LW Nils Höglander - Rögle, SHL (2019, 40th, VAN)

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I feel like he could end up being one of the best players out of this draft.

Already hes a great skater, excellent puck handling, very good passer and with a quick release to boot.

And he doesnt shy away from the physical at all.

Couple that with his insane fitness work ethic and it seems the sky the limit with him. Maybe Marty St Louis v2.0.

I love how fearless he is between the dots and getting to the net.

mratch19

Jul 27, 2010
Vancouver
Minute 45 of that video, that flexibility is such a positive!!! Truly believe flexibility is one of the most overlooked aspects of becoming a pro athlete. So excited after seeing Nils "the highlander' Hoglanders film.. looks like an absolute steal!!!! Now... Benning and Aq just settle down on silly trades, overpayments and signings okay? Thanks.

BrettM

Oct 3, 2017
Any chance Hoglander hears his name called in the CHL Import Draft tomorrow?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I wanted him at 29.... but when he was there at 39 I was excited, unfortunetly we didn't grab him. Ive learned to trust the ducks scout team... but hoglander woulda been nice

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
Hoglander is a stud. I had him rated as a top 15 prospect in this draft. He has a very sturdy build for a shorter player that should allow him to do just fine physically at the NHL level.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Word out of Vancouver is he’s been playing very well at camp.

I liked him potentially at 38 until Lavoie was available which was a no brainer to take Lavoie.

I’m hearing this kid has an outside chance at cracking the Canucks opening day roster.

Reactions: Sunan Moon

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I wanted him at 29.... but when he was there at 39 I was excited, unfortunetly we didn't grab him. Ive learned to trust the ducks scout team... but hoglander woulda been nice

I am a huge zegras fan but I am curious what recent drafts makes you trust the ducks scout team so much?

PuckProspects

Jul 23, 2018
They look like good picks, but still have yet to prove it in the nhl.
Going a little bit farther back, Manson, Kase, Rakell, Karlsson, Petterson, Gibson, Lindholm Etc: Were all good value/flat out steals for where they were drafted. Ducks have been one of the top teams in the drafting department.

But really wish they took Hoglander. He's going to be good

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

quackquack

May 14, 2019
Anaheim
Man saaame. Although using our first 3 picks on somewhat small left shooting forwards probably isn't the best bet. I like the Lacombe pick, Tracey over Hoglander may come back to bite us though.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
I like the way he plays, but where’s the scoring for an average sized player; let alone an undersized one?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I like the way he plays, but where’s the scoring for an average sized player; let alone an undersized one?
In any particular U19 SHL season since the lockout, Hoglander is 28th in scoring.
Elite Prospects - SHL Stats All-time season
Considering there are usually a few Swedish forwards drafted in the first couple of rounds every year, I'd say that Hoglander is definitely in solid company.
If Hoglander had scored 5-10 more points he would have gone 15-20 easily, maybe higher, and people would be talking about him like they're talking about Caufield, and I don't know if Caufield has the same type of reputation as Hoglander for playing a tenacious/NHL-style game.
I'd like to see Hoglander on North American ice ASAP.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
In any particular U19 SHL season since the lockout, Hoglander is 28th in scoring.
Elite Prospects - SHL Stats All-time season
Considering there are usually a few Swedish forwards drafted in the first couple of rounds every year, I'd say that Hoglander is definitely in solid company.
If Hoglander had scored 5-10 more points he would have gone 15-20 easily, maybe higher, and people would be talking about him like they're talking about Caufield, and I don't know if Caufield has the same type of reputation as Hoglander for playing a tenacious/NHL-style game.
I'd like to see Hoglander on North American ice ASAP.

Look at his scoring history, not just his SHL season

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Look at his scoring history, not just his SHL season
Hes 18 now.

Im not an expert by any means so correct me if I am wrong but looking back to 2013-14 when he was 13- 14 years old he was playing u18. It seems to me much of his career has been playing with older peers and when playjng at his "own" level hes been closer to a point-ish per game type of player.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
And
Hes 18 now.

Im not an expert by any means so correct me if I am wrong but looking back to 2013-14 when he was 13- 14 years old he was playing u18. It seems to me much of his career has been playing with older peers and when playjng at his "own" level hes been closer to a point-ish per game type of player.
And ppg dwarfs project out how?

They don’t.

I wish him well, I like his game; but he doesn’t project out and never has.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
And

And ppg dwarfs project out how?

They don’t.

I wish him well, I like his game; but he doesn’t project out and never has.

And what are you basing this opinion on? Many scouting bureaus say he has top-6 potential and he was considered by some as a possible mid-1st round pick. If he was 1/2 inch taller, no one would be questioning his potential ability to play against NHL competition.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
And what are you basing this opinion on? Many scouting bureaus say he has top-6 potential and he was considered by some as a possible mid-1st round pick. If he was 1/2 inch taller, no one would be questioning his potential ability to play against NHL competition.

Why appeal to authority? Someone who I suspect has watched him play extensively offered a different opinion. Why isn’t that allowed?

Reactions: The Drop

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017

My eyes and history

He could be 3 inches taller and be nowhere with that production.

Zuccarello at his age was torching leagues in comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad