LW Martin Chromiak - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2020, 128th, LAK)

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Just does not matter who he plays with or at what level, this guy just gets the game. Can play with immense talent like Wright or can get it done being 'the guy.'

He looked like an absolutely ideal complementary winger for QB and Arty yesterday. Starting to wonder if he's this year's 'steal a spot' player.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
2 goals, ends up leading the team in points. But I was disappointed in his performance. If I was a pessimist I would say that he looked like he didn’t care whether the team won or loss for most of both of the games

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Yes he has flaws, but did the scouts get it wrong? A 5th rounder for a kid that keeps scoring in the OHL and on the international stage. What did they see that can't be developed?

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
Yes he has flaws, but did the scouts get it wrong? A 5th rounder for a kid that keeps scoring in the OHL and on the international stage. What did they see that can't be developed?

I think the scouts did overthink his game when he came over to the OHL. He was still playing a more European-like game which scared scouts. Imo, the talent was undeniable and if you could project that he would adapt his game over time, then you certainly didn't have him in the 5th round.

Also, I can see how a scout who mostly watches OHL hockey and wouldn't regularly watch junior Euro games could miss this.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I think the scouts did overthink his game when he came over to the OHL. He was still playing a more European-like game which scared scouts. Imo, the talent was undeniable and if you could project that he would adapt his game over time, then you certainly didn't have him in the 5th round.

Also, I can see how a scout who mostly watches OHL hockey and wouldn't regularly watch junior Euro games could miss this.
I disagree, maybe he could’ve been a late third rounder but his production and play isn’t really to much to write home about of a top 130 pick. And he does still have those glaring weaknesses in his game, that kept him from being a higher pick in 2020.
He’s definitely progressed his skating which has helped his overall game but there are still valid concerns

Last edited:

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Coming off injury now, played in 2 games back. No points and just 1 point in last 5 games going back to pre-injury. Is it radical to suggest him, Wright and Wisdom just aren’t working together as well as they did in 2019-20?

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Coming off injury now, played in 2 games back. No points and just 1 point in last 5 games going back to pre-injury. Is it radical to suggest him, Wright and Wisdom just aren’t working together as well as they did in 2019-20?
And the 6 games before that he had 6 goals in 5 GP…

There are ups and downs.

Looking at Wright the last few weeks, you could say Chromiak was holding him back but Chromiak just played his game.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Goal and two assists last night, how we doing now?
I mean I still would say it’s disappointing, the production. Just inside the top 30 in OHL scoring. Based on his age and talent surrounding him, you’d expect him to have at least 15-20 more points than he does. He should go back to Slovak league for next year, than go to AHL.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I mean I still would say it’s disappointing, the production. Just inside the top 30 in OHL scoring. Based on his age and talent surrounding him, you’d expect him to have at least 15-20 more points than he does. He should go back to Slovak league for next year, than go to AHL.
:facepalm:

That would mean he tops the league in PPG with 15-20 points more. He scores two goals in the WJC as only player of the Slovak team and you called his whole tournament disappointing.

I have no idea what you expect of him, he is no Zigmund Palffy.

You have ridiculous expectations.

Reactions: hellwar9

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
There are presently exactly two players in that top 30 that have played the same or fewer games than MC has.

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018

He's still 19, barely three months older than Oskar Olausson (last year's 28th overall... who finished with 39 points in 43 games in the same league). He should be back next year in the OHL. It's a better option than going to the Slovak league.

I think he's been playing just fine when I watched the Frontenacs this year. Imo, the "should have at least 15-20 more points" is a ridiculous take.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
:facepalm:

That would mean he tops the league in PPG with 15-20 points more. He scores two goals in the WJC as only player of the Slovak team and you called his whole tournament disappointing.

I have no idea what you expect of him, he is no Zigmund Palffy.

You have ridiculous expectations.
YOUR FELLOW KINGS FANS SAID HE WOULD SCORE SIXTY GOALS AND SIXTY ASSISTS THIS SEASON.

Go look at his thread on your own boards. He is playing with the projected first overall pick who is considered to be a potential generational player. His other line mate since halfway through the season scored at better than 0.5 PPG in his 18 year old AHL season. Chromiaks is only 0.14 Better than his DY. His PPG SHOULD be among the top 12-15 players in the league. So where are all the goals and assists than?

How about let’s compare him to some other guys, to see really how his production lines up.

Ty Tullio, another 5th rounder from 2020: 69 pts in 49 games. 1.41 PPG. Tullio with the better production and plays with lesser teammates.

Daniil Guschin, 3rd rounder 2020: 55 pts in 37 games. 1.49 PPG. On the rebuilding ice dogs he is literally carrying their offense by himself.

Rory Kerins, 6th rounder 2020: 84 pts in 50 games. Only one other Soo player in top 30 scoring, driving play through just him and 1 other. Teams can focus on him way more.

How about guys younger than Chromiak?
Matvey Petrov, 6th rounder 2021: 72 pts in 48 games. 1.5 PPG.
Than there’s of course the other CHL examples with players like Joshua Roy.

Why are you acting like I’m speaking sacrilege? I am speaking objectively about a player who I’ve seen a lot of since his U16 days. Im not gonna away from criticism just because he’s a Slovak player. As for the WJC, theres more to a tournament than one period with 2 goals.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad