need atleast 20 games to draw any useful conclusions.

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010

When you think of it, doesn't a sniper usually just take that one lethal shot instead of shooting like hell like an AK47? :sarcasm:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

More confused by the conflicting reports. According to other sources, he's the team leader in CF% and Rel-Corsi.

Last edited:

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Laine has surprised me how well he already can handle it in the NHL. He has shown he can play in the top-6 and actually score points from there. But most importantly, I think he has proven the talks about him being a liability defensively false.

Let's face it, a 17 years old Laine from one year ago would have been a liability in the NHL and I don't think no one could have predicted back then that he is playing solid game in both ends in the NHL, especially into his first season.

I'm looking forward to see what kind of improvements we're seeing in his game after 20 games.

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Patrik Laine through 3 games.

Winnipeg vs Carolina
18:27
1g-1a
2 shots, 2 hits, 3 giveaways, 1 takeaway
11.01 CF, 16.29 CA, 40.22 CF% - score adjusted
Frequent linemates - Mathieu Perrault, Kyle Connor
Common opponents faced 5v5 - Brett Pesce, Ron Hainsey

Winnipeg vs Minnesota
19:39
0g-0a
1 shot, 0 hits, 0 giveaways, 0 takeaways
16.99 CF, 8.1 CA, 67.71 CF% - score adjusted
Common opponents faced 5v5 - Ryan Suter, Jared Spurgeon

Winnipeg vs Boston
19:52
0g-0a
2 shots, 2 hits, 0 giveaways, 0 takeaways
7.42 CF, 11.6 CA, 39 CF% - score adjusted
Common opponents faced 5v5 - Zdeno Chara, Brandon Carlo

What is the source of your Corsi stats? others have posted corsi stats that are very different.... just curious

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What is the source of your Corsi stats? others have posted corsi stats that are very different.... just curious
Most people are posting regular corsi and corsi rel %. Those are situation adjusted, which are much more complex in creation. Either way, posting corsi results for less than 20 games is pretty ridiculous. They offer no predictive value in such a small sample size.

I saw someone say this in the Risto thread, a lot of people dislike advanced stats partially because of how often people misuse them. Granted, this is to be expected when people are continually posting corsi-stats for individual games.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Most people are posting regular corsi and corsi rel %. Those are situation adjusted, which are much more complex in creation. Either way, posting corsi results for less than 20 games is pretty ridiculous. They offer no predictive value in such a small sample size.

I saw someone say this in the Risto thread, a lot of people dislike advanced stats partially because of how often people misuse them. Granted, this is to be expected when people are continually posting corsi-stats for individual games.

I understand the flaw in using the small sample size, Im pretty sure I saw quite diff Corsi and Rel corsi in the same 3 game sample size.
Just wondering about why the numbers are so different reported for the same game.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I understand the flaw in using the small sample size, Im pretty sure I saw quite diff Corsi and Rel corsi in the same 3 game sample size.
Just wondering about why the numbers are so different reported for the same game.
Those are score adjusted corsi, which is a much more complex formula than just counting shot attempts for and against. Here is a piece on it. I know about advanced stats because in most cases they are very simple things and hardly advanced. Score and Zone adjusted things are much more complex in creation, as it tries to normalize league average in certain situations then figure out results from there. Here is an article on it. Its a useful tool, but again its a very small sample size. The root of this thought comes from Eric Tulsky from Broad Street Hockey who created score adjusted fenwick.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2012/1/23/2722089/score-adjusted-fenwick

This was expanded to Corsi by the creator of Pucksonnet.com

http://puckon.net/articles/improving-our-score-adjustment.php

Its probably a better indicator than regular corsi, but again, it is fairly useless with 3 games of data.

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA

You can definitely look at them on a game to game basis. It just depends what you take away from it. I'm not posting these stats to somehow say he's a bad player.

If anything, it's more an indictment of Paul Maurice.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You can definitely look at them on a game to game basis. It just depends what you take away from it. I'm not posting these stats to somehow say he's a bad player.

If anything, it's more an indictment of Paul Maurice.
You can't draw anything really from a one-game sample. You need 20 games or so for Corsi to offer any predictive value, and about 40 for Fenwick.

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
You can't draw anything really from a one-game sample. You need 20 games or so for Corsi to offer any predictive value, and about 40 for Fenwick.

I meant that I'm not looking for predictive value. That's what I meant when I said 'depends what you take away from it'.

You can still glean a little about that particular performance by looking at corsi. I would prefer to simply post the number of scoring chances and high danger scoring chances but that site doesn't post them for individual players. The next best thing would be corsi.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010

I don't really know enough about Corsi (legitly, it's pretty new stat to me, never studied it that much), but Laine is 2-way, playmaking, hitting sniper, not just your typical sniper who doens't defend ect. This you can confirm when you just watch him play. Take Liiga playoffs or NHL regullar season, doesn't matter. If you don't know that, it indicates you don't even follow the player. Even thought is shot is accurate and laser like, his passing is as good, and he is many times the first forward on defence, even after being the first guy in offensive zone..

Last edited:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I have also seen corsi which shows Laine is among best in his team. He also gets alot of trust from coach so i believe those corsi over those other that just have popped up by one poster who still doesnt post source.

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
Laine has surprised me how well he already can handle it in the NHL. He has shown he can play in the top-6 and actually score points from there. But most importantly, I think he has proven the talks about him being a liability defensively false.

Let's face it, a 17 years old Laine from one year ago would have been a liability in the NHL and I don't think no one could have predicted back then that he is playing solid game in both ends in the NHL, especially into his first season.

I'm looking forward to see what kind of improvements we're seeing in his game after 20 games.

Yeah, looks like he's taking Maurice's words very literally, that they already know he can score and to secure his spot on the roster, he needs to show he's in no way a liability on the other end of the ice. Or maybe he's just spent too much time with Barkov

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
I have also seen corsi which shows Laine is among best in his team. He also gets alot of trust from coach so i believe those corsi over those other that just have popped up by one poster who still doesnt post source.

Natural Stat Trick

They're reliable, so please don't malign them.

That's the source. And as Leafs93 posted, that is score adjusted corsi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad