LW Lawson Crouse - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2015 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
No thread returned in a search, so lets start this off with Lawson Crouse's EP page and two profile blurbs:
F Lawson Crouse (Kingston, OHL)

Big man-child that has HUGE upside...Goes hard to the net...Smart to be a good PK guy...Can carry defenders
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/10/24/will-connor-mcdavid-be-canadas-world-junior-saviour
A big-bodied forward who gives opposing defenses headaches with his effort on the forecheck…tough to contain with his huge frame and strength…impossible to separate from the puck and consistently is successful winning pucks and generating scoring chances through his hard work…moves the puck well with good vision and passing skill…a strong net-front presence… has decent speed for his size, though he could improve his quickness…plays hard on defense; forces plays and takes away angles…uses his size to play physical, including laying some devastating hits…is a moose along the wall down low…tremendous potential going forward.
http://futureconsiderations.ca/playerprofiler/LAWSON-CROUSE/

...before posting his fight from Friday night with Brendan Lemieux:

Jul 10, 2003
KW
^ He's a bit of a wildcard, Bobby Mac had him at 5 if I'm not mistaken. Personally, I'd guess he goes in the 8-15 range.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Until he shows otherwise, I'm not sure he has the high end offensive ability of some of the other guys at the top of the 2015 draft. I've used the comparison before, but I see him projecting to a guy similar to Andrew Ladd. Good in all situations, hard worker, good leader, with good but not great offensive ability.

Things he does do well: skates well for a big man, has a good shot, is already good defensively, and will fight.

I think he, more than any other player on the Frontenacs, suffered with Sam Bennett going down with injury. Having a playmaking center like Bennett setting him up would have better utilized his skills (big man who drives the net and has the hands to put the puck in the net when he gets there).

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
Is Lawson Crouse the most surprising 17-year-old camp invite in Canadian WJC history?

Generally, people complain that 17-year-olds don't get invited to the Canadian WJC camp enough. When they do get invited, it's generally because they put up really big numbers that are too hard to ignore and it really isn't surprising that they got invited. I can't remember the last time a 17-year-old was invited to camp where I really wasn't expecting it like Lawson Crouse has done. When was the last time a 17-year-old was invited to camp without anyone really seeing it coming? The only one I can think of is John McFarland but even then, he was a hyped prospect having gone first overall in the OHL Priority Selection.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Not really

There's been a love-fest with Lawson Crouse throughout 2014 from the u17s to the u18s to now. There's 1 kid dubbed the next Lucic every year and it's his turn. Last year it was Ritchie, the year before that it was McCarron, before that it was Tom Wilson, before that it was Tyler Biggs, etc.

He's not even the biggest surprise on the Canadian camp roster to be honest.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
There are better 17 year olds that were left off for sure but he's a good player. No way he'd make my roster though.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
Not really

There's been a love-fest with Lawson Crouse throughout 2014 from the u17s to the u18s to now. There's 1 kid dubbed the next Lucic every year and it's his turn. Last year it was Ritchie, the year before that it was McCarron, before that it was Tom Wilson, before that it was Tyler Biggs, etc.

He's not even the biggest surprise on the Canadian camp roster to be honest.

Yes, but none of those guys were invited to WJC camp in their draft years. Crouse is a good player but a 17-year-old who gets invited to WJC camp is generally a really special player. I can't remember the last time a guy who isn't that special got invited to WJC camp as a 17-year-old.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Yes, but none of those guys were invited to WJC camp in their draft years. Crouse is a good player but a 17-year-old who gets invited to WJC camp is generally a really special player. I can't remember the last time a guy who isn't that special got invited to WJC camp as a 17-year-old.

Well some of those guys are Americans lol I was just saying the hype around big guys is getting a little out of control lately.

Matt Dumba was invited in his draft year.

but again, Lawson Crouse isn't that big of a surprise if you've paid much attention to prospects the last couple years, people have been hyping him for a year+ now.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Crouse is big, smart and is good in his own end. I can definitely see why they'd take a look at him, for a 4th line or 13th forward kind of guy. Don't see him making it, however, but he'll probably be there next year.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
NA Central Scouting has him ranked third, ahead of Hanifin, in their most recent draft rankings. Scouts like him.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'm really confused by why he's ranked so high. I get that he's big, I get that he's a good skater, I get that he's great defensively. But unless he puts the puck in the net more I don't see how those skills alone would make him be considered a top-5 pick by many scouts.

I mean, there were plenty of scouts who said that Nick Ritchie might be the most skilled players in last year's draft, but then he slipped to 10th overall and isn't having the best draft+1 season.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
I'm really confused by why he's ranked so high. I get that he's big, I get that he's a good skater, I get that he's great defensively. But unless he puts the puck in the net more I don't see how those skills alone would make him be considered a top-5 pick by many scouts.
I mean, there were plenty of scouts who said that Nick Ritchie might be the most skilled players in last year's draft, but then he slipped to 10th overall and isn't having the best draft+1 season.
I bet if Bennett would be playing then he would be well over the famous ppg.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
So we shouldn't factor in.... Factors?

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying if Crouse is supposed to be a top-5 pick, he needs to put up at least a PPG without Sam Bennett. Plenty of top-5 prospects have produced without help. That's no excuse for Crouse's dreadful lack of production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad