LW Kyle Connor - Michigan, NCAA (2015, 17th, WPG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I just wanted to get some talk going about Kyle Connor - late 96.

Kyle is playing for the Youngstown Phantoms of the USHL, and without question in my mind is the best player in the league already.

I was a very big fan of Nick Schmaltz the past few seasons and he hasn't disappointed. Nick is a lock for a first round selection in June, and I am going to say the same about Kyle for next year.

He just plays the game so smart at times and always knows exactly where to be on the ice. I feel his stats should be even better because when you see him play you just feel like he can take over a game at will. His shot is as accurate as it gets and has been a goal scorer since his tier-1 days with Belle Tire.

At 6'0 165, size isn't a concern at this point. He is one of the more skilled players to come out of the USHL in some time/ The Michigan native is set to suit up for the Wolverines in 2016...though some CHL poaching seems likely.

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
I alwasy get confused with this and have no idea how it works. Any chance he gets invited to join the USNTDP program or invited to tryouts? Or is he already past that point?

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Connor is better than Schmaltz now. The 16 year old problem of inconsistency is there, which is something he hopefully gets rid of next year. He doesn't dominate enough for my liking considering his skill level. When he does, he's on another level and make plays his linemates aren't good enough to cash in on or support.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I alwasy get confused with this and have no idea how it works. Any chance he gets invited to join the USNTDP program or invited to tryouts? Or is he already past that point?

Given the fact that Youngstown seems unlikely to make the play-offs I'd imagine there's a chance he could be added to the US team for the U18 world championships. That team will primarily be composed of NTDP players but occasionally they add players from outside the program that could be difference makers.

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
Given the fact that Youngstown seems unlikely to make the play-offs I'd imagine there's a chance he could be added to the US team for the U18 world championships. That team will primarily be composed of NTDP players but occasionally they add players from outside the program that could be difference makers.

Thanks for the input. I did not know that they did this. Always thought it was just the NTDP team. Hopefully he gets that chance to make an impact at a tournament like that.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
though some CHL poaching seems likely.

Drafted by Saginaw if I remember correctly.

Although with Saginaw's recent luck with getting guys to report:

Compher (Michigan)
Copp (Michigan)
Nieves (Michigan)
McCoshen (BC)
Jankowski (Providence)

I wouldn't be too worried about him taking the CHL route.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I was just looking at USHL stats for this season and noticed this guy as a 17 year old finished 2nd in scoring. Is he a first round lock next year? Not knowing much about him his size seems pretty nice, couple that with some offensive skill I have to guess that's a combo that scouts will like

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I was just looking at USHL stats for this season and noticed this guy as a 17 year old finished 2nd in scoring. Is he a first round lock next year? Not knowing much about him his size seems pretty nice, couple that with some offensive skill I have to guess that's a combo that scouts will like
He's a lock for the first round, I'm certain he'll go top 15.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
As it stands, Kyle has put himself into a nice position to go very high. Some posters and sites/services have him inside the top 10. He was the best player game in and game out for the US at the u18 IMO. A pure talent that can do even more if he buckles down. Similar to Schmaltz where you just see the massive skill and are always wanting more from him.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
As it stands, Kyle has put himself into a nice position to go very high. Some posters and sites/services have him inside the top 10. He was the best player game in and game out for the US at the u18 IMO. A pure talent that can do even more if he buckles down. Similar to Schmaltz where you just see the massive skill and are always wanting more from him.

That he was. Way different from the player I saw in November - I wouldn't have been able to tell you it was Connor dominating possession for USA U18. Based on his in season progression, he is well on his way to becoming a complete player and captain material. I didn't expect to see such 100% effort from a pure goal scorer.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
As it stands today, he's minimum a top 15 pick next year, very likely top 10, especially if his game keeps progressing the way it did the latter half of last season. Look forward to seeing him next season.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
It could be scary the type of numbers he puts up next year playing on the line with Letunov. Connor was the best player in the league(Non NTDP) last year on one of the worst teams.

dwanmaster*

Yeah he is going to destroy the USHL next year. Who is the highest player drafted out of the USHL non NTDP? Okposo?

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I believe he is going to University next season
As far as I have seen, he'll be back in Youngstown next season and will enroll at Michigan in fall of 2015.

Keep in mind that because of his late birthday, he is likely entering his senior year in high school this fall.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
You may be correct

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=177671

Has him in Michigan in 2015. I just saw next season Michigan and didn't read 2015/16
I know, I work on that site.
He would have gotten a statline for 2014-15 soon enough as I have been inputting the leaked USHL 30 rosters lately, but I am only up to Dubuque so far as I have been a bit busy lately.
I just put it in though, so no confusion now. :p:

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
It could be scary the type of numbers he puts up next year playing on the line with Letunov. Connor was the best player in the league(Non NTDP) last year on one of the worst teams.

As a Blues fan, I have no idea of Letunov's skill and I would rather want to find out. I heard he was skilled but marked down severely for his weight, but that's it. How much has Connor benefitted Letunov from them playing together? Is Letunov just a result of Connor, or do they compliment each other very well?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
So anyone wanna do a rundown on this guy?

Never seen him play. Statistically he's extremely impressive. He had a better USHL season this year than Milano, Tuch or Schmaltz. All were first round picks this year. All are a year older. Tuch and Milano played for the USDP team which scored more goals than any other team in the USHL. 1/16 teams. Connor's Youngstown Phantoms? Twelfth in scoring in the league. 12/16. 172gf versus 246gf.

Schmaltz last year? .81ppg. Milano? .58. Tuch? .26.

Connor put up 1.32ppg this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad