LW Lawson Crouse - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2015 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Yeah, I was going to say if you don't understand how rarity and value go hand in hand you probably should probably take a quick glance at some econ 1000

You do understand the distinction between rarity and scarcity, don't you? Maybe you should take some intro econ classes.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
The rarity has to be the result of demand.
What? Why? Again, you aren't understanding the distinction between rarity and scarcity. How rare something is has nothing to do with how much is demanded.

Lucic-type players are more of a "rarity" than Claude Giroux types. But there's a larger scarcity for the latter, and hence, more value.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
What? Why? Again, you aren't understanding the distinction between rarity and scarcity. How rare something is has nothing to do with how much is demanded.

Lucic-type players are more of a "rarity" than Claude Giroux types. But there's a larger scarcity for the latter, and hence, more value.

There is a "scarcity" of Lucic type players and as a result their value is higher on average.

Better?

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
There is a "scarcity" of Lucic type players and as a result their value is higher on average.

Better?

Are you saying Lucic is scarcer than Giroux or Getzlaf? Are you saying Lucic has more value than those two because his skill set is scarcer? That's very wrong on two separate levels.

The rarity of Crouse's skill set in itself does not make him inherently more valuable.

Last edited:

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
Are you saying Lucic is scarcer than Giroux or Getzlaf? Are you saying Lucic has more value than those two because his skill set is scarcer? That's very wrong on two separate levels.

The rarity of Crouse's skill set in itself does not make him inherently more valuable.

No, I am simply trying bring some clarity to the confusion over valuation determinants: "I don't understand what rarity has to do what value."

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
No, I am simply trying bring some clarity to the confusion over valuation determinants: "I don't understand what rarity has to do what value."

There is no confusion other than yours. Rarity has NOTHING to do with value otherwise, as WYTD pointed out, limbless hockey players would be worth a premium.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
How valuable is the actual Lucic anyways? A couple high goal scoring seasons (one where he had a bunch of empty-net goals even). It's not overly impressive, his contract at present seems downright awful.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
There is no confusion other than yours. Rarity has NOTHING to do with value otherwise, as WYTD pointed out, limbless hockey players would be worth a premium.

Perhaps the confusion is mine. But I think I understood you correctly when you suggested that value is impacted by scarcity?

To me scarcity and rarity can be used interchangeably (perhaps mistakenly).

Regardless, I'm done beating the the dead horse now. :)

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Perhaps the confusion is mine. But I think I understood you correctly when you suggested that value is impacted by scarcity?

To me scarcity and rarity can be used interchangeably (perhaps mistakenly).

Regardless, I'm done beating the the dead horse now. :)

No worries, to clarify a bit more, rarity has only to do with the frequency of something occurring. It has no inherent implication on value. Something can be one of a kind, but totally worthless.

But relative value DOES change as a function of scarcity. They're not interchangeable. If the demand exceeds the market supply creating a scarcity, the price will rise.

Now, the whole point is that a Crouse-type player may be more "rare" than a Marner or Strome...but that doesn't make him more "scarce" nor is it reason, in itself, for his value to be any higher than it would be purely on merit.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Not that this should change any of your evaluations. But Crouse won't fall past 10 if he somehow managed to slide that far. He's absolutely everything patrick Roy has talked about adding to our organization and pretty much a dream fit if he were somehow still there at #10.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
1Cs are scarce. Look how long it took Calgary to get a potential one. Any Lucic-type power forward could have all the intangibles ever imagined and a team like Arizona would take the potential 1C over them every day of the week.

Regardless of how rare you see a true potential power forward (winger, not a C like Lindros), teams would still prefer to build around a true 1C.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Would you take ROR in the top 10? Guys like Barzal might only be a #2 C and Crouse is a big two way threat that projects as a top 6 winger. Those guys >> Guys like Bozak.

BoDacious Horvat

Sep 1, 2013
Vancouver
Absolutely, I think his ceiling is similar to Landeskog's offensively/physically, can't say he's got the leadership qualities because I don't know too much about him. But a strong, mean LW with a pretty good scoring touch and puck control is worth a top 10.

Marlon Brando

Jun 2, 2015
The Flyers could take a flyer on him.

1469912_642200645821559_765995438_n.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad