LW Oskar Olausson - Barrie Colts, OHL, (2021, 28th, COL)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Top 15 talent, no?

Maybe.

He didn't get the chance to display his skill at the WJC U20 this year but looked good in a forechecking role on the 4th line with limited icetime.
Good finish around the net. Good work ethic and willing to help out defensively. Phenomenal speed.

I've compared him to last year's prospects JJ Peterka and Jacob Perreault; Speedy up and down wingers with good shots and good goalscoring instincts. I think the kid could be the kind of player that slots into a 2nd or 3rd line as a scoring forward. 20+ goals, 40+ points.

That said, I think a lot of people are going to focus on centers and defense in picks 1 through 20 this year. Maybe someone takes their shot at him in the teens, but it's more likely he's picked 20 or later just like Peterka and Perreault. I'm hoping he falls to Detroit in the late 1st or early 2nd personally. I've been a big fan of this kid's skillset since I saw him at the beginning of the season.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Maybe.

He didn't get the chance to display his skill at the WJC U20 this year but looked good in a forechecking role on the 4th line with limited icetime.
Good finish around the net. Good work ethic and willing to help out defensively. Phenomenal speed.

I've compared him to last year's prospects JJ Peterka and Jacob Perreault; Speedy up and down wingers with good shots and good goalscoring instincts. I think the kid could be the kind of player that slots into a 2nd or 3rd line as a scoring forward. 20+ goals, 40+ points.

That said, I think a lot of people are going to focus on centers and defense in picks 1 through 20 this year. Maybe someone takes their shot at him in the teens, but it's more likely he's picked 20 or later just like Peterka and Perreault. I'm hoping he falls to Detroit in the late 1st or early 2nd personally. I've been a big fan of this kid's skillset since I saw him at the beginning of the season.

I disagree. I think he fits pretty comfortably in the 9-15 range. There aren't that many centers and defensemen for teams to target outside of the top seven or eight picks.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I disagree. I think he fits pretty comfortably in the 9-15 range. There aren't that many centers and defensemen for teams to target outside of the top seven or eight picks.

https://thehockeywriters.com/2021-nhl-draft-rankings-zator-april/

That list is just one example, but it's a defense heavy draft at the top, and there are some good forwards that had good D-1 seasons in the OHL that aren't playing that may
I think there will be about 5 forwards and 5 defensemen picked in the top 10 alone. Maybe 5 forwards, 4 defensemen and 1 goalie.
In the 11 to 20 range there are about 3 defensemen and 7 other forwards, mostly centers. I believe that Olausson has the talent to be picked anywhere in this range, but I also see him falling out of it.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Those are all fair points, but I think Olausson has a pretty good edge over those OHL guys if only because he has been playing. Olausson is 11 on my board right now, just outside the cluster of usual suspects, and I don't see that many guys I could see leapfrogging him. Granted, this draft is even more a crapshoot than usual, but even so, I will be rather surprised if he lasts past fifteen.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Those are all fair points, but I think Olausson has a pretty good edge over those OHL guys if only because he has been playing. Olausson is 11 on my board right now, just outside the cluster of usual suspects, and I don't see that many guys I could see leapfrogging him. Granted, this draft is even more a crapshoot than usual, but even so, I will be rather surprised if he lasts past fifteen.

That also makes me wonder how much some GMs will gamble. Last year some of the OHL guys that had decent d-1 years were looking like teens and 20s picks. Will some GMs pick based on that? It will have an overall impact on where Olausson ends up.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
https://thehockeywriters.com/2021-nhl-draft-rankings-zator-april/

That list is just one example, but it's a defense heavy draft at the top, and there are some good forwards that had good D-1 seasons in the OHL that aren't playing that may
I think there will be about 5 forwards and 5 defensemen picked in the top 10 alone. Maybe 5 forwards, 4 defensemen and 1 goalie.
In the 11 to 20 range there are about 3 defensemen and 7 other forwards, mostly centers. I believe that Olausson has the talent to be picked anywhere in this range, but I also see him falling out of it.

After the usual suspects in the top 8 or so, I am not seeing all of these centers you are. I think you and I both know, however, that we have very different opinions about what projects as a center at the NHL level. In the top 8 I agree that teams will load up on centers and defensemen. After that, however, I think the talent is spread pretty evenly between positions

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Winger Oskar Olausson is playing in the HV71 system. He played 16 games in the SHL regular season and two relegation playoff games. All four of his points (three goals and one assist) came in the regular season. Unfortunately, HV71 were relegated and will play in the Allsvenskan next season. He also spent time with the HV71 Under-20 team putting up 14 goals and 13 assists for 27 points in 16 games. Olausson also spent time in the Allsvenskan with Sodertalje scoring three goals and three assists for six points in 11 regular-season games. He also played two games in the qualification playoffs. Olausson represented Sweden at the 2021 IIHF World Juniors but was held scoreless in four tournament games.

A late-2002 birthday, Olausson started his 2019-20 season playing for Sweden at the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup. He put up one goal in the five-game tournament. Olausson helped the Swedish team to a bronze medal. He played 21 games in the J20 league, putting up seven goals and nine assists for 16 points. Olausson also spent time with the HV71 affiliate in the J18 league. He scored six goals and an assist for seven points in seven games.

2021 NHL Draft #31: Oskar Olausson Scouting Report

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
McKenzie last had the kid ranked at 26 I believe, which means there is a chance the Ducks can grab him with their 2nd rounder. But perhaps that is too hopeful

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
This guy looked interesting this year. Think he would have had even more of an impact with more of an opportunity in the pros, but team not doing so well and Zion Nybeck first in line to be the young guy getting most chances.

Would not surprise me to see him go to Barrie after all is said and done after the draft. Especially if he goes in the first round and the drafting team can choose whichever route they desire.

Reactions: MaKarter

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
He has all the tools and measurements. If he puts them together then watch out. Could be a steal in the 20's IMO

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
This kid is going to be a player. Great wheels, great work ethic, good hands, and is willing to throw in defensively. I've been hoping that the Wings could steal this kid since I first saw him play in November. You got a good one, Avs.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AVs drafted a future Bura. Streaky player with an excellent shot, no defensive skills. Safe pick, but better options on the Board.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
With that powerhouse HV71 have i dont see him getting much ice-time. OHL would be a good move. Same goes for Zion Nybeck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad