LW Martin Chromiak - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2020, 128th, LAK)

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
no iq, selfish player, yes above-average skating and skills but nothing spectacular, should make for a good story teller in beer league 10 years from now thats it

Sounds like the typical Slovak forward then.

I hate to say it because I'm rooting for Slovakia, but I feel their biggest weakness is their lack of systems and tactics. I don't know the ins and outs of the Slovak youth program, but based on the players that have been coming up the last 15 years, I imagine they don't learn the fundaments of a team oriented game the way kids do in Sweden or Finland.

They develop forwards who have good individual skill, who can deke and finish, but who struggle within systems. This is why I think the Slovak national team are able to perform well when confidence runs high, but really struggle when the confidence is low and they dont have a strong fundamental team game to lean on. And offensively, you rarely see any Slovak forwards who are primarely playmakers or are good passers.

The only regular NHL forwards currently are Tatar and Panik. While I think both of them are good players in their own right, neither of them have passing as one of their strenghts. Then there's Jurco and Dano, skilled guys with good shots, but they don't possess the hockey IQ to utilize their offensive strenghts at the highest level. Cehlarik is the guy I feel has the playmaking skills, but he's slow. If he was faster he might be an NHL'er.

Time will tell how good Chromiak will be, but from what I've seen of him I like him better than I ever liked Dano and Cehlarik at the same age. Tatar/Panik/Jurco I can't really comment on because I didn't follow Slovak juniors as much back then.

I feel like Cajkovic is more likely to fall into the group of Dano/Jurco/Cehlarik in the future, but really hope both pan out to become at least top 9 forwards.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What does it matter? He’s responding to criticism of this prospect on the basis of “slavophobia”, that should be enough to conclude what you need to conclude...

Because I'm nearly sure it's not allowed, and if its something vulgar that we'd all be infracted for if the moderators understood what it meant, I don't see why posting it in another language would make it any more acceptable. But maybe it's not vulgar or anything bad. If so, the poster should be able to explain to us what it means, and how it relates to the discussion.

Reactions: thrillhous

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
no iq, selfish player, yes above-average skating and skills but nothing spectacular, should make for a good story teller in beer league 10 years from now thats it

Got to disagree with this. No iq? We must have watched different players. If there's a big knock on Chromiak, it's his compete level, not his iq.

As to the last part, since it happens to more than 50%+ of players drafted in the 2nd round or later, it seems a bit rude when talking about an 18 years old who still has 4-5 years of development ahead. Would make for great conversation if one or more posters said the same thing in all threads regarding prospects who aren't first rounders.

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
Got to disagree with this. No iq? We must have watched different players. If there's a big knock on Chromiak, it's his compete level, not his iq.

As to the last part, since it happens to more than 50%+ of players drafted in the 2nd round or later, it seems a bit rude when talking about an 18 years old who still has 4-5 years of development ahead. Would make for great conversation if one or more posters said the same thing in all threads regarding prospects who aren't first rounders.
This. And i also disagree with that selfish part. I saw Chromiak play at international level xyz times and i always criticized him for not using his shot more often. Because hes got terrific shot but sometimes he's pass the puck too much.
Selfish player with no IQ cant do things like this. And this is just one example.

Last edited:

xyzed

Jun 25, 2012
This. And i also disagree with that selfish part. I saw Chromiak play at international level xyz times and i always criticized him for not using his shot more often. Because hes got terrific shot but sometimes he's pass the puck too much.
Selfish player with no IQ cant do things like this. And this is just one example.

well this guy is obviously trolling or clueless. idk

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

He also said "above average skating", the other knock on Chromiak is his skating is average. I think everything this other poster said about him was wrong.

Reactions: mirec04

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
This kid has no issues with compete or skill. Too keep up with and play with a talent like Wright you have to be very good yourself and on many nights he was driving the line in Kingston. His shot is unbelievable and he is has high end skills. I think this year he will take off and that he will be a steal for any team that takes him in the second or later.

Jabs102501

May 16, 2018
Its gonna be really tough for him in LA - Byfield, Thomas, Kaliyev, Turcotte, Vilardi, Kupari, Fagemo, Anderson-Dolan

God their forward poll is ridiculous
I view it as a positive. LA have drafted really well in the last couple of years, and the fact that they see something in Chromiak is promising.

Reactions: BringTheReign

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Can't believe he was picked after Knazko. He was the best Slovak prospect in this draft class.

Doesn't seem like teams rank Europeans who leave to the CHL that high anymore. Chromiak and Mysak both fell. All the Russian first rounders were guys in Russia. It should teach the ones in the future a lesson to stay in Europe, and come to NA later on.

Jabs102501

May 16, 2018
Doesn't seem like teams rank Europeans who leave to the CHL that high anymore. Chromiak and Mysak both fell. All the Russian first rounders were guys in Russia. It should teach the ones in the future a lesson to stay in Europe, and come to NA later on.
It's kind of a grey area IMO. I feel as if Chromiak going to the CHL was really helpful for him, as it fit his playstyle and was able to play with players like Wright. On the other hand, I would say that Cajkovic would have been much better off if he had just stayed in Sweden and developed there instead of getting into a bad situation at St. John.

Reactions: degustator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad