LW Matthew Tkachuk (2016, 6th, CGY) II

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What were their ratios, though?
Per game, I donno. But Marner had the most primary points per game by a decent margin. No way did Tkachuk carry that line. Maybe I'll look in a bit, but no way do I have the time through every single game. But the fact their production didn't change much from switching linemates (and from watching most games live) I can say neither Dvorak or Marner were carried in any way. Considering Marner had a high ES ppg in the Regular season, a higher ES primary ppg in the regular season, ES ppg in the playoffs, and ES primary PPG in the playoffs, I don't know how anyone could make the argue Tkachuk carried that line. He filled his role and was very good at it, he's worthy of a top 5 picks, but don't make absurd statements off a Twitter quote you haven't even verified. All my numbers are from here.

http://www.ohl.prospect-stats.com/playoffs/ES.html

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
What really made me change my opinion on Tkachuk is that he scored a point in 67 of 73 of his team's even-strength goals with him on the ice(according to twitter). That's an absurd number and there's no way that could be down to luck and chance unless you'd bet on winning like 20 lottery jackpots in a row.

I thought that his linemates might have carried him, with this I feel like it actually was the other way around. That's a ridiculous number.

He was not carrying his linemates. He racked up secondary assists. He was third on his line in primary points/game @ ES. Marner and Dvorak were 6th and 7th in the league at that metric. Tkachuk was 21st.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Barring a surprise. I believe Matthew is going 4th this draft. Whether Edmonton picks him or a team trades up to get him.

2nd year in a row a Knight will have gone 4th in back to back drafts.

107 points in the regular season in 57 games, 40 more in 18 playoff games. For a final total of 147 points for his draft season. All in his first OHL season. Which is even more impressive. He fits in there with other similar high picks in recent years.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I'm not high on the guy. I saw him many times this year and wasn't overly impressed. Of the forwards in this class, I would take any of Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, Dubois, Nylander, Keller, or Jost over him (I know I'm in the minority, but that's just my opinion). It'll be interesting to see what he can do with the Knights next year, with Marner and Dvorak gone...I think his numbers will drop off substantially. In any case, we'll have to wait and see.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I'm not high on the guy. I saw him many times this year and wasn't overly impressed. Of the forwards in this class, I would take any of Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, Dubois, Nylander, Keller, or Jost over him (I know I'm in the minority, but that's just my opinion). It'll be interesting to see what he can do with the Knights next year, with Marner and Dvorak gone...I think his numbers will drop off substantially. In any case, we'll have to wait and see.

He's the smartest player in the draft. The next guys like Juolevi and Keller are wicked smart too, but the pace and precision with which Tkachuk makes reads and plays in the offensive zone are incredible.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He's the smartest player in the draft. The next guys like Juolevi and Keller are wicked smart too, but the pace and precision with which Tkachuk makes reads and plays in the offensive zone are incredible.

This is what I saw in my viewings of him. He is incredible down low and just gets it. He's always in the right place, he has tremendous vision and playmaking and a very underrated shot. He also has terrific hand eye which will serve him well as a net front presence on the PP in the NHL. His skating isn't great, but its been overblown because of the injury that he was nursing through the end of the playoffs and mem cup.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto

Jim Benning said:
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree...

...in front of the net, from the top of the circles down, he has unbelievable offensive instincts to make plays.

He's built like his dad, so he can stand in front of the net, tip pucks, deflect pucks, get rebounds - he scores a lot of goals in that tough area of the ice.

...from the first game of the year, all the way through the Memorial Cup and then scoring the OT winner... he was very impressive.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I like Tkachuk, a lot. He deserves the hype he's been getting lately. But I don't think he's a lock to be considered a top 5 best player from this draft. I think he's a lock to be a top 6 forward, and will be somewhere between 45-70 pt power forward, which is deserving of a top 4 pick no matter which way you slice it.

I think Nylander and Keller will both be better scorers though.

Last edited:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Just saw him interviewed on NHL Network.

WOW, he interviews well. I can see why teams like him, really smart and mature and well spoken.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Well, Benning's choice is really easy. At least it fits the mould of drafting large men.

edit: kill me

Last edited:

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Pumped that Tkachuk went to the Flames. He's gonna work real well on a line with Sam Benentt I'm thinking.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I really see no way for Tkachuk to not go either 4. or 5. Then again, it's Benning so maybe he'll pick DeBrincat with the 5th pick or something.

Benning sucks at everything but drafting.

Oh, right. Then maybe he'll trade the 5th pick away for a shutdown defenseman or something, and add a 2nd round pick for good measure. Then again, the receiving team would just pick Tkachuk if available in that case...

And could still go 6.

What are you basing that on? Random. Friedman says the chances of that are "infinitesimal." Top five is set pretty much.

this thread is awesome

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad