LW Miles Wood - Boston College, NCAA (2013, 100th, NJD)

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Devils fourth round in which many of us were confused why we picked him up because he was relatively an unknown. Originally committed to Brown University he rescinded his offer and took an offer from Boston College. Now I don't know anything about him but there's some hype from the Boston College community. And then blog posts like this are posted that are hyping some of our fellow Devil fans. Take it with a grain of salt.

http://thebostoncollegehockeyblog.blogspot.com/2014/03/got-him.html

So does anyone know anything about Miles Wood?

Last edited by a moderator:

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
His development has taken a major jump

I saw a BC Blog saying this was one of their biggest gets ever in terms of recruiting

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
His development has taken a major jump

I saw a BC Blog saying this was one of their biggest gets ever in terms of recruiting
BC Interruption noted that Woods was Over The Boards' top uncommitted prospect and had this quote from his coach at Nobles:
“Miles successfully has worked very hard this season to become a more savvy player with the puck who will take any open ice that is available to him but will move the puck when that is the play to be made. Through the course of this season we have seen a growing level of creativity in his game and a better understanding of how to create more time and space for he and his teammates. An incredibly dynamic player who will attack when he has the puck, he is developing into a more dynamic player who not only has the ability to finish but who has the ability to make those around him better. He is a great kid and a joy to coach.”

BostonCollegeFan

Nov 1, 2008
Yes he has been overhyped recently. However, it does sound like he has improved a lot over the past year. I'm excited to see what he can do at college.

BostonCollegeFan

Nov 1, 2008
I don't get it. He was drafted last year, but will matriculate fall of '15? Is that normal?

You are correct to be confused. Most players that are drafted are in college the following year. Nothing official yet, but from the rumblings online, it is likely he will finish high school over the summer and be at BC in the fall.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
You are correct to be confused. Most players that are drafted are in college the following year. Nothing official yet, but from the rumblings online, it is likely he will finish high school over the summer and be at BC in the fall.

From what I understand (which is probably nothing) him going to BC in the fall is contingent on Gaudreau going pro

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012

Interesting trend that if Wood matriculates to BC in Fall of 14 versus 15, he will be another BC recruit from Noble and Greenough that never graduates from Nobles. Hayes, Arnold, Gilmour, White, and Wood. Chris Calnan I believe did Graduate from there. Wood staying in the prep another year will make him a 20 year old Freshman which is not typical of most BC high end recruits.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Update on Wood if anyone cares at all. He is returning to high school to complete his senior year of hockey at 19 years old. In Devil's training camp, fans and internet viewers finally get to see some of Wood's talents. Defenseman was Reece Scarlett.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
What a rise for this kid, even if he bombs tonight and gets cut. He is among the best at his age level without experience against better players. He could have quite a learning curve as he gets better coaching and competes against better players more often. His physical skill set suggests he could be a top 6 forward.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
8 points in 6 games to start his BC career, strange path to get there but he's getting a lot of hype now

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Top-six potential for sure. Hopefully develops into a power forward role more than Matteau has.

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
Boy, the Devils got a HUUUUUUUUGE steal. This kid is a stud. Literally plays both ways, has huge skill, a lot of grit and great size.

Let's just say, I hope the he stays 4 years and becomes free agent, cause I'd love to have this kid.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Boy, the Devils got a HUUUUUUUUGE steal. This kid is a stud. Literally plays both ways, has huge skill, a lot of grit and great size.

Let's just say, I hope the he stays 4 years and becomes free agent, cause I'd love to have this kid.

Keep your hands off!

Also, I think he only has to stay 3 years as he spent an extra year post-draft in prep school.

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
Can anybody tell me more about him? Seems like a ton of hype around him and I'm someone that can only judge him based on his numbers. Because he was drafted in 2013, he should be evaluated as a player in his junior season, and PPG isn't especially outstanding.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Can anybody tell me more about him? Seems like a ton of hype around him and I'm someone that can only judge him based on his numbers. Because he was drafted in 2013, he should be evaluated as a player in his junior season, and PPG isn't especially outstanding.

Never watched him live, but he has size and speed going for him. At our prospect camp, he won a coaches point contest that spanned over the course of a week, and was considering on and off ice performances. Also, he was the final roster selection for the USA U-20 team last winter. He was largely unknown but still made the team.

As for age and production, I'd temper for now. He's technically a freshmen, even if he's 20. Maybe think of him as a sophomore, since he is the age of a junior, but has freshmen experience, especially when you consider the fact that he's been playing prep hockey, and not in the USHL or the national development team where most top college hockey players come from.

Not that it means much, but his father, Randy, was a 5-time 20 goal scorer in the late 80's/early 90s

Last edited:

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA

Couple things:
He's not playing at a PPG pace. He's playing a 1.2 PPG pace.
PPG in college hockey is a different that PPG in juniors. The average age of players in the NCAA is 21-22 while the average age of the CHL 17-18. Big difference.
We are also just talking about a 10 game sample size. Not exactly something I would jump to conclusions on.

But onto the player, he's got good size (6'1", 185), he plays physical, he plays a strong game, tough on the boards and parks himself in front of the net a lot of the time, he leads the team in PK time for forwards, he also plays 1st line and 1st PP unit and my favorite part of his game is he loves to finish pretty much every one of his checks.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Really solid prospect and I like his game. He's a competitive player. Strong but smooth-strided skater, hard forechecker that causes many turnovers when he engages physically. Has a pretty good set of hands around the net and his playmaking isn't too shabby either.

He kinda does remind of Kreider except higher IQ and better defensive play, though Kreider has faster top speed. I can see him realistically being a middle 6 power winger with scoring touch but if he puts it all together, he could be a solid top 6er.

He's definitely underrated since not as many people are going to catch Eagles games other than the Mass locals. Looks like the Devils got a good one in him, and also Santini.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Really solid prospect and I like his game. He's a competitive player. Strong but smooth-strided skater, hard forechecker that causes many turnovers when he engages physically. Has a pretty good set of hands around the net and his playmaking isn't too shabby either.

He kinda does remind of Kreider except higher IQ and better defensive play, though Kreider has faster top speed. I can see him realistically being a middle 6 power winger with scoring touch but if he puts it all together, he could be a solid top 6er.

He's definitely underrated since not as many people are going to catch Eagles games other than the Mass locals. Looks like the Devils got a good one in him, and also Santini.

Thanks for this, I agree with all of it....very impressed with Wood's development so far and although he's a year older than typical freshmen, I wasn't expecting for him to have such immediate success at the higher level of competition. I really like the Kreider comparisons too. Looks like a brilliant find by Jeremy Conte...really excited about Wood's future

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad