LW Miles Wood - Boston College, NCAA (2013, 100th, NJD)

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Nice. I'm gonna assume he's not an indefinite lock for a roster spot, but rather if he has a good camp then he might squeeze onto the opening night roster.

Devils fans what do you think?

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Nice. I'm gonna assume he's not an indefinite lock for a roster spot, but rather if he has a good camp then he might squeeze onto the opening night roster.

Hard to say right now, we have a lot of expiring contracts up front so it'll depend on who Shero brings back or signs via free agency. Or trades for I guess. But yea I think that's a safe assumption, if he has a great camp he'll probably make the team but I wouldn't be shocked at all if he started in Albany.

Very excited to see what he can do at the pro level. The kid is a freight train.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

He'd definitely have to earn a spot barring injuries/roster movement. Cammalleri/Boucher and possibly Henrique/Blandisi/Zacha also are candidates to play LW. Wood's game is still kinda raw, so I wouldn't mind it if he worked his way through the AHL.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
I see him being in the AHL most of the season, possibly a late season callup if we look like were making the playoffs

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Now who will be the winner here

First guy, just because of the amount of LW's ahead of him. Starting in Albany will only help. Cammalleri will get hurt at some point so Wood or Quenneville should be the first callup I would imagine.

member 147413

Leafs fan here... Kid is FAST! He's big and plays with lots of intensity, looks like you guys got a keeper.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Wood is physically mature enough to play in the NHL and he has a motor that coaches drool over. He'd probably be most well served with a year in Albany to refine his game (he's very frantic and chaotic at times), but at the same time he's an immediate upgrade to our NHL bottom-6.

I can see it going either way.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Caught the Devils game last night, and wow is this kid fast. He whiffed on a couple premium scoring chances earlier but made up for it with the bad-angle goal.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
He'll probably end up as a good third liner/mediocre 2nd liner. But damn am I in love with his speed. You can tell he's going to impact every game he wants to. Could be a possession monster as he learns and works on his puck handling. He had Hellebyuck beat on a penalty shot attempt but flubbed the backhander, and he missed on another breakaway as well. If his hands catch up to his size and speed he could be something special.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Does he have top-6 potential? Or where do you think he'll slot in long term?

Very hard to say at this point...But holy **** was he impressive last night. Incredible speed and energy. I'd wager he turns into a good bottom six wing. But who knows, if he hones his skills maybe he can be a top six guy. His physical tools alone will allow him to be a useful player.

sunnyvale

Apr 29, 2013
NJ
I was thinking he has a Kreider like skill set that can play like Ryan Callahan in his ranger days, if that makes any sense

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Small statistical comparison:

Wood draft +3 season: right out of prep school, 35 points in 37 games at BC.

Kreider draft +3 season: 2 years at BC already, 45P in 44 games. Kreider did score 23 goals as opposed to Wood's 10 however.

The 2012 Eagles decimated the NCAA that year and won the championship. 2016 was very good but lost in the frozen four.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Does he have top-6 potential? Or where do you think he'll slot in long term?

Jason Chimera 2.0 is likely the reasonable expectation.

With his speed and size, I'm going to expect the Devils to do a lot of set dump-in plays to him last night. He played on a line with Parenteau last night who was just dumping it in and letting him chase all night long. It was like those two were playing fetch.

Kreider draft +3 season: 2 years at BC already, 45P in 44 games. Kreider did score 23 goals as opposed to Wood's 10 however.

The 2012 Eagles decimated the NCAA that year and won the championship. 2016 was very good but lost in the frozen four.

Considering he went NCAA so late, you can still see how raw his game is. He's got some skills, but at times, it seems like his feet move faster than his mind/stick.

Kreider always seemed a lot more methodical with his speed, Wood is a lot more reckless with it, both good and bad. It'll be interesting to see how Wood develops. The Devils might prefer for him to be that reckless ball of energy rather than a Kreider-like forward.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets fan here - thought Wood was terrific last night. Best NJ player on the ice, and one of the best players on either team. Very fast and aggressive. Reminded me of a bit of Darren Helm.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Jason Chimera 2.0 is likely the reasonable expectation.

With his speed and size, I'm going to expect the Devils to do a lot of set dump-in plays to him last night. He played on a line with Parenteau last night who was just dumping it in and letting him chase all night long. It was like those two were playing fetch.

Considering he went NCAA so late, you can still see how raw his game is. He's got some skills, but at times, it seems like his feet move faster than his mind/stick.

Kreider always seemed a lot more methodical with his speed, Wood is a lot more reckless with it, both good and bad. It'll be interesting to see how Wood develops. The Devils might prefer for him to be that reckless ball of energy rather than a Kreider-like forward.

I agree. If he can simply drive to the net with some more control, and show very good and consistent finishing ability/hands around the net, he can surely become an effective offensive player. I like how he gets in on the forecheck and causes turnovers.

sunnyvale

Apr 29, 2013
NJ

Yeah I didn't mean to imply that wood would ever be as gifted offensively as Kreider is because I don't think that will be the case. I just tried to see they are both big and play with a lot of speed and that's how they will generate their offense. But I think he will play like Callahan did during his rangers captaincy. So a more physical, less offense type of Kreider in a way. But more of a 2/3 line tweener vs kreiders 1/2 line tweener

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Yeah I didn't mean to imply that wood would ever be as gifted offensively as Kreider is because I don't think that will be the case. I just tried to see they are both big and play with a lot of speed and that's how they will generate their offense. But I think he will play like Callahan did during his rangers captaincy. So a more physical, less offense type of Kreider in a way. But more of a 2/3 line tweener vs kreiders 1/2 line tweener

Oh, no I wasn't trying to point out those stats in reply to your comment, it just so happened that I decided to post it right after yours, thus showing a possible relation :laugh:

I do agree with your comment though. Stylistically speaking, that's probably quite accurate as I too see him as a 2/3 crash-and-bang power winger. Another poster mentioned Chimera which I can see too.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Had another goal tonight. Besides the speed, I'm very impressed with his ability to clean up chances in front of the net. He seems like he has the potential to make a living in the crease.

His puck control is the main thing he needs work on, but he has been impressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad