LW Kyle Connor - Michigan, NCAA (2015, 17th, WPG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Never seen him play. Statistically he's extremely impressive. He had a better USHL season this year than Milano, Tuch or Schmaltz. All were first round picks this year. All are a year older. Tuch and Milano played for the USDP team which scored more goals than any other team in the USHL. 1/16 teams. Connor's Youngstown Phantoms? Twelfth in scoring in the league. 12/16. 172gf versus 246gf.

Schmaltz last year? .81ppg. Milano? .58. Tuch? .26.

Connor put up 1.32ppg this season.

Wow that is freaking impressive, so is he looking at the top 10 range then for the upcoming draft?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If he's drafted out of the USHL next summer, and goes on to college, isn't he eligible for that same Blake Wheeler, Justin Schultz, Kevin Hayes UFA loophole?

Why hasn't this been addressed in the new CBA?

rt

May 13, 2004

rt

May 13, 2004
Never seen him play. Statistically he's extremely impressive. He had a better USHL season this year than Milano, Tuch or Schmaltz. All were first round picks this year. All are a year older. Tuch and Milano played for the USDP team which scored more goals than any other team in the USHL. 1/16 teams. Connor's Youngstown Phantoms? Twelfth in scoring in the league. 12/16. 172gf versus 246gf.

Schmaltz last year? .81ppg. Milano? .58. Tuch? .26.

Connor put up 1.32ppg this season.

There.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
That was this year.

EDIT: I guess I need to clarify; the numbers I posted for those three players were for 12-13, while Connors were for 13-14. The reason being he's a year younger. That's why they're useful for comparison.

Sorry my mistake, it should be pointed out Connor is a late 1996 birthday

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Connor was excellent at the U18. Big, great skater, great hands, great playmaker, great two-way player. Exciting all-around player. Listed as a center but played W at the U18 and for some reason I could see him their long-term. Good chance to be a top-10 pick, even in this draft.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
If he's drafted out of the USHL next summer, and goes on to college, isn't he eligible for that same Blake Wheeler, Justin Schultz, Kevin Hayes UFA loophole?

Why hasn't this been addressed in the new CBA?
No. Connor's committed to Michigan in 2015-16, his post-draft year, while Wheeler and Schultz activated the July 1st UFA loophole by playing a post-draft year of Junior A before college. Meanwhile, Hayes, after four years of college, appears to be waiting out for UFA on August 15th, but any drafted college player can opt not to sign and instead wait for their rights to expire so they can sign elsewhere.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
I have a feeling Kyle is going to put up big numbers this year. I would say he cracks the 90 point mark for sure and possibly the 100 point mark. With St. Blues 2nd round pick Maxim Letunov on his wing, they are going to light up the USHL this year.

aorona

Mar 12, 2014
Houston, Texas
Kyle Connor Player Comparison

Hey yall...I know a lot of people hate doing these but I'm wondering if anyone has read or seen any Kyle Connor player comparisons? I've read several places he's an unbelievable scorer. Is that a sniper like Stamkos or a setup guy like Giroux? Thanks!

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Hey yall...I know a lot of people hate doing these but I'm wondering if anyone has read or seen any Kyle Connor player comparisons? I've read several places he's an unbelievable scorer. Is that a sniper like Stamkos or a setup guy like Giroux? Thanks!

Last month I saw Youngstown play the US U-18 team. Connor didn't have a great game (a bunch of the guys in that game had played in Buffalo a couple nights before and didn't look great like White/Greenway) but scored on a great individual effort. Burned by a defenseman then roofed a shot in tight. Off hand that play seemed like something I'd see from Matt Duchene (not implying he's as good as Duchene by any means). It was just one game, but his wrist shot seemed to be lacking some mustard that night.

But I think it was the opening week for the USHL, so perhaps I should have expected disjointed play from everybody. Also it probably didn't help that I watched Connor McDavid the previous night which maybe set the bar pretty high for the others.

That night, he seemed to be playing more LW than center as well.

aorona

Mar 12, 2014
Houston, Texas
Last month I saw Youngstown play the US U-18 team. Connor didn't have a great game (a bunch of the guys in that game had played in Buffalo a couple nights before and didn't look great like White/Greenway) but scored on a great individual effort. Burned by a defenseman then roofed a shot in tight. Off hand that play seemed like something I'd see from Matt Duchene (not implying he's as good as Duchene by any means). It was just one game, but his wrist shot seemed to be lacking some mustard that night.

But I think it was the opening week for the USHL, so perhaps I should have expected disjointed play from everybody. Also it probably didn't help that I watched Connor McDavid the previous night which maybe set the bar pretty high for the others.

Cool…thanks man. I've read a couple of different profiles and articles on him that make him seem a little like Tavares…obviously not as good…and a better skater. But just a pure scorer. Not a straight sniper (Stamkos) or straight playmaker (I guess someone like RNH…or Thornton)...

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012

Regarding your comment about White/Greenway that night - White was diagnosed with Mono shortly after that game and was reportedly not feeling well for weeks. Not sure about Greenway or Conor that night or how they played.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I really don't like guys staying around for their third year in the USHL for their draft year like Connor has done, but he is still putting up solid numbers without a lot of talent around him.

I expect him to have big totals by years end even though his numbers aren't earth shattering at the moment. He is still one of the best pure snipers in the draft and still an easy top 20 pick.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Well looks like Connor is on fire and really starting to tear it up! Starting to rise in scouting lists getting some top 10 love. I hope he finishes strong and cements himself inside that top 12 where he belongs. Larkin and Connor next year will be ridiculous for the Wolverines!!

Ace88*

I think he goes 12-16, and whoever gets him is stupid lucky. Could be the mid 1st steal. Every time i watch him he is somehow the best player on the ice with little to no fanfare.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think he goes 12-16, and whoever gets him is stupid lucky. Could be the mid 1st steal. Every time i watch him he is somehow the best player on the ice with little to no fanfare.

Yep, even when he doesn't dominate, even when he's off his game, he's clearly the guy everything revolves around and you can always pick him out of the crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad